The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Chicago - VAN

So the idea that crossed my mind is this.  Chicago trades Brent Seabrook, and their 1st overall 2019 for Vancouvers 1st overall.  

Understanding Brent has an NMC, but I'm not sure it would be  that hard to convince a Richmond native to waive to finish his career playing at home.  Hawks obviously do it to free up needed cap and they can still draft a very good player, and Vancouver does it to get their hands on Byram.  We get 4 years of a declining defenceman who might retire early who would fit nicely in a 5-6 role on our team to mentor our soon to be very young blue line.  This would also keep Vancouver out of the UFA market, and we can then sort out the remaining defenders we have and ship out one or two.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

Chicago is at the point where they have been good for too long.

I think they keep the pick and go with the highest ceiling offensive fwd available they like. One that can learn and compliment Kane and Toews.

Its a rare moment to retool on the fly. 

So I think the cap dump isnt as big of a deal. With Seattle coming they will lose a contract.

They were very close to the playoffs near the end. I think they mostly stand pat with the pick.

Maybe a young D for Seabrook?

Hutton + Rights to Tryamkin?

If Chicago retains at least a Million in his salary then it should be considered. His CF for dipped this year but in most year's he's been above 50 percent. I don't think he'd be a huge liability in the defensive zone and he brings some grit.  Getting Byram would be massive for the Canucks. 

53 minutes ago, Type R said:

So the idea that crossed my mind is this.  Chicago trades Brent Seabrook, and their 1st overall 2019 for Vancouvers 1st overall.  

Understanding Brent has an NMC, but I'm not sure it would be  that hard to convince a Richmond native to waive to finish his career playing at home.  Hawks obviously do it to free up needed cap and they can still draft a very good player, and Vancouver does it to get their hands on Byram.  We get 4 years of a declining defenceman who might retire early who would fit nicely in a 5-6 role on our team to mentor our soon to be very young blue line.  This would also keep Vancouver out of the UFA market, and we can then sort out the remaining defenders we have and ship out one or two.

Thoughts?

We would have to protect him in the expansion draft and I would not be comfortable with that so, as much as I would like to get Byram, I am going to have to pass.

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Pointless trade. 

Chicago just keeps their own pick and announces that Seabrook has a skin disorder.

Done. 

Hossa legitimately did have a skin disorder, but I'm sure they'd have no hardship with getting rid of Seabrook's contract in a way which doesn't make them give up the 3rd overall pick - whether it's LTIRetirement or Trade or whatnot

4 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

Hossa legitimately did have a skin disorder, but I'm sure they'd have no hardship with getting rid of Seabrook's contract in a way which doesn't make them give up the 3rd overall pick - whether it's LTIRetirement or Trade or whatnot

I don't understand why everyone is so salty over this - if Luongo ends up not able to play due to injury and is not allowed to go on LTIR then get upset folks. Hossa was diagnosed with a skin disease by a medical doctor. End of story.

As for the trade proposal I think Chicago keeps the 4th overall - drafts Byram and then moves Seabrook to a team needing cap space or with salary retained.

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Pointless trade. 

Chicago just keeps their own pick and announces that Seabrook has a skin disorder.

Done. 

Unfortunately you're right and this is much more likely. 

You don't need to give up assets if you're Chicago... Especially when you're in bed with the old boys club like they are.

Seabrook still put up a respectable close to 30 point season putting him 3rd in scoring on their defense. He's still been healthy. They have about 17 million in cap space heading into next season with most of their big pieces signed. I don't see any urgency for them to want/need to move him. His contract and cap does take him to age 39 though which could be bad by the end of it. He has a NMC which limits the options to be moved to and therefore making the value to move him more difficult. The last 2 years of his contract becomes a modified NTC where he will likely pick destinations where he would like to retire and I'm sure they could make a deal then if the purpose is to find teams that want to capitalize on their cap space or whatever. Seabrook may even be LTIR fodder by then saving them the hassle of losing assets too.

4 hours ago, thejazz97 said:

Marian Hossa had eczema which is extremely common and many people have. This is one of the easiest things to treat. Conveniently for Marian and the Blackhawks it got to its worst state once he was in his low real salary years of his deal. 

Jazz you're one of my fav posters here... Please don't drink the Chicago Blackhawks Kool-Aid. There's no chance in hell Marian retires if those last 4 years were paying him the same as what he earned in his earlier years. 

As soon as his deal hit the final 4 years of 1 million in actual salary, he hung up the skates. 

Chicago won 3 cups by cheating and bringing down his AAV over the 12 year deal... When we all knew it was an 8 year deal and the final 4 years of 1 million were never going to be played. 

4 hours ago, MikeBossy said:

I don't understand why everyone is so salty over this - if Luongo ends up not able to play due to injury and is not allowed to go on LTIR then get upset folks. Hossa was diagnosed with a skin disease by a medical doctor. End of story.

As for the trade proposal I think Chicago keeps the 4th overall - drafts Byram and then moves Seabrook to a team needing cap space or with salary retained.

