The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article]- Hometown biased at its finest

Rate this topic

RetroCanuck

5 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Bartkowski was signed for 1 year as a UFA. Spooner was acquired for Gagner. Granlund was acquired for Shinkaruk (how's he doing BTW?). Baertschi was acquired for a 2nd which can be argued with the most value given up, but he's also the best player of that group you brought up.

Your logic doesn't make sense.

Eh?! How does it not make sense? His favouritism for past garbage players is there no matter how we acquired them. And the favouritism is there no matter how little you think we gave up for them, I think a second is a lot btw especially since we haven’t been able to get any in any trades.

Besides, he has already massively overpaid for these so called “character” players. Prust and Dorset for example. I am just saying don’t be surprised if dim Jim overpays for Lucic. It’s certainly plausible and it makes perfect sense whether you like it or not. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Sure, but Lucic has been extra quiet against Vancouver for a long time now.  

Lucic fought Derek Boogard, I highly doubt that he was scared of Guddy. 

I don't think any of these guys are particularly 'scared' of anyone. Lucic sure didn't want anything to do with Gudbranson though (didn't even respond or retaliate to the hit) and basically had none of his usual shenanigans the rest of the game.

Point being Guddy is at least as tough/as much of a deterrent (tougher IMO) and was on the ice 150%+ more than Lucic would be and it still didn't stop other players from 'taking advantage'. These days you need team toughness and ideally a skilled tough guy that can play and skate in your top 6, not a 4th line goon (what Lucic is now and at $6m per). They're basically extinct. 

Hence that's a poor reason to acquire Lucic. Again, he needs to be viewed as a 'cost', not an 'asset' in any potential trade.

5 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Eh?! How does it not make sense? His favouritism for past garbage players is there no matter how we acquired them. And the favouritism is there no matter how little you think we gave up for them, I think a second is a lot btw especially since we haven’t been able to get any in any trades.

Besides, he has already massively overpaid for these so called “character” players. Prust and Dorset for example. I am just saying don’t be surprised if dim Jim overpays for Lucic. It’s certainly plausible and it makes perfect sense whether you like it or not. 

If you suggest that Benning likes his former players, then maybe there a claim there (but is no GM allowed to touch any players that's been on a previous team without it being considered "favouritism"), but he's only brought in two guys where one he signed as a one year UFA and the other is a short term contract and was traded for a guy that wasn't even playing for our farm team anymore. One is no longer on this team and the other likely won't last long either. Hardly any overpayment and not for any bad contract like Lucic would be. While it's plausible that we could bring him in, but it would be because we should hopefully be garnering assets to take him on (like those elusive high picks that you're clamouring about), but your logic makes no sense.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, theo5789 said:

If you suggest that Benning likes his former players, then maybe there a claim there (but is no GM allowed to touch any players that's been on a previous team without it being considered "favouritism"), but he's only brought in two guys where one he signed as a one year UFA and the other is a short term contract and was traded for a guy that wasn't even playing for our farm team anymore. One is no longer on this team and the other likely won't last long either. Hardly any overpayment and not for any bad contract like Lucic would be. While it's plausible that we could bring him in, but it would be because we should hopefully be garnering assets to take him on (like those elusive high picks that you're clamouring about), but your logic makes no sense.

No, it makes sense because it sets a precedent or pattern in his way of thinking or in this case, not thinking.

Let’s say I am willing to go out on a limb and say if we did make this trade. It would be a straight swap or we even might have to add because he loves his ex hack Bruins. In fact, that’s probably why he was willing to overpay for Eriksson now that I think about it. To him it was a slam dunk. Plays with the Sedins internationally, ex Bruin, defensive ish forward. It’s typical Benning and his short sightedness is a huge reason that we aren’t contending yet. 

My guess is that if this trade happens, it will be a straight trade or we throw in a low pick or prospect Benning is giving up on too early. Makes perfect sense based on my reasoning and Benning’s previous poor moves. You can’t or refuse to see the pattern because of your bias would be my guess. 

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

I don't think any of these guys are particularly 'scared' of anyone. Lucic sure didn't want anything to do with Gudbranson though (didn't even respond or retaliate to the hit) and basically had none of his usual shenanigans the rest of the game.

