The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article]- Hometown biased at its finest

Rate this topic

RetroCanuck

3 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

Lucic full salary and 2019 #8 pick to Ottawa for a bag of pucks is the only trade that would be a fair deal for both sides.

as far as Canucks go we are sadly stuck with Loui E til his contract is up.

or Canuck give up something stupid to move him and his contract.

Why would Lucic report to Ottawa?  Not to mention the fact that Ottawa has a ton of youth and bringing in someone with serious character issues could backfire on them.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

But! McDavid and Draisaitl are both burning a hole in the Edmonton fans pockets, and they will have to see some results soon. Soon being as soon as 2 years from now......to me that smells of UFA's, which also means they need cap space...….

People also said Pettersson would bear a grudge when we traded ''his buddy'' Dahlen. And I have seen people say McDavid will demand a trade because he's pissed off?

McDavid just signed a 100 million $ contract. And he's their team captain.  This angst is contrived. He's not going anywhere, demanding any trades.

One reason Canadian teams don't do well, have not won a cup in 25 years, just my opinion, is so much noise does make its way into team decisions. I don't see why we should buy into it here on CDC. I said it to AGent, its garbage.

The $21 mill they pay Draisaitl and McDavid, maybe its a bit high?  But its two top 5 scorers in the NHL. Its not horrible either. And they're 22 and 23 years old, Nurse their next best player 24.  So as much as there is panic in the stands. There is plenty of time to build around them.  And giving away Bouchard, and Looch for that matter, does not suddenly make them better. They would then have to go back to the very issue that got them in trouble, the UFA money pit, to have any hope of being better as a result.  Pardon my French, it ain't going to frickin happen. Bet on them making mostly secondary moves, adding depth, building from youth.

If Edmonton was to make a money saving move, noting Holland traded Nyqvist and Tatar very successfully for Detroit as 25 year olds? I would bet on him moving RNH for solid young assets and picks sometime this year or next. Its a move we have already seen him make shrewdly. Not panicking, and giving away Bouchard so someone will eat Looch's contract. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

People also said Pettersson would bear a grudge when we traded ''his buddy'' Dahlen. And I have seen people say McDavid will demand a trade because he's pissed off?

McDavid just signed a 100 million $ contract. And he's their team captain.  This angst is contrived. He's not going anywhere, demanding any trades.

If Edmonton doesn't start assembling actual NHLers around McDavid, he'd be stupid NOT to demand a trade.  He'd get the same salary in a city that isn't one of the biggest cesspools in North America, with an actual chance to win.  Holland also made a LOT of really, really bad UFA signings in Detroit.

Getting rid of Lucic is an absolute necessity there, not only for his contract, but for his character issues.  Draisitl didn't have a history of spearing guys in the balls before they signed this gutless piece of trash.  If including an overrated defensive liability who is slow, soft, and stupid is what they need to to get it done, that's a small price to pay to get rid of a cancer in the room who wastes money,an expansion protection slot, and oxygen.

52 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Who else's opinion would it be? :blink:

Didn't Bickel only have one year left at a $4m hit?

Lucic has 4 more years at $6m. Plus an NMC that forces them to lose a better player than they need to. If you don't see why there's a value difference there...

And no, they don't have cap space. After they re-sign guys, they have zero cap to add. And they desperately need to add a better team around McDavid and Drai and are under a tremendous amount of pressure to do so. With zero leverage.

You have a tremendous misread of their situation IMO.

Do I think Holland is going to pay up? Not particularly but he's got very few options and needs to do something to build a team around his stars. He is at the proverbial rock and hard place. If the Canucks are the team to do him the favour of taking on that anchor, it best come with some very large sweetener or they can just suffer keeping him IMO. Or he can find himself another sucker.

Show me where someone gave away a top 10 pick to move a contract?

They have enough leverage. They can afford to pay him. They will do that rather than surrender top young talent, which would be completely counter intuitive. Will have no problem paying to fill their roster considering their free agents. I already showed you the figures. They also have a top performing AHL squad. something admittedly they did not have in the past. Guys they can call up, deserve promotion to the NHL. And lots of young talent from which to more smartly mould their core.

He does not need another sucker. That guy who wrote that article that is. He found you, wound you up & your spinning like nobodies business. 

Holland ran an original 6 team for nearly 20 years.  Made some mistakes sure, but was essentially the most stable franchise in the NHL for most of his tenure.  When his own cap moves left Detroit dry? And his team was not firing. I mentioned this elsewhere? He did not give someone, say Anthony Mantha, or Filip Zadina, to take on some anchor contracts? He traded 25 year olds Nyqvist and Tatar. For huge returns. Returns geniuses on CDC say Benning should have done ''with our rebuilding team!'' His leverage is that he has plenty of better moves by which he can improve their team. 

