The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Should Technology Be Banned Behind the Bench?

Rate this topic

I feel as technology is getting to become more dominant in our society, it's starting to hinder the excitement of sport.

We've experienced it throughout the season, and again in the Avs game 7 game. Where momentum has shifted and the game is exciting, only to have the call withdrawn because of mere millimetres (or inconclusive evidence). 

As you watch the coach's bench, you can see the coach quickly review the play on an Ipad to see if there is a call that they can try to overturn. A call that can't be determined by the naked eye, can be slowed down and paused by technology, and used to change the game completely. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposing the idea of a coach's challenge, but I think coach's challenge was put in play for more blatant offsides. I am saying that technology should not be allowed to be used by the coach's and players during a game. 
If they feel that there was a play that was offside, it is because they saw it with their own eyes, they didn't watch it through a screen. 

I believe this also gives some of the power back to the referees, bring back the game's rawness, and it should lead to less stoppage within the game. What do you think? 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

No.  I want robot/ A.I. refs and linesmen making nothing but accurate calls.  And robot Willie Desjardins behind every bench chewing gum at exactly 120 beats per minute, as nature intended it.

giphy.gif

RH1mWJo.gif

That being said.. there should be a very short time window in which a bench can challenge a play. This system now where a bench can delay the game because they have reviewers behind the scene taking frame by frame, multi angle analysis of the play so as to inform the bench whether to challenge or not, needs to end.  This was the problem with baseball's introduction of the bench challenge.  They were coming in way late, after an off field team of replay experts had way too long to make sure the bench "got it right".  And this millimeter nick picking is not in the spirit of the rule change.  So they put a very short time window on it, and it is better now.  The mistake needs to be egregious enough in real time that anyone watching on the bench could see that the call was botched.  Expect something similar to come through in the NHL.  Also, I have no problem at all with players watching replays on the tablets.  This clever use of replay has probably employed a whole bunch of new people around the league, and as a result, made the game better.

Edited by xereau
  • Haha 1

I'll be honest, the constant push to take human error out of hockey in general is something I don't particularly care for past reviews of goals. Sports for me are pure entertainment. I'm here for the dramatics/heartbreak just as much as the success. When you start trying to work flaws out of it and dehumanize what's happening, I think you lose some of the entertainment value.

I understand why things have trended that way and I also understand when people enjoy it, but it's not how I personally like to consume entertainment. I want the unexpected, not perfection.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, xereau said:

RH1mWJo.gif

I'd like to believe in this Willie gif, he is coaching LA vs the Canucks. Kovalchuk has just scored in 2nd of the game. Willie is pissed he didn't bench him sooner. 

Back on topic, at this point I don't know why they haven't put sensors in the puck, in the boards along the blueline, along the ice at the blue line and goal line. As well as in the posts. As well as several HD cameras over top of the blue lines and in the boards. The NHL released the "definitive" photos of the offside goal, they looked like they were taken from a highway camera. 

7 hours ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposing the idea of a coach's challenge, but I think coach's challenge was put in play for more blatant offsides. I am saying that technology should not be allowed to be used by the coach's and players during a game. 
If they feel that there was a play that was offside, it is because they saw it with their own eyes, they didn't watch it through a screen. 

While I agree with your reasoning, I think that banning technology behind the bench will only push it to a different location.  They would just look at the call off-site and get a message to the coach in some manner.

I think it would be better to axe off-sides as a reviewable play.

Make it so each team has a challenge flag. It can be only used once in a game. And you lose your timeout if you are wrong. 

Regardless of the call. Offside, goal review. etc. 

Unless it's overtime in the playoffs where the goal gets reviewed automatically. 

Technology isn't going anywhere whether you are for it or not - there's just too many billions of dollars at stake on these single calls ( or non-calls if you prefer that term).  

I just hope,  for the integrity of the sport,  that technology doesn't have to decide an elimination game in the finals. But one could argue that it came pretty close to that in game 7 last night in SJ unfortunately.   

Knowing and accepting technology in the sport,  I feel it hasn't been perfect  (nor would straight human refereeing either mind you), but imo they're doing the best they can to implement it during the games.

32 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Make it so each team has a challenge flag. It can be only used once in a game. And you lose your timeout if you are wrong. 

