The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Did Brian Burke unintentionally shed some light on the way the NHL screwed the Canucks in the 2011 Stanley Cup Final?

Rate this topic

The real tragedy is the loss of Luc Bourdon (RIP) coupled with Manny's eye injury was the difference. 

Manny was having a fantastic season as a 3rd line centre. Bourdon would have been entering 4th year pro. Probably eliminating the need to pick up Ballard at the entry draft. Think, with the 25th overall pick we could have had two Brocks from UND. Nelson and Boeser.

We'd have Brock and Brock. :)

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The real tragedy is the loss of Luc Bourdon (RIP) coupled with Manny's eye injury was the difference. 

Manny was having a fantastic season as a 3rd line centre. Bourdon would have been entering 4th year pro. Probably eliminating the need to pick up Ballard at the entry draft. Think, with the 25th overall pick we could have had two Brocks from UND. Nelson and Boeser.

We'd have Brock and Brock. :)

If things changed in the past, things in the future may not be the same. If we had Brock Nelson (and Bourdon), we may not be in the position to nab Boeser as well.

7 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

& furthermore, F*** BB & his lame, "to the point". Got tired of listening to this pompous a**hole 27 yrs back on Dan russell's lamebrain talk/call in-drudgery.

Even David Amber is starting to sound like feeble lackey, MacLean, as they kowtow to two obnoxious, egotistical megalomaniacs. That guy had potential as a host..sure Earning his daily bread with these weak F***ing segments!

Time-travel back to 1990..sit down with a pencil & paper, drafting up a plan on how to DESTROY what was a great league, & fine entertainment, for Canada from coast to coast.

You could never out-do what they've actually done to the NHL I used to love. Can't believe I've hung in so long(waiting for change)..but so glad to have left the corporate manipulation/corruption/advertising 24/7 of 21st C North America. Bullying, predictable, persistent & boring. Lowest common denominator, served up by ol' boys' club idiots like Burke!

Reality is that the NHL has been trending towards "Sports Entertainment" and away from organic competition for 20 years.

Everything is "managed",  the important games, the draft lotto, everything.

There are still sweet moments of organic hockey purity but they are fewer and further between. The players themselves of course are still the best in the world but the Leage itself is becoming more WWE every year.

That's why it is so important to fans of the game that NHL payers go to the Olympics. Best on Best, pure competition, (somewhat) free from Darth Bettman's meddling hands.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nux4lyfe said:

OK, Let's be real here..Aaron Rome is not a game changer..We had superstar Keith Ballard waiting in the wings..

Game changer or not, the suspension was unjust. Perhaps if it was a 1 or 2 gamer, Rome could've returned and maybe Boston would lose focus on trying to go after him or something that could've been to our advantage. Rome was one of our more physical guys as well in a physical series. We may still not have won the Cup with Rome, but that doesn't justify the suspension ruling.

Aside from all the in game shenanigans, how could they make the decision based on the hit being almost a second late and look at the injury to determine the suspension and not look at Raymond getting his back broken completely away from the play? Not one game and not even a penalty on the play.

To further add to this, if the league was setting an example for head shots, the following season, Duncan Keith threw a blatant flying elbow to Daniel Sedin (Daniel was never really the same player after that) and it drew a 5 game suspension. Compare that to the supposed 40 gamer that Rome got where it took replays and counting every millisecond to determine it was late in a Stanley Cup final.

Edited by theo5789
  • Upvote 2

Losing Rome = something the Canucks could work around albeit, the long suspension was a bit defeating

The cheap shot on Raymond = This should have been a suspension and it cost the team some secondary scoring and changed Raymond's career forever.

The injury to Hamhuis =unfortunate and really hurt the team but was nobody's fault

The league picks the winners. Look no further than this years playoffs, sjs doesn’t event deserve to be playing and Boston has had favourable officiate in every game. 

We weren’t suppose to have gotten by CHI the refs/league had it in for us in that series as they had done every year. Gillis called them out and put a giant spot light on the two rule books one for Vancouver that allowed nothing and one for chi that allowed everything. 

pro sports are rigged that’s why they call it sports entrainment. As soon as terms like game management and even up are used and accepted Its fixed. 

The best team is being penalized for being better or winning........ so in order to make the illusion of parody they create “game management”  so the game is controlled by some one other than the play and the players. 

So it’s been fixed.

Gary bettamn has been a terrible thing for hockey and even worst for Canadians. 

No canadian has won with him in charge. His first 1/2 season when he took the job the Canadians won, 

11 hours ago, riffraff said:

Meh.

if losing Rome for a series ends your chances you weren’t  meant to win anyway.

I mean, it was a close series and any edge one way or the other is significant. Did he deserve 2-3 games? Yes. But the entire rest of the series is BS. Our blueline was beat up enough without tossing another player on a bogus suspension for that long.

Oh well, water under the bridge as far as I am concerned.

The Rome hit would have energized Boston regardless of suspension, but Rome was a nobody. 

The injury to Hamhuis showcased our lack of defensive depth. Our forwards were playing on fumes. That's what lost us the series. We ran out of gas. It happens to someone every year. We win that series with a healthy Hamhuis and Kesler regardless of Aaron Rome.

The reffing of that playoffs was bull$&!# and we got screwed by the league, but it's not what cost us the series.

2 hours ago, mephnick said:

The Rome hit would have energized Boston regardless of suspension, but Rome was a nobody. 

The injury to Hamhuis showcased our lack of defensive depth. Our forwards were playing on fumes. That's what lost us the series. We ran out of gas. It happens to someone every year. We win that series with a healthy Hamhuis and Kesler regardless of Aaron Rome.

The reffing of that playoffs was bull$&!# and we got screwed by the league, but it's not what cost us the series.

Still doesn't justify the length of the suspension. Also, even if it energized the Bruins, had Rome been suspended 1 or 2 games as seemed to be the norm (or equivalent to 10-20 regular season games according to this thread), the Bruins may have used this energy to target him and be thrown off their game at least for a game or a period that could've cost them that one extra loss needed. Rome could've thrown another big hit to set them off. Whatever the case, Rome would've made some impact whether getting into the opposition's head and even as you mention as defensive depth as he was one of our healthier guys at the time.

Many things could be attributed to what cost us the series, but unbiased officiating (in game and afterwards) could've changed the whole tide.

• Upvote 1

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:49 AM, GarthButcher5 said:

Losing Rome = something the Canucks could work around albeit, the long suspension was a bit defeating

The cheap shot on Raymond = This should have been a suspension and it cost the team some secondary scoring and changed Raymond's career forever.

The injury to Hamhuis =unfortunate and really hurt the team but was nobody's fault

Well, it was Hamhuis' fault for trying to bench press that big fatty.

• Haha 2

I really hate to open this old wound. But I always wondered what the punishment would of been if Rome wore a Bruins jersey and Horton wore a Canucks. Not sure I will ever totally get over that series. It's still a punch in the gut reading through this thread and I dont have the stomach to even click on the videos. 

On 5/12/2019 at 1:21 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Rome’s was worth 4 games and that got nothing, face it the Canucks got screwed, the NHL wanted Boston to win. I remember watching the Bruins - Lightning game 7 and telling my buddy “ I want the lightning to win, no way the nhl let’s Boston lose the finals, at least with the lightning it will be fair” I wish I had be wrong 

Edited by KelownaCanucksFan
Spelling