Bet on him moving RNH for a large haul which replenishes the team, long before he gives anyone the 8th overall pick to take on Lucic. Or similar.

Even if that take 2 or 5 years to return them to championship form. Not knee jerk reactions.

53 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Why would Lucic report to Ottawa?  Not to mention the fact that Ottawa has a ton of youth and bringing in someone with serious character issues could backfire on them.

The reason I said Ottawa was because I was listening to team 1040 the other week and they where talking Ottawa could maybe take Loui E.  I think it’s a pipe dream. 

I thought Edmonton and Ottawa deal would be more possible. The 1st rd #8 pick would be very attractive to compensate for a ugly Lucic.

4 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

The reason I said Ottawa was because I was listening to team 1040 the other week and they where talking Ottawa could maybe take Loui E.  I think it’s a pipe dream. 

I thought Edmonton and Ottawa deal would be more possible. The 1st rd #8 pick would be very attractive to compensate for a ugly Lucic.

Except for the facts that:

• No player would waive a NMC to go to Ottawa until they get a real owner.
  • Melnyk is too cheap to even pay for his current players, let along take on other teams' garbage.

Pretty sure Edmonton's going to be stuck with him and I love it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Who came up with this nonsense? Would the Canucks give away their #10 pick to get rid of Loui? 

Neither will the Oilers to rid them selves of Lucic. 

13 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Who came up with this nonsense? Would the Canucks give away their #10 pick to get rid of Loui? 

Neither will the Oilers to rid them selves of Lucic. 

Heck no I wouldn’t  want Canucks trading away the #10 pick.

It was team 1040 morning crew talking possible Loui E move destinations. I forget exactly what they said Canucks would give up, it was something like eating some of the salary plus a prospect. Which I thought is stupid as I’m a Canuck fan not willing to give up anything.

but Edmonton I couldn’t care less about and they really really need cap room.

Edited by HockeyHarry

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Except, you know, Lucic doesn't have serious character issues. Those are completely made up as he lives rent free in your head since 2011...

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Except, you know, Lucic doesn't have serious character issues. Those are completely made up as he lives rent free in your head since 2011...

Yep, uttering death threats in the handshake line, having absolutely no ability to take a clean hit like a man and avoid an episode of roid ragem and spearing numerous guys in the balls is perfectly acceptable behaviour to have as a model for young players to emulate.  As far as I'm concerned, acting like a worthless piece of **** for one's entire life definitely qualifies as character issues; we will have to agree to disagree on this.  Lucic doensn't belong in any respectable organization.

15 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yep, uttering death threats in the handshake line, having absolutely no ability to take a clean hit like a man and avoid an episode of roid ragem and spearing numerous guys in the balls is perfectly acceptable behaviour to have as a model for young players to emulate.  As far as I'm concerned, acting like a worthless piece of **** for one's entire life definitely qualifies as character issues; we will have to agree to disagree on this.  Lucic doensn't belong in any respectable organization.

Roid Rage isn't a thing, also the NHL does a lot of drug testing. Watch the slander wadr. 

I guess we blew it having gutless players like Burrows, Kesler, Torres, Lapierre, and Cooke all imo are more gutless than Lucic. Again you're hatred for Lucic is laughable and your character judgement of him is laughable at best. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Western Red said:

Hopefully you win the day for that slice of brilliance.

I do believe I won the particular day I posted it on. Its been the gift that keeps on giving ever since.

On 5/12/2019 at 9:15 AM, RetroCanuck said:

Article out of the Province Edmonton by David Staples. Trying to argue that Lucic is not only easily tradeable and not cost much to move, but if anything might get you something. The part below relates directly to the Canucks. 

"There are a few less toxic scenarios, and I expect one of them to play out. The deal could for another under-performing player like a Loui Eriksson in Vancouver, who has an equally expensive contract, but a year shorter in term. In this case, with Vancouver badly needing toughness, they might well be expected to sweeten the deal.

Or it could be the Oilers eating 20 to 50 per cent Lucic’s contract, but taking back a slightly less failed and lower paid player, like Vancouver’s Brandon Sutter, 30, who has two years at $4.5 million per left on his deal and was -12 in 26 games last year."

Personally I view Eriksson as a more useful player. Thats not to say I wouldn't waive him for a younger guy that deserves a spot such as Motte or MacEwen, but I definitely wouldn't give up value for Lucic.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/prediction-edmonton-oilers-will-move-milan-lucic-without-swallowing-major-poison-pill/wcm/6f4c93b1-76ff-4cc1-9d93-0b3d1c45de9d?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0feF3cYN5QUmJzkreAXkwSdqp_QVAoXO_kpZ5kYSMbU_ytcbPSpgX22qw#Echobox=1557453373

On top of that, Lucic has a NMC so I believe the Canucks would have to protect him in the expansion draft. NTC kicks in for Loui this summer so again believe he can be exposed.