Other than having an actual flag, isn't that the way it is now?

16 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Technology isn't going anywhere whether you are for it or not - there's just too many billions of dollars at stake on these single calls ( or non-calls if you prefer that term).  

I just hope,  for the integrity of the sport,  that technology doesn't have to decide an elimination game in the finals. But one could argue that it came pretty close to that in game 7 last night in SJ unfortunately.   

Knowing and accepting technology in the sport,  I feel it hasn't been perfect  (nor would straight human refereeing either mind you), but imo they're doing the best they can to implement it during the games.

I'm not against the idea of technology in the sport. I'm saying to eliminate it from being used by coach's while the game is going on. Things like using an Ipad to check offsides, or to allowing a goalie to watch a shooter's old shootout videos seconds before you face him. 

If a coach has a challenge, absolutely technology can be used to verify. I just don't believe in the coach being able to watch the play frame-by-frame on a screen and then deciding to challenge. 
If you're going to challenge a referee, who's calling the game based on what they see, then you should have to challenge based on what you see. Simple. 

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Isn't it a different situation for offsides and goals?  I just think it should be one incident per game regardless. 

Not that I'm aware of.  The review only happens on a goal.  It's just that they can check if the play that lead to the goal was actually offside.

And you can only request a review if you have a timeout left.  If you lose the review, you lose your timeout.  If you don't have a timeout, you can't request a review.

As the old saying goes, once you open Pandora's Box...

Maybe they need 3 or 4 more officials on the ice to make sure they don't miss anything! Cuz you, know, if four refs can't see it, maybe more eyes is what's needed! Football has like 7!

• Haha 1

I like the idea of one (flag or ?) per game.   Lose the challenge and you lose your timeout.  Like NFL football all scoring is reviewed in the last two minutes of a game or even last one minute.  Football and basketball have time clocks which teams need to adhere to, getting the next play or ball in play done.  Hockey players can drag their butts to the bench, goalies can have an equipment malfunction in order to give their bench video gurus time to review a possible challenge.  

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Unless it's overtime in the playoffs where the goal gets reviewed automatically. 

interesting idea, it would cut down on the use of the challenges. 

It really depends on the ref, if its an honest one then less tech is fine, if its a tool like Sutherland I want him out of the influence of the game as much as possible.

I'd rather see reviews of head shots, than more ways to look at an offside. 

I remember the heartbreak of Joel Otto winning the series in '89.  This was an illegal goal (based on rules at the time) that would not have stood up against video review, which wasn't in place until the following season, or one after that.  The Flames went on to win the cup that year.

So, no.  Take the reasonable steps to Get It Right.

No issue with putting a time limit on making the call to try to keep the game flow going, but horrible calls ruin the entertainment value as well as interrupted game flow.

20 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd rather see reviews of head shots, than more ways to look at an offside. 

I could go with that.  That would fix the garbage call that turned the Vegas game around, and catch the BS that took Baer out this year.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

I'm not against the idea of technology in the sport. I'm saying to eliminate it from being used by coach's while the game is going on. Things like using an Ipad to check offsides, or to allowing a goalie to watch a shooter's old shootout videos seconds before you face him. 

If a coach has a challenge, absolutely technology can be used to verify. I just don't believe in the coach being able to watch the play frame-by-frame on a screen and then deciding to challenge. 
If you're going to challenge a referee, who's calling the game based on what they see, then you should have to challenge based on what you see. Simple. 

Are you going to sensor what the in-house media team does or doesn't display on the main score-clock video screen?  Because unless you do that and keep the fans and everyone else in the dark about what's going on they're (coaches and players) are going to be seeing every replay on the score-clock screen anyway.  Further to that, every coaching team has a video-replay guy in a booth somewhere upstairs in the rink watching everything several times in super slo-motion from every angle they have access to - these guys are directly linked through radio to the coaches on the bench telling them what they should/shouldn't challenge. 

Banning tablets/screens from the benches will do absolutely nothing to stop the use of technology during the flow of the game imo.  Before coaches had access to tablets on benches it wasn't uncommon for them to lean over into the small area between the benches where the broadcast camera crew was stationed to watch their replays on the cameras themselves. 

Bottom line, technology ain't going anywhere except to be even more entrenched in the game imo.