The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Should Technology Be Banned Behind the Bench?

Rate this topic

If anything, they need more technology in general.  

The NHL should have cameras at all angles, in 8K, and very high frame rates.  Teams shouldn't be required to throw out challenges.  The league should automatically be processing everything, so off-sides are automatically called, etc.  

I'm surprised they haven't put a sensor in the pucks by now. And then sensors across the blue lines and goal lines, to prove offsides, goals, icing, etc. As for refs, they're always getting in the way of a clearing attempt, passes.

The question should be whether the incident being reviewed had a demonstrable and immediate impact on the the resultant outcome. Landeskog’s role in  the Colorado goal either in aide to his teammates or as a detriment to the defending Sharks surely has to be viewed as negligible at best. And yes, I am more than aware that rules are rules. Utilize technology by all means but someone, somewhere should have been allowed a measure of discretion to make a just determination.

57 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I was thrown out of Rogers for wearing advanced technology item:

slide_192067_381293_free.jpg

I wanted a pair, but back then $1 was big money, bought a pop, a bag of chips and a comic instead.

• Upvote 1

Offsides is a rule to dissuade cherry picking and protect goalies.  Goalies are protected by their crease now and if someone is cherry picking they are putting their team in defensive jeopardy. 

It is a rule for soccer, not even necessary in hockey. 

Think about how much more offence you would have if you had no offsides or if once you established onsides, the puck had to clear the red line to clear the zone.

Anyway, it isn't protecting the players and the integrity of the game is challenged by the way the refs call the game, not by the occasional missed offsides.  Get rid of the review or even better get rid of offsides all together, the game would flow much better.