The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC Money Laundering Report Released Today - BC Ranks 4th in Canada

DonLever

4 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

So what I'm about to say is only based on a friend that formerly worked at PWC, but he also explained that nobody catches money launderers because forensic accountants working for the government get paid a minimal wage compared to what a CA can make at one of the big four firms. So, you basically get a REALLY small number of well-intentioned and bright accountants trying to track down money-launderers... and then the rest are those that weren't really qualified to get jobs elsewhere. Again, he certainly wasn't painting everyone with the same brush, just saying that it is hard to attract anyone to these jobs when the pay isn't competitive. 

Totally agree. The government is happy to lowball to get what I believe they call a minimum viable product.

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

This country needs an overhaul. Canada should be considering the lives of those who contribute to the well-being and health of the country over those who line the wallets of politicians.

If you ask most people they'd agree with that statement, yet we allow ourselves to get BS'd over and over for the last few decades. Why? 

well for home owners, its kind of exciting to see that equity number keep going up, and heck whats another few grand on that line of credit when your house price doubles in 4 years eh? so we're complicit in the thing that way. And getting into major household debt too - thats the thing thats going to come back to really hit us hard sooner than later, once the home equity starts to drop in a big way those lines of credit now become huge anchors you can't get out from under. Scary times ahead on that front. 

We have to vote differently, we have to vote in people that recognize what you're talking about, and if they don't do it we need to get off our asses and protest like they did pre-1970s.  Maybe crushing household debt will be the driver for that. 

I still believe in the system and that there are good people out there who want to change things for the better. Once we've done all we can as voters and citizens I think you'll see major change. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Totally agree. The government is happy to lowball to get what I believe they call a minimum viable product.

You get what you pay for.

Just like when we pay BC public school teachers the lowest wages in Canada comparable to Prince Ed Island teachers.....

Then we complain about teacher shortages and classes that have had 85 different substitutes in the class this year as there are no teachers even on the list to take over the class.

Good luck trying to recruit out of of province teachers to move to BC to pay 70 % more for their housing and take  up to a  20,000 pay cut ... Yah thats going to happen. 

BC is a very messed up province.   Expensive housing and crappy wages.....    

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

You get what you pay for.

Just like when we pay BC public school teachers the lowest wages in Canada comparable to Prince Ed Island teachers.....

Then we complain about teacher shortages and classes that have had 85 different substitutes in the class this year as there are no teachers even on the list to take over the class.

Good luck trying to recruit out of of province teachers to move to BC to pay 70 % more for their housing and take  up to a  20,000 pay cut ... Yah thats going to happen. 

BC is a very messed up province.   Expensive housing and crappy wages.....    

I wonder if our fabulous (clearly by far the best in Canada) drives our housing prices up a lot more than money laundering?

Canadians retire here (along our south coast) and immigrants choose this as their number one spot too.  I think our local population in the GVRD is doubling in size too fast, and housing prices reflect that pressure.  

If we really want to fight crime, then have capital punishment for these bad criminals.  No trial needed. Just shoot them.  Having a government that is shooting people would also serve to reduce house prices, because far less people would want to move here.  See!  It's a win ... win.   

1 hour ago, The Sedge said:

To be fair, Hawaii (or at least some of the islands) has many of the same real estate issues that we have in BC.  Property prices and rents are through the roof and people who work in the state have a hard time finding affordable accommodation.  As much as I'd love my own little vacation property in a tropical destination, I believe that the people who live and work in there should be able to afford their own place to live as well.

They didn’t have issues with dirty money buying up their real estate though.  At least those people that bought real estate vacation there, or rent it to vacationers that go there and spend money that helps their economy. It’s a catch 22 in Hawaii....most of their economy is based on tourism.  They don’t like so many tourists, but it keeps many of them employed. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

They didn’t have issues with dirty money buying up their real estate though.  At least those people that bought real estate vacation there, or rent it to vacationers that go there and spend money that helps their economy. It’s a catch 22 in Hawaii....most of their economy is based on tourism.  They don’t like so many tourists, but it keeps many of them employed. 

Similar circumstances here.  We don't want to have a ballooning population growing too fast for the infrastructure to hold.  Yet, without the population growth, we don't have the housing industry, which drives our economy.  

At least Plecas tells it like he sees it...

