The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Did Brian Burke unintentionally shed some light on the way the NHL screwed the Canucks in the 2011 Stanley Cup Final?

Rate this topic

7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Like some exGM of the Canucks was rumored to have screwed us with getting the Luongo rule implemented....

I think we're going to escape either via him showing up and not passing a physical eventually be it with us or Florida. That or Canucks fully contest it via judicial means. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

I think we're going to escape either via him showing up and not passing a physical eventually be it with us or Florida. That or Canucks fully contest it via judicial means. 

We can only hope I guess at this point.  You can be sure that if it were some OTHER team the league would let them off the hook.

Worst departments of all departments. It shouldn't be weighted at all. So in the finals where 1 playoff game is = 6  regular season game suspension, why not commit a "5 game regular season suspension worthy play". Which will result in no suspension in the playoffs right?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Fateless said:

A brutal call for sure. Although I still don't blame our defeat on the suspension. More the terrible officiating in general.

Much like the Sharks playoff series.  A total travesty the officiating with Kelly Sutherland doing his best Monica Lewinsky impression with the Sharks.  Better team (on paper) won the series but that doesn’t mean the refs weren’t a disgrace.  Funny how the Sharks continue get fellated by the zebras to this day.

• Cheers 1

Actually there was someone on Sportsnet 650 (was it Burkie?  can't remember now) recently that talked about the formula.  

I remember hearing about the multiplier in the last month, just can't remember who it was. 

& furthermore, F*** BB & his lame, "to the point". Got tired of listening to this pompous a**hole 27 yrs back on Dan russell's lamebrain talk/call in-drudgery.

Even David Amber is starting to sound like feeble lackey, MacLean, as they kowtow to two obnoxious, egotistical megalomaniacs. That guy had potential as a host..sure Earning his daily bread with these weak F***ing segments!

Time-travel back to 1990..sit down with a pencil & paper, drafting up a plan on how to DESTROY what was a great league, & fine entertainment, for Canada from coast to coast.

You could never out-do what they've actually done to the NHL I used to love. Can't believe I've hung in so long(waiting for change)..but so glad to have left the corporate manipulation/corruption/advertising 24/7 of 21st C North America. Bullying, predictable, persistent & boring. Lowest common denominator, served up by ol' boys' club idiots like Burke!

• Like 2

Used to like the Georgia Strait, back in the street mag days. Pretty sad that it takes a little known, local publication like this to ask hard questions towards the #riggeddeckleague.

Oh & in 2019 as well!

Maybe we can start to expect articles asking hard questions about things like Fukushima, or Chernobyl, as it seems even ****ing novels are more contemporary/up-to-date at this pace!

:^) lovely

5 hours ago, xereau said:

Thanks for this trip down memory lane.

One thing people have to keep in mind was an incident at the end of the first period in game 1 back in Vancouver. When Burrows was involved in an incident with Bergeron. Burrows wound up biting Bergeron's finger. While the replay of this incident is inconclusive. The tape does not show Burrows' jaw moving forward to meet Bergeron's finger. It shows Bergeron face washing Burrows and his finger entering Burrows' mouth. Burr then bit him. By the rule book, biting is a suspendable offence. The refs gave Bergeron 2 mins for roughing, and gave Burrows a double minor for roughing. The Bruins were incensed Burrows was not suspended. Even more so when Burrows scored the OT winner in game 2. The NHL drew heavy criticism for not suspending Burrows. Noted goofball Mike Milbury was especially loud in his criticism.

That certainly set the table for the NHL to even things up. And even things up they certainly did.

Now on to the game in this video. I was at this game with a buddy of mine. This game and this hit changed the series in an instant. First things first. Canucks Nation travels extremely well. Canucks fans by my estimation were about 10% of the building and boy were we in a jovial mood ahead of the game. And why wouldn't we be up 2-0? I remember standing by some random Canuck fan in the warm up when the DJ played a Rush song. I say to him "haha they're even playing Rush for us" He says back to me "might as well play The Hip, really make us feel at home".

Bruins fans were downtrodden. Then in pre-game they crank up "Cochise" by Audioslave and the mood changes. It was like feeding Bruins fans raw meat, they went wild and were out for blood. Then in the beginning of the second, Aaron Rome just crushes Horton and instantly Canucks fans in the building were having abuse hurled at them. I didn't witness it first hand but I heard several accounts by Canucks fans that they got peed on while using the urinals (something Habs fans are use to in TD Gardens). It was a nasty atmosphere.

Then the Canucks just got run the F over, and the final was 8-1. Didn't realize it at the time but the series had shifted. The Bruins were now fully in control. We would only score another 3 goals in the remaining 4 games. :(

My buddy and I were sitting in the lower bowl just to the side of the Canucks bench. If I pause the video at just the right second When Rome flattens Horton I can see the two of us. LOL

Edit - It should be noted for the record that the Bruins' whining about Burrows not being suspended was pretty hypocritical after what Nathan Horton got away with in Game 6 of their Eastern Conference Final against Tampa. During game 6 (which Tampa won 5-4) Horton sprayed a Tampa fan with his water bottle.

The NHL earlier that year instituted a zero tolerance policy for players interacting with fans after Vancouver's Rick Rypien was suspended 6 games for grabbing a fan in Minnesota. However, Horton would receive no suspension. Why is this important? Because Horton would score the only goal in a game 7, 1-0 victory securing Boston's spot in the final.

Mind you the NHL did have to do something to save face after that screw up...............

BOSTON — It probably won't come as much solace to Tampa fans, but Bruins forward Nathan Horton didn't get away completely free for his incident after Boston's Game 6 loss at the St. Pete Times Forum. Horton got involved with a fan as the Bruins left the ice after the 5-4 defeat on Wednesday, squirting water and then tossing a water bottle into the crowd. Horton was not suspended for the incident and scored the only goal in the Bruins' 1-0 win in Game 7 on Friday to advance to the Stanley Cup Final, but general manager Peter Chiarelli revealed Saturday that Horton has been fined. Chiarelli did not state the amount of the fine, but the maximum fine allowed under the collective bargaining agreement is $2,500.      <------- Hahahahahaha

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2