Point being Guddy is at least as tough/as much of a deterrent (tougher IMO) and was on the ice 150%+ more than Lucic would be and it still didn't stop other players from 'taking advantage'. These days you need team toughness and ideally a skilled tough guy that can play and skate in your top 6, not a 4th line goon (what Lucic is now and at $6m per). They're basically extinct. 

Hence that's a poor reason to acquire Lucic. Again, he needs to be viewed as a 'cost', not an 'asset' in any potential trade.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on the first part but I do share your opinion that Lucic is considered a cost and that any trade involving him should compensate us accordingly.  

On 5/12/2019 at 8:43 PM, N7Nucks said:

If people that are paid to write articles are absolved of stupidity cause a select group of grown men with too much time on their hands make up dumb proposals on a forum site than our media expectations are way too low.

The problem is, as long as people open up the articles (they don't even need to read them even) the media have effectively "done their job" on generating traffic. The standard essentially comes from the boss and not the people unfortunately which really is not ideal for us, yet ideal for capitalism. Thus, the world we live in.

• Cheers 1

I am in no favor of a Loui Eriksson for Milan Lucic trade.  But if Olli Juolevi (would have to be protected in expansion draft) and Evan Bouchard (would not have to be protected in expansion draft, at least I think) were involved (Benning not initiating it because we know he would add a draft pick plus Milan Lucic waving all future protection clauses) I might pause to consider.

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Why?

Taking on Lucic alone is worth getting Bouchard (not that EDM would or should give him up). Why the $#@& are we adding our 10th? Hutton is also worth more than Kassian. And then you throw in Goldy as well (I mean who cares but we certainly don't need to add MORE).

On 5/18/2019 at 11:59 AM, aGENT said:

Taking on Lucic alone is worth getting Bouchard (not that EDM would or should give him up). Why the $#@& are we adding our 10th? Hutton is also worth more than Kassian. And then you throw in Goldy as well (I mean who cares but we certainly don't need to add MORE).

According to who? There is no pressure. They can make a move if it makes sense.

image.png.5ba33aae1d3649f187502c0bc091aafd.png

This is their need to re-sign list above. A backup goalie also needs to be sourced. And they have $10,758,001 to sign / replace these 5 players + a goalie?

Of these, maybe, Khaira needs a raise?  Yamamoto, Benson, Marody, Bouchard & Caleb Jones are players in their system that, debatably are due promotion. Maybe Kailer would be better served marinating? The highest cap hit among belongs to Marody at $925,000. They have nearly $5 mill either for a goalie? Or a backup goalie and more likely some veteran help. Its not a great deal of money, but its nothing where they have a gun to their head...

image.png.ea755917ba7470c6985e2442492241bb.png 

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/oilers

8 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

According to who? There is no pressure. They can make a move if it makes sense.

According to me. I'm not suggesting that's what they're willing to add. I'm stating that's (roughly) what it's going to cost them. Unless they can find a sucker (unlikely) or take cap back (an 'Eriksson') which doesn't help them much.

It's a boat anchor and if they don't move him (or buy him out, saving almost no cap), they waste an ED spot on him. It's going to COST them to move him.

They have plenty of pressure. They need to improve, not stay status quo and don't have cap space to do so. And if they don't pay up, they're free to be saddled with that boat anchor while their already pissed off super star toils in mediocrity with no team around him until he demands a trade.

Good luck with that.

Edited by aGENT

Lucic full salary and 2019 #8 pick to Ottawa for a bag of pucks is the only trade that would be a fair deal for both sides.

as far as Canucks go we are sadly stuck with Loui E til his contract is up.

or Canuck give up something stupid to move him and his contract.

Edited by HockeyHarry

Don't understand how this Lucic discussion still has legs, logistically it makes no sense. LE would have to go the other way and I don't see him not putting EDM on his no-trade list. Also, LE has less term, less money, and is the more useful player. My guess is that he is still a Canuck on opening night.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

According to me. I'm not suggesting that's what they're willing to add. I'm stating that's (roughly) what it's going to cost them. Unless they can find a sucker (unlikely) or take cap back (an 'Eriksson') which doesn't help them much.

It's a boat anchor and if they don't move him (or buy him out, saving almost no cap), they waste an ED spot on him. It's going to COST them to move him.

They have plenty of pressure. They need to improve, not stay status quo and don't have cap space to do so. And if they don't pay up, they're free to be saddled with that boat anchor while their already pissed off super star toils in mediocrity with no team around him until he demands a trade.