Updated: May 9, 2019

B.C.’s controversial Speaker of the house Darryl Plecas has delivered a strange speech to around 150 politicians at the Lower Mainland Local Government Association’s annual meeting.

In the 30-minute sermon, Plecas told the gathering of municipal leaders that basically people don’t trust leaders, there’s a scarcity of ethical leaders and the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Halfway through, one female politician called out, “I feel like I’m being insulted as an elected official. I feel like I’m being talked down to.”

Plecas responded, “I’m not saying that everybody who is in elected office is horrible. I am saying it’s a fact that most Canadians think that … We have a shortage of real leaders.”

Plecas — who defected from the B.C. Liberal party to become Speaker and secure the current B.C. NDP-Green alliance — had begun his speech by telling the crowd, “Democracies everywhere are crumbling,” pointing to studies claiming most people under the age of 30 would prefer a dictatorship to a democracy.

House Speaker Darryl PlPlecas — also noted for his role in bringing down the two highest-ranking non-elected legislative staff in an expense scandal — challenged leaders to come to the legislature some time.

“Come to the leg and watch question period … We have people disgracing themselves at every single turn,” Plecas said, adding he gets letters from teachers who bring students into the legislature during question period who are appalled by the politicians’ behaviour.

He then went on to paint a dark global picture, claiming visiting ambassadors and dignitaries shared stories with him about the collapse of institutions.

“They talk about this every time,” Plecas said. “The sorry state of affairs around the world and how worrisome it is, how much trouble we are in, how things are starting to fall apart, how institutions are falling apart.”

From there Plecas talked about how few good leaders there are, and how good leaders are not always ethical leaders. He said “people often get elected to office because people don’t know them.”

“I can introduce you to lots of people who are seen as good leaders. Hells Angels have good leaders, organized crime generally has good leaders, Mafia has good leaders. As much as I personally despise Trump, he must be doing something right. Most Americans think he’s great,” he said.

He then made an odd statement comparing lack of genuine consultation on issues to a sexual assault.

“It’s not just about getting something done as a leader. It’s about getting it done in a certain kind of way. It’s about doing it in a very collaborative kind of way … making sure that everybody that’s affected has a say.

“It’s like First Nations people say, when people say that the government say that we’re consulting. What a bunch of rubbish. No, we don’t want consulting, that’s like, if that was OK you could say to somebody who was sexually assaulted, look, consult me first. It’s stupid. It has to be a case where it’s collaboration.”

At the end of the speech, Plecas apologized to anyone he had offended, then painted a very dystopian view of the future.

“I do want to emphasize that nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing is more important for people in elected office (than to lead well), and we have to get the alarm bells going because if we don’t we’re going to be in very serious hot water here, and I would say it’s not going to be in the too distant future.”

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/plecas-delivers-bizarre-speech-to-municipal-politicians-at-harrison-hot-springs

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we really want to fight crime, then have capital punishment for these bad criminals.  No trial needed. Just shoot them.  Having a government that is shooting people

So, you want the government to start shooting themselves?

I'm all for it!

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

At least Plecas tells it like he sees it...

Updated: May 9, 2019

B.C.’s controversial Speaker of the house Darryl Plecas has delivered a strange speech to around 150 politicians at the Lower Mainland Local Government Association’s annual meeting.

In the 30-minute sermon, Plecas told the gathering of municipal leaders that basically people don’t trust leaders, there’s a scarcity of ethical leaders and the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Halfway through, one female politician called out, “I feel like I’m being insulted as an elected official. I feel like I’m being talked down to.”

Plecas responded, “I’m not saying that everybody who is in elected office is horrible. I am saying it’s a fact that most Canadians think that … We have a shortage of real leaders.”

Plecas — who defected from the B.C. Liberal party to become Speaker and secure the current B.C. NDP-Green alliance — had begun his speech by telling the crowd, “Democracies everywhere are crumbling,” pointing to studies claiming most people under the age of 30 would prefer a dictatorship to a democracy.

House Speaker Darryl PlPlecas — also noted for his role in bringing down the two highest-ranking non-elected legislative staff in an expense scandal — challenged leaders to come to the legislature some time.

“Come to the leg and watch question period … We have people disgracing themselves at every single turn,” Plecas said, adding he gets letters from teachers who bring students into the legislature during question period who are appalled by the politicians’ behaviour.

He then went on to paint a dark global picture, claiming visiting ambassadors and dignitaries shared stories with him about the collapse of institutions.

