Sign in to follow this  
xereau

[Article] Did Brian Burke unintentionally shed some light on the way the NHL screwed the Canucks in the 2011 Stanley Cup Final?

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Rome’s was worth 4 games and that got nothing, face it the Canucks got screwed, the NHL wanted Boston to win. I remember watching the Bruins - Lightning game 7 and telling my buddy “ I want the lightning to win, no way the nhl let’s Boston lose the finals, at least with the lightning it will be fair” I wish I had be wrong 

I'm not going to deny there definitely seemed to be a lot of bias towards Boston over the Canucks from the NHL back then, and tbh I felt the same about 94 although I was a young kid at the time so going off what my parents and their friends mostly said at that time, but that we got screwed and they're always having to win against 2 teams instead of 1, the Refs and the actual team they're facing. 

Now yes people can argue things like, well if so and so scored there or if they scored when they had the chance there instead, or if that goalie was playing instead, or if the NHL didn't change their rules for playoffs, so on and so on. Now don't get me wrong those are legit arguments and there are others, but even if you went back and did all those what ifs, I still feel it wouldn't of changed the outcome anyways, it always was and was going to be 2 against 1, not in our favor.

• Hydration 1

Aaron Rome was not a big loss. Losing Hamhuis to injury killed us. And he injured himself hip checking lucic. 

Officiating was brutal but we lost. Get over it.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

People really slam Canuck fans for whining and "not getting over" things but here's the deal.  Why should anyone accept unfair treatment that borders on corruption..or, at the very least, inept/inferior/incompetent officiating?

I was driving in to work the other day and heard an interesting tidbit...apparently from Paul Stewart (former official), who was questioning Boston's ability to get away with stuff they shouldn't....in particular, Marchand.

His words?   "Does he have some sort of Harry Potter cloak of invisibility in this league?".

Well said.

So it's not just Canuck fans feeling this way, although we've seen some of the worst of the worst officiating I've ever seen.  This was one of their own.  So you may not believe this fanbase, but this is a guy who should know the good, the bad and the ugly in officiating.  Believe him.

While I don't dwell there, it's perfectly ok to review the history and not lose sight of the fact that this is definitely an ongoing work in progress and not a finished product.   Being critical of something and not just letting it slide often results in changes and improvements.

• Hydration 3

52 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I'm not going to deny there definitely seemed to be a lot of bias towards Boston over the Canucks from the NHL back then, and tbh I felt the same about 94 although I was a young kid at the time so going off what my parents and their friends mostly said at that time, but that we got screwed and they're always having to win against 2 teams instead of 1, the Refs and the actual team they're facing. 

Now yes people can argue things like, well if so and so scored there or if they scored when they had the chance there instead, or if that goalie was playing instead, or if the NHL didn't change their rules for playoffs, so on and so on. Now don't get me wrong those are legit arguments and there are others, but even if you went back and did all those what ifs, I still feel it wouldn't of changed the outcome anyways, it always was and was going to be 2 against 1, not in our favor.

Mo-men-tum

It's hard to say what would/wouldn't have happened because when momentum shifts, things can quickly unravel or, the opposite, a team go on a tear.

If a team's shellshocked and the emotion is through the roof, it's a huge distraction.  It's hard to say things still would have had the same result if things had played out differently.  In a sport of contact and speed, add to the mix frustration or confusion and then expect a team to perform well despite it all.

For me, it's kind of like saying that car would have crashed even if that wasp hadn't flown in through the window.

• Hydration 1

17 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

People really slam Canuck fans for whining and "not getting over" things but here's the deal.  Why should anyone accept unfair treatment that borders on corruption..or, at the very least, inept/inferior/incompetent officiating?

I was driving in to work the other day and heard an interesting tidbit...apparently from Paul Stewart (former official), who was questioning Boston's ability to get away with stuff they shouldn't....in particular, Marchand.

His words?   "Does he have some sort of Harry Potter cloak of invisibility in this league?".

Well said.

So it's not just Canuck fans feeling this way, although we got some of the worst of the worst officiating I've seen.  This was one of their own.  So you may not believe this fanbase, but this is a guy who should know the good, bad and the ugly in officiating.  Believe him.

It's actually starting to get interesting hearing comments from ex referees regarding some matters in the NHL now with referees, especially when they're supposed to be stricter now on calls then back in the day, yet those refs from back in the day are now kind of questioning the refs and their decisions now a days. 

One example was Kerry Fraser on twitter, wasn't aware of how vocal this guy really was, but anyways the incident with Marchand and the cheap shot to the back of the head, basically Fraser said how do the refs not keep an eye on a guy like that on the ice, you should be aware of where he is or have an eye on him all the time, so basically Fraser is calling the refs out for not doing their job in his eyes.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

It's actually starting to get interesting hearing comments from ex referees regarding some matters in the NHL now with referees, especially when they're supposed to be stricter now on calls then back in the day, yet those refs from back in the day are now kind of questioning the refs and their decisions now a days. 

One example was Kerry Fraser on twitter, wasn't aware of how vocal this guy really was, but anyways the incident with Marchand and the cheap shot to the back of the head, basically Fraser said how do the refs not keep an eye on a guy like that on the ice, you should be aware of where he is or have an eye on him all the time, so basically Fraser is calling the refs out for not doing their job in his eyes.

I truly believe it's just glaring at this point...that it might have been easy to pass of a few missed calls here and there.  But when you have a repeat offender basically mocking the entire world, let alone the league, people are screaming for action.

I believe some who are speaking out are probably shuddering at some of what they're seeing - it's so obvious and it really discredits the game - one that they probably hate to see deteriorating and becoming another gong show.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Mo-men-tum

It's hard to say what would/wouldn't have happened because when momentum shifts, things can quickly unravel or, the opposite, a team go on a tear.