I'll tell you why people are salty... Well I'll tell you why I'm salty but I'm sure I can speak for most people that are also salty over this 

1) we're not sure if the nhl/old boys club will end up penalizing us or not yet... 

2) this "luongo rule" was made up to target Mike Gillis and his hardball days as an agent 

3) Hossas deal was blatant cheating... At least luongo doesn't start getting only 1 million until his final two years... Hossas contract is blatant cheating and dropped to 1 million for his last 4 years! 

4) last but not least... It DESTROYED the trade value of our superstar goaltender at the time and we ended up getting nothing compared to the haul we would have, had they not made luongo and the Canucks organization the sole target of the rule 

Hossas contract is worse than the Kovalchuk deal that got vetoed and ultimately cost NJD their 1st round pick to fall to #30 

If Chicago didn't have the final 4 years (which he never played) at 1 million, they would have 2.9 million less cap space on all 3 of those cup teams 

The nhl is truly a disgrace. I just watch for entertainment. Not because I think there's a fair landscape for teams to succeed... Because there isn't. 

Edited by apollo
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, apollo said:

Marian Hossa had eczema which is extremely common and many people have. This is one of the easiest things to treat. Conveniently for Marian and the Blackhawks it got to its worst state once he was in his low real salary years of his deal. 

Jazz you're one of my fav posters here... Please don't drink the Chicago Blackhawks Kool-Aid. There's no chance in hell Marian retires if those last 3 years were paying him the same as what he earned in his earlier years. 

As soon as his deal hit the final 4 years of 1 million in actual salary, he hung up the skates. 

Chicago won 3 cups by cheating and bringing down his AAV over the 12 year deal... When we all knew it was an 8 year deal and the final 4 years of 1 million were never going to be played. 

I'll admit that a lot of league decisions favoured Chicago over the past few years.

And I do think that the fact he was only getting paid $1m/season for the rest of his career made it more palatable for Hossa to retire. I don't think it was a cheap move by the Blackhawks, though, even though it did help them out.

We'll be able to get out of the Luongo situation just fine. Worst case scenario, the team sues the league.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, thejazz97 said:

I'll admit that a lot of league decisions favoured Chicago over the past few years.

And I do think that the fact he was only getting paid $1m/season for the rest of his career made it more palatable for Hossa to retire. I don't think it was a cheap move by the Blackhawks, though, even though it did help them out.

We'll be able to get out of the Luongo situation just fine. Worst case scenario, the team sues the league.

Yea if the team doesn't sue I'll be sueing them and getting as many Canucks fans on board as possible lol! Either that or just boycott the league? :huh::lol:

Also I've heard Marian talk about the eczema... I honestly don't buy a single word of it. He was completely coached on what to say. I want to see pictures and talk to the doctor. 

I had ezcema for a few years and went to a few dermatologist and family doctors... They'd just run around circles and prescribe drugs big pharma pushes them to prescribe... I'm not against big pharma for most illnesses but certain things are not fixed by big pharma who wants to goug the taxpayer for every penny 

Smartened up and saw a naturopath and it was fixed within 3 months at most.

Trust me a rich guy like hossa could easily fix his ezcema if he wanted to. When you sign 8 years for 7.9 million and put final 4 years at 1 million, that shows all your intention. 

I haven't diagnosed him but I'm gonna guess he was either drinking alcohol regularly or eating something that was doing it to him... To blame it on hockey gear... Face palm. 

Edit: lastly I'm not saying the MG wasn't also trying to cheat the system but Luongo wasn't planning on retiring until the final 2 years when he hit 1 mill AAV. Unlike hossa and the hawks that put 4 years. 

I believe the kovalchuk contract that got rejected had 5 years at 600k 

Edited by apollo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, apollo said:

Yea if the team doesn't sue I'll be sueing them and getting as many Canucks fans on board as possible lol! Either that or just boycott the league? :huh::lol:

Also I've heard Marian talk about the eczema... I honestly don't buy a single word of it. He was completely coached on what to say. I want to see pictures and talk to the doctor. 

I had ezcema for a few years and went to a few dermatologist and family doctors... They'd just run around circles and prescribe drugs big pharma pushes them to prescribe... I'm not against big pharma for most illnesses but certain things are not fixed by big pharma who wants to goug the taxpayer for every penny 

Trust me a rich guy like hossa could easily fix his ezcema if he wanted to. When you sign 8 years for 7.9 million and put final 4 years at 1 million, that shows all your intention. 

I haven't diagnosed him but I'm gonna guess he was either drinking alcohol regularly or eating something that was doing it to him... To blame it on hockey gear... Face palm. 

Edit: lastly I'm not saying the MG wasn't also trying to cheat the system but Luongo wasn't planning on retiring until the final 2 years when he hit 1 mill AAV. Unlike hossa and the hawks that put 4 years. 

Dr. Recchi is that you?

I suggest you keep your day job, because diagnosing people over the internet is not working.

3 hours ago, apollo said:

All this then the cap floor teams trade to get these contracts so they can count the full cap toward getting to the cap floor while paying in real dollars almost nothing.  

• Cheers 1