“They talk about this every time,” Plecas said. “The sorry state of affairs around the world and how worrisome it is, how much trouble we are in, how things are starting to fall apart, how institutions are falling apart.”

From there Plecas talked about how few good leaders there are, and how good leaders are not always ethical leaders. He said “people often get elected to office because people don’t know them.”

“I can introduce you to lots of people who are seen as good leaders. Hells Angels have good leaders, organized crime generally has good leaders, Mafia has good leaders. As much as I personally despise Trump, he must be doing something right. Most Americans think he’s great,” he said.

He then made an odd statement comparing lack of genuine consultation on issues to a sexual assault.

“It’s not just about getting something done as a leader. It’s about getting it done in a certain kind of way. It’s about doing it in a very collaborative kind of way … making sure that everybody that’s affected has a say.

“It’s like First Nations people say, when people say that the government say that we’re consulting. What a bunch of rubbish. No, we don’t want consulting, that’s like, if that was OK you could say to somebody who was sexually assaulted, look, consult me first. It’s stupid. It has to be a case where it’s collaboration.”

At the end of the speech, Plecas apologized to anyone he had offended, then painted a very dystopian view of the future.

“I do want to emphasize that nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing is more important for people in elected office (than to lead well), and we have to get the alarm bells going because if we don’t we’re going to be in very serious hot water here, and I would say it’s not going to be in the too distant future.”

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/plecas-delivers-bizarre-speech-to-municipal-politicians-at-harrison-hot-springs

umm, i'd like to see those studies lol

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Expensive housing and crappy wages..... 

My wage in 1996      $20.04

My wage in 2015      $26.81 same job.

Wonder what inflation went up by during those years?

https://inflationcalculator.ca/historical-rates-canada/

looks like 38% not including 2015-2019     add 38% to $20.04 get $27.65    I'm reasonably sure this would look even worse if I was better than just a "do I have the correct change" kind of mathematician.     

Bottom line, my wage has not kept up with Stats Can's inflation rate. 

" Stats Can's inflation rate"

Don't think the Stats Can rate includes everything, irrc fuel and tax increases are not included?

Edited by gurn
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, gurn said:

looks like 38% not including 2015-2019     add 38% to $20.04 get $27.65    I'm reasonably sure this would look even worse if I was better than just a "do I have the correct change" kind of mathematician.     

Just out of curiosity is that a unionized wage increase ?

15 minutes ago, gurn said:

Don't think the Stats Can rate includes everything, irrc fuel and tax increases are not included?

I remember having a mill job back in the 70's.  My wage was a little over 13 bucks an hour, and guys were excited when we got a raise that brought us to 100 dollar/day workers.  I wonder what the mill guys get paid now?  I just remember 100 bucks a day was a good wage back then.  

17 minutes ago, gurn said:

I've experienced the same thing with my job. Wage increases do not keep up with inflation and we have a new contract coming up and the company has yet again offered a pittance in relation to CoL. My bills are going up every year but my income is flat.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I remember having a mill job back in the 70's.  My wage was a little over 13 bucks an hour, and guys were excited when we got a raise that brought us to 100 dollar/day workers.  I wonder what the mill guys get paid now?  I just remember 100 bucks a day was a good wage back then.  

I worked  30 years ago on gas line projects as a labourer... my wage back then was very similar to what entry level workers are getting now days in the lower mainland....

Its a crime how low BC wages have remained.....     The social costs of families struggling to pay bills is never recognized.... 

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

No one can own property until they are a Canadian sounds like a pretty strong immigration policy.   Agreed about the New Zealand analogy.   A legislated wall is still a wall.

Sounds fair to me.

Pay your taxes (many foreign speculator-owners are finding creative ways around them).

If you own property here, declare your income (answer how homeowners and students own the highest priced properties, have multiple luxury cars in the driveway and yet report low incomes and collect subsidies?).

I bet you won't though.

People who legitimately want to be here I have zero problem with...the more the merrier.  Welcome to all.

Those who want to use this like a drive through ATM?  Nope.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Same old story; nothing new. And you know what effective measures the government will do to help the common man?

Jack $&!#.

I can tell you that with absolutely full confidence right now..

How government deals with chronic disgustingly low BC wages ....

Well of course MLA's vote themselves a massive raise pretty much every time they get a chance....   Pigs at the trough...

pigs-at-the-trough.jpg