If a team's shellshocked and the emotion is through the roof, it's a huge distraction.  It's hard to say things still would have had the same result if things had played out differently.  In a sport of contact and speed, add to the mix frustration or confusion and then expect a team to perform well despite it all.

For me, it's kind of like saying that car would have crashed even if that wasp hadn't flown in through the window.

Yup there's another thing exactly, score a goal here or there and now bam momentum, so many what ifs, but deeply back in my mind I strongly feel the refs would of found a way to kill that momentum anyway they could, hence feeling the outcome would of never changed because it was and always was going to be 2 against 1, always will feel that way.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup
  • Upvote 1

On 5/11/2019 at 10:06 PM, naslund.is.king said:

Without reading or listening...We did not get screwed..We should have won but **** the bed.

I'm glad im over 2011..

ya. we were just plain out of gas in the seventh. that is all

• Upvote 1

Talk about reopening old wounds... Damn it still hurts...

Not so much not winning, but being fracked over so badly...

I think, what hurts the most was/is actually Ratboy, Boychuck etc... never ever paid the price afterwards.... 

Not in the series, not the year after, not like ever....

Forgive and forget... my arse....

And every time I see the fat lying POS Julien, I can stop thinkjing of the worst whining I've ever heard from anyone in sport... And the fact the press just ran with it, instead of focusing on what was actually true, and what was blatant cheating and lying... Aaarghhh... back to the psychiatrist couch again....

Posted (edited)

BOS wanted it more. They did what they had to do. Our leaders (the Sedins) tried to play a polite game in the SCF. Big mistake. I also think Luongo lost his mental composure, allowed things to get to him. Pumping Thomas' tires? Lu Lu Lu.

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

On 5/15/2019 at 1:30 PM, NUCKER67 said:

BOS wanted it more. They did what they had to do. Our leaders (the Sedins) tried to play a polite game in the SCF. Big mistake. I also think Luongo lost his mental composure, allowed things to get to him. Pumping Thomas' tires? Lu Lu Lu.

No the league wanted it more. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/12/2019 at 7:33 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

The real tragedy is the loss of Luc Bourdon (RIP) coupled with Manny's eye injury was the difference. 

Manny was having a fantastic season as a 3rd line centre. Bourdon would have been entering 4th year pro. Probably eliminating the need to pick up Ballard at the entry draft. Think, with the 25th overall pick we could have had two Brocks from UND. Nelson and Boeser.

We'd have Brock and Brock. :)

With the 25th overall pick in the 2010 draft the Canucks select Jared Knight. 

We all know Gillis couldn't draft worth s***. LOL

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Without reading or listening...We did not get screwed..We should have won but **** the bed.

I'm glad im over 2011..

Thank you. Finally. We did not get screwed.

Any man that allows another man to punch them multiple times screws themselves.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Without reading or listening...

which is where you post ends for me....without reading or listening ;)

• Haha 1

It doesn’t hurt that the Boston Bruins owner sat as the chair for the board of governors and will always have a strong say into the NHL. 

Canucks got screwed over in 2011 and during the other finals during 94 when Messier broke Linden’s ribs at the end of game 6. No suspension on him as they wanted Rangers to win the cup (Messier had the game winning goal in game 7 by the way).

There is a lot of dirty crap that goes on in the NHL. Just brutal.

This thread is still going eh?   

The canucks lost.   Get over it. 

We played scared and weak.  

The league didn’t cause us the cup, and neither did the refs.  

Daniel letting everyone know he was cool with being push around caused us the cup. 

Lou crying to the media then blowing it hard caused us the cup.  

Thinking that we could ask nicely for the cup, while Boston came to take it caused us the cup.  

Canucks blew it.  

Get over it.  

• Upvote 1

On 5/15/2019 at 12:17 PM, spook007 said:

Talk about reopening old wounds... Damn it still hurts...

Not so much not winning, but being fracked over so badly...

I think, what hurts the most was/is actually Ratboy, Boychuck etc... never ever paid the price afterwards.... 

Not in the series, not the year after, not like ever....

Forgive and forget... my arse....

And every time I see the fat lying POS Julien, I can stop thinkjing of the worst whining I've ever heard from anyone in sport... And the fact the press just ran with it, instead of focusing on what was actually true, and what was blatant cheating and lying... Aaarghhh... back to the psychiatrist couch again....

Even Cookie got KO'd by Kane eventually.  Worst thing Ratboy got was a free circumcision from Prust but Prust lacked to micro sized scalpel to do the job properly.

• Hydration 1

It isn't like losing Rome lost us the series.  Maybe he was overpunished but if you are relying on Rome to win you a cup you have far deeper issues.

It was a combination between the Bruins waking up after that hit, the cheapness in their play (to be fair, our team wasnt exactly sportsmanlike with all the diving either), our depleted roster, the otherworldly play of Thomas and the officials who were clearly one sided.

Yes I was pissed about it all and still can't stop disliking the Bruins, but we really are in a new era and it is time to look forward.

On 5/28/2019 at 9:57 PM, kloubek said:

It isn't like losing Rome lost us the series.  Maybe he was overpunished but if you are relying on Rome to win you a cup you have far deeper issues.

It was a combination between the Bruins waking up after that hit, the cheapness in their play (to be fair, our team wasnt exactly sportsmanlike with all the diving either), our depleted roster, the otherworldly play of Thomas and the officials who were clearly one sided.

Yes I was pissed about it all and still can't stop disliking the Bruins, but we really are in a new era and it is time to look forward.

Wish it was a new era... but all I see is the same old crap from the league.