Sign in to follow this  
Brock Botanen

Gretzky + Orr

Rate this topic

Pettersson + Hughes

Ok, ok. I know, they're far from that, and I am not saying they are even near that level.... yet.

The comparisons are legit, I've watched footage of all 4 players and it's incredible to see tbh.

Could you imagine Gretzky with Orr back in the day? Are Canuck fans going to witness a glimpse of what it would have been like?

MAN NEXT SEASON SHOULD BE GOOD :)

• Hydration 2
  • Confused 5

Boyne Grorr v2.0

Speaking of Quinn and Wayne You know what really grinds my gears? The fact that no Canuck can wear #99 

Quinn was born in 1999... And so are many other future stars. They should be able to wear 99. 

It's a damn disgrace that a guy that didn't even play for us has his # retired league wide. Makes me sick. 

Had he agreed to sign with us that year, then I'd respect him. But he bailed on helping a Canadian city and went to the world's #1 dumpster in new York... Puke. 

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Maybe not Gretzky and Orr, but I'd take Datsyuk and Lidstrom.

Pete's got the magic and the smarts to make a two-way impact, while Hughes also skates well and can make an impact with his smarts.

We've got several beauts on our hands with these two and Bo and Brock, plus hopefully Demko pans out as a #1.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, apollo said:

Speaking of Quinn and Wayne You know what really grinds my gears? The fact that no Canuck can wear #99 

Quinn was born in 1999... And so are many other future stars. They should be able to wear 99. 

It's a damn disgrace that a guy that didn't even play for us has his # retired league wide. Makes me sick. 

Had he agreed to sign with us that year, then I'd respect him. But he bailed on helping a Canadian city and went to the world's #1 dumpster in new York... Puke. 

A disgrace would be someone whod even want to think about wearing 99. Its such an iconic number, you're pretty much asking for a bigger bullseye on your back on the ice. Even Ho-Sang embaressed himself wearing #66 to the point where Lamouriello told him to change his number. Players have a ton of respect for the Great One.

As for Gretzky not signing here, blame that on McCammon (Stan or Bob?) pretty much putting a gun to Wayne's head, imploring him to sign in the wee hours of the morning. If someone made demands of me right at that moment in the middle of the morning I'd be pretty pissed off too. Has nothing to do with helping a Canadian city, its about respect

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

Maybe stylistically, who knows, but neither of them can even be mentioned in the same breath as those two legends right now. Let's wait until they win their first Art Ross trophies first.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, apollo said:

Didn't he help Edmonton win 4 Stanley Cups?

He's the greatest player ever, most of his records will never be broken.  He deserved to have his number retired league wide...

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

Hughes is not Orr or Lidstrom, not even close comparison wise.  Pettersson does have a lot of the same qualities as Gretzky though, even Gretzky himself has admitted this.

I'd say it's more like Gretzky + Coffey.  Hughes and Coffey have some similar traits, the skating and vision and the ease in carrying the puck up the ice...

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hughes is not Orr or Lidstrom, not even close comparison wise.  Pettersson does have a lot of the same qualities as Gretzky though, even Gretzky himself has admitted this.

I'd say it's more like Gretzky + Coffey.  Hughes and Coffey have some similar traits, the skating and vision and the ease in carrying the puck up the ice...

That was my thought too. 

Such a let-down to downgrade our projections to a Coffey...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Orr was a respectable middleweight fighter in his day (back in the days when the Flyers bullied their way to two Cups) as well.  I agree with your comparison.

Most of all, we don’t have a Semenko riding shotgun on EPs line.  If we did, Matheson would be eating his meals via a straw.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Hold your horses pal, let Petterson score more than 80pts in a season and have no 12 game goal less streaks first. I get it aesthetically they look similar, but sorry to burst your bubble but Petterson and Hughes will never be Gretzky and Orr

I agree with the first part of your statement, but unless you have a crystal ball, you can’t know the bolded part for certain.

Edited by CaptKirk888
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Orr was a respectable middleweight fighter in his day (back in the days when the Flyers bullied their way to two Cups) as well.  I agree with your comparison.

Most of all, we don’t have a Semenko riding shotgun on EPs line.  If we did, Matheson would be eating his meals via a straw.

I hear Lucic is available...  ^_^

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Hughes is more of a defensively responsible Coffey. More Neidermayer, with perhaps a better ceiling. 

Bowen Byram has Orr like qualities. But he's still not Bobby Orr. 

Or was first on the rush, and the first guy back. He even blocked shots before it was cool. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Didn't he help Edmonton win 4 Stanley Cups?

He's the greatest player ever, most of his records will never be broken.  He deserved to have his number retired league wide...

10 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

A disgrace would be someone whod even want to think about wearing 99. Its such an iconic number, you're pretty much asking for a bigger bullseye on your back on the ice. Even Ho-Sang embaressed himself wearing #66 to the point where Lamouriello told him to change his number. Players have a ton of respect for the Great One.

As for Gretzky not signing here, blame that on McCammon (Stan or Bob?) pretty much putting a gun to Wayne's head, imploring him to sign in the wee hours of the morning. If someone made demands of me right at that moment in the middle of the morning I'd be pretty pissed off too. Has nothing to do with helping a Canadian city, its about respect

So what? What did he do for our franchise? 

Why don't we retire Michael Jordan's number while we're at it? Why don't we put a statue of tiger woods outside the arena too? Let's replace the iconic Roger statue... 

I could care less about his 4 cups in Edmonton... Last I checked, Edmonton isnt Vancouver. 

And it's silly to call a guy the greatest player ever when he played in an era were there was barely any depth on teams... Way less skilled players. 

Sure he was ahead of his time, but put him in today's NHL and there's no way he puts up those numbers. 

You look at some of the goals he scored or goals he got assists on... The goalies covered 80% less net back in the day. 

It makes me sick to my stomach that the prestigious Vancouver Canucks franchise isn't allowed to have anyone wear 99. He's done absolutely nothing for our franchise. 

He let his wife bet 100s of thousands illegally while he coached the coyotes... 0 morals. 

If 99 is retired league wide, then 22 and 33 should be as well because they are 10x the person off the ice than Wayne. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, apollo said:

So what? What did he do for our franchise? 

Why don't we retire Michael Jordan's number while we're at it? Why don't we put a statue of tiger woods outside the arena too? Let's replace the iconic Roger statue... 

I could care less about his 4 cups in Edmonton... Last I checked, Edmonton isnt Vancouver. 

And it's silly to call a guy the greatest player ever when he played in an era were there was barely any depth on teams... Way less skilled players. 

Sure he was ahead of his time, but put him in today's NHL and there's no way he puts up those numbers. 

You look at some of the goals he scored or goals he got assists on... The goalies covered 80% less net back in the day. 

It makes me sick to my stomach that the prestigious Vancouver Canucks franchise isn't allowed to have anyone wear 99. He's done absolutely nothing for our franchise. 

He let his wife bet 100s of thousands illegally while he coached the coyotes... 0 morals. 

If 99 is retired league wide, then 22 and 33 should be as well because they are 10x the person off the ice than Wayne. 

lol  you cant be serious  really  as much as I hated gretzky  and the oilers , he was and has been the greatest player in hockey  period , you  say because the game was different back then it doesn't count lol  then you might as well say howe  orr  rocket Richard  and lemuiex  were crap too,   , why do you care if someone cant wear 99  , you hate gretzky but you want a canuck to pay tribute to the great one   now that's dam silly 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1