16 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

One reason Canadian teams don't do well, have not won a cup in 25 years, just my opinion, is so much noise does make its way into team decisions. I don't see why we should buy into it here on CDC. I said it to AGent, its garbage.

The $21 mill they pay Draisaitl and McDavid, maybe its a bit high?  But its two top 5 scorers in the NHL. Its not horrible either. And they're 22 and 23 years old, Nurse their next best player 24.  So as much as there is panic in the stands. There is plenty of time to build around them.  And giving away Bouchard, and Looch for that matter, does not suddenly make them better. They would then have to go back to the very issue that got them in trouble, the UFA money pit, to have any hope of being better as a result.  Pardon my French, it ain't going to frickin happen. Bet on them making mostly secondary moves, adding depth, building from youth.

If Edmonton was to make a money saving move, noting Holland traded Nyqvist and Tatar very successfully for Detroit as 25 year olds? I would bet on him moving RNH for solid young assets and picks sometime this year or next. Its a move we have already seen him make shrewdly. Not panicking, and giving away Bouchard so someone will eat Looch's contract. 

BTW I stated EDM should not and would not give away Bouchard. They're going to need him ( as much as I personally think he somewhat overrated... but that's another thread).

But that that's the +/- value they need to give up if they're going to move Lucic (without taking a similarly bad contract back - which doesn't give them the cap space they also desperately need).

And if they don't pay up, they're simply saddled with his anchor holding them back and toiling in mediocrity while their super star (and fan base) grow impatient.

Like I said elsewhere, there's no 'win' here for them. The best they can hope for is to limit the damage. I'm sure Holland will do a competent job of minimising the harm.

And as for your comments to me re: the article, I don't think you read the article given its laughable premise we'd need to ADD to Eriksson in a swap :lol:

On 5/20/2019 at 4:08 PM, Canuck Surfer said:

I agree here, first off McDavid and Draisitl are not the issue in Edmonchuck, they have no goaltender, and not really one D man I would trade for outside of prospect Bouchard. They have a half full cupboard and are trying to sell it like its win now time. They need a lot more than what they currently have on the roster to make the playoffs and compete in them. As i see it we are a few years behind them in the rebuild zone but a few players ahead of them even though they have Mc God. Thank you JB

As for Petterson being pissed if they traded his buddy i am sure he wants to win like every other player. He will feel fine about it if we start to challenge for a cup.

The Free agent pool is better this year but the Oilers have very little room to add unless they can find a cap friendly team to help them out. I am hoping it wont be us for a few reasons, One we don't want to help out a division rival. let them suffer with their bad contract.  Two taking on another horrible contract lengthens our window for relief. Really unless they are dangling one of their big Two its a firm no interest from me.

3 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

and not really one D man I would trade for outside of prospect Bouchard.

Nurse and Larsson are very good D, having paid too much for Larsson notwithstanding. I'd have Nurse on my team, a hammer like Gudbrandson, but can actually play, anytime.

Their key problem has been generating any up tempo attack from their D, a transition game. ie they lack a PMD. This is a big issue, as they have underserviced speedy forwards, currently McDavid, for years. They paid big bucks to Andrej Sekera to play that role, but he's missed a total of 100 plus games the last two years. And done nothing to replace him, when injured, because they were stuck against the cap. They also have Klefbom who is not dissimilar to Edler. A great two way D, albeit falling short of that PMD.  But pretty good, their next best puck mover and best overall D. He's also missed roughly 20 games each the last two years. Functionally, at the critical times when they needed him most.

Two years, three seasons ago, they had a great play off run. When Sekera and Klefbom were healthy, and combined for nearly 75 points. Without them, tits up!

That was also before Nurse broke out?  They're adding Bouchard this fall. And expecting Sekera & Klefbom back.

Edmonton could easily breakout! A recovery, quickly, no one on CDC is expecting. They could also add Broberg, or Soderstrom, to be a key long term PMD this draft to ultimately replace Sekera. This lineup below could happen as early as October, Soderstrom is a very advanced, near NHL ready prospect who can really move the puck;

Klefbom / Bouchard

Nurse / Larsson

Sekera / Soderstrom

Benning / Russel would also be great 7th and 8th D pair. 

We do not have any of the big young horses Edmonton already have in place. in Klefbom, Larsson & Nurse. We have Hughes? A guy Edmonton would dearly love! Potentially Juolevi.

Edmonton's young D is actually far more advanced than ours.  

Edited by Canuck Surfer