Good luck with that.

I'm not familiar with any deal historically that pays a lottery pick to take on a contract. I am glad you have suggested its just your opinion.

Bickell paid Teravainen, who was 18th overall. But he was not on a significant upward trend when moved. Nick Leddy was more or less gifted to NYI for reclamation parts. But in both cases Chicago was not going to make cap, had to make a move. And still did not return a Bouchard or 8th overall pick. There is no reference.

Nor is there the same cap pressure. Yeah it may cost them their 9th best player in expansion. Instead of10th. So give up a lottery pick, or Bouchard. Either who who would project in their top 3 or 5 players? That argument, one would hope, should not be very strong.

They hired a new GM to stop making ill advised trades, and the new GM will hire a coach. To settle things down.  

Some guy as trumped as they come, does that sound familiar (?), instead jumps in & wrote an article. Which more or less suggests he knows about trade values favourable to his team. Suggesting someone, presumably if they listened to him, could solve all the Oilers problems! By making trades on his presumed values?    

There is no need put a piece of carbon paper on the article. And regurgitate it with a Canuck bend as fact in rebuttal. Its garbage.  

As for my sense of luck? FTR, I will bet on Holland ignoring the noise. Thanks for your suggestion though...

36 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I'm not familiar with any deal historically that pays a lottery pick to take on a contract. I am glad you have suggested its just your opinion.

Bickell paid Teravainen, who was 18th overall. But he was not on a significant upward trend when moved. Nick Leddy was more or less gifted to NYI for reclamation parts. But in both cases Chicago was not going to make cap, had to make a move. And still did not return a Bouchard or 8th overall pick. There is no reference.

Nor is there the same cap pressure. Yeah it may cost them their 9th best player in expansion. Instead of10th. So give up a lottery pick, or Bouchard. Either who who would project in their top 3 or 5 players? That argument, one would hope, should not be very strong.

They hired a new GM to stop making ill advised trades, and the new GM will hire a coach. To settle things down.  

Some guy as trumped as they come, does that sound familiar (?), instead jumps in & wrote an article. Which more or less suggests he knows about trade values favourable to his team. Suggesting someone, presumably if they listened to him, could solve all the Oilers problems! By making trades on his presumed values?    

There is no need put a piece of carbon paper on the article. And regurgitate it with a Canuck bend as fact in rebuttal. Its garbage.  

As for my sense of luck? FTR, I will bet on Holland ignoring the noise. Thanks for your suggestion though...

Who else's opinion would it be? :blink:

Didn't Bickel only have one year left at a $4m hit?

Lucic has 4 more years at $6m. Plus an NMC that forces them to lose a better player than they need to. If you don't see why there's a value difference there...

And no, they don't have cap space. After they re-sign guys, they have zero cap to add. And they desperately need to add a better team around McDavid and Drai and are under a tremendous amount of pressure to do so. With zero leverage.

You have a tremendous misread of their situation IMO.

Do I think Holland is going to pay up? Not particularly but he's got very few options and needs to do something to build a team around his stars. He is at the proverbial rock and hard place. If the Canucks are the team to do him the favour of taking on that anchor, it best come with some very large sweetener or they can just suffer keeping him IMO. Or he can find himself another sucker.

29 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Honestly, surfer...….

I think Holland was brought in to make solid decisions, whether they be moving players, trading picks, not trading picks, standing pat, or anything else...…….

Which I know you know......as you said settle things down....

But! McDavid and Draisaitl are both burning a hole in the Edmonton fans pockets, and they will have to see some results soon. Soon being as soon as 2 years from now......to me that smells of UFA's, which also means they need cap space...…..

It is either that, or they wait another 2 or 3 years to draft enough to compete...….

Personally. I have not a clue.....but I think something gives...…..maybe RNH out ????? they say it is easy to draft wingers...…….

But when you are need of wingers, defensemen and a goalie...….that sounds like more than a couple of drafts if you are just building through the draft.....

A Baertschi  for Lucic 50% retained, and the 8th....gets them 1/2 way there...….not saying Baertschi necessarily, but another teams version of the same deal might happen

and it is not ill advised trades...…….but good trades they are looking for...…...but standing pat is just like us with Ericksson but they are further along the contracts with less skill everywhere except McDavid than us...……..I am not sure they have time to build through the draft entirely

Holland will have to show some skill, that is for sure!

• Cheers 1