Canucks Community

[Report] Maple Leafs sign president Brendan Shanahan to contract extension

Rate this topic

32 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:
image.jpeg.f457e738bacfb42223b432253e91e9d3.jpeg
2 hours ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Tavares + Matthews >>> EP + Bo

But, but EP is "Generational"!

I think you took a wrong turn on your way to HF Boards.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Time will only tell.

At the end of they day, it was inevitable the cap crunch they’d face. It’s about how they can manage it to the best of their ability. It’s not like Lou/Hunter would be able to avoid it. I’d say Dubas messed up in handling the Nylander situation. Should’ve traded him for a cheaper dman when he had the chance but what’s done is done. Props to him for getting Muzzin which was a great value buy on his part.

Yup.  The Leafs are definitely all in over the next couple seasons.  

• Cheers 1

On 5/16/2019 at 7:49 PM, Generational.EP40 said:

Hey, at least your 1 less non-STH who’d be glad with the Eriksson’s of the world. 

But but but, TORONTO ! 

:rolleyes::wacko:

Hey Captain Flip Flops!

Aren't you the author of the following thread "LOL".

But, but, but Toronto!!

On 4/24/2019 at 3:47 PM, Generational.EP40 said:

Just going to put this out there. For all that Leafs attention always on national tv, here’s a little prediction to humble them even more now that they’re eliminated (again).

Toronto already topped off this year. They thought very short term and as a result won’t be able to sustain a top team due to the financial aspect of things. Going forward they’ll be in a cap crunch. They’ll be losing a lot of quality players and won’t have enough money to replace them let alone improve on them. Their best chance was this year and they choked. Not trading Nylander when his value was high for a proper dman is one of a few places they went wrong. Now after the lacklustre shortened year he’s had (which they should have never let happen because it meant he came into the season cold) they’re stuck with him. Him and his agent have publicly stated Dubas gave his word that as long as he’s in charge he won’t be traded so even if he does, that’ll blow back in their face and the fact they won’t get the return they once could have as that ship has sailed.

Here’s some history:

05D27175-4571-497D-B77C-B3540AAD324C.jpeg.739e556ffe555614a822ada53dfe66e4.jpeg

...and let’s not forget they are THEE ONLY Canadian team yet to win a playoff series in the salary cap era :lol:

Matthews, Tavares, Nylander, Rielly, Andersen, Marner (assume $10m here at the least) - that’s $50m in cap tied up in 6 players alone aka 62% of the current upper cap limit. It’s even more absurd when you account for Kadri’s & Zaitsev’s identical $4.5m cap hits which adds up to $59m / 75% of their cap space, with the latter being a terrible contract!!!

So yea, sorry not sorry. That’s what happens when you get ahead of yourselves and mismanage when it matters most. At least the Canucks are in the beginning process so it doesn’t hurt as much being able to learn and move forward in these early stages. And it’s why I’m confident in predicting this. 

- RIP Shanaplan (2015/16 - 2018/19) :gocan::towel:

Not sure if trolling, or simply can't get your story straight / can't remember from one day to the next what your story is "LOL".

9 hours ago, oldnews said:

Hey Captain Flip Flops!

But, but, but Toronto!!

Not sure if trolling, or simply can't get your story straight / can't remember from one day to the next what your story is "LOL".

Uhhh, not gonna lie it’s kinda sorta definitely is creepy how obsessed you are with me...hard to believe you actually dug through to find that 3 days after the last post in this thread was made just to mention me again.

...and just to respond, so what? That’s just my prediction lol. TO still has a lot of talented players. I just think they peaked at the wrong time with their cap situation and it’ll be tough to build on it, at least now. Down the road who knows with the cap always rising and if they’re able to move bodies to maneuver around just as all teams do. And again for the hundredth time, that doesn’t (and nothing really) take away from the quality they’ve accumulated. There’s only 1 SC winner a season so does that mean every team is a failure as you make it out to be? Hell no. Teams makes progress and the Leafs have done that ever since Shanny took over. Your blind homerism + hate is so much that you can’t even recognize that. So it’s hard to take you seriously when it’s not possible to have a rational conversation with you.

But yea as I said, pretty creepy that you’re this obsessed :blink:

I think for Toronto if they can identify their core and continue to draft and develop well they will be fine.

As I see it now their core are:

Matthews

Tavares

Reilley 

Marner 

Other guys like the Nylander (from what we've seen thus far), Kadri, and others can probably be traded for other players or picks. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

I think for Toronto if they can identify their core and continue to draft and develop well they will be fine.

As I see it now their core are:

Matthews

Tavares

Reilley 

Marner 

Other guys like the Nylander (from what we've seen thus far), Kadri, and others can probably be traded for other players or picks. 

I think their goalie - Anderson- is part of that core too.  They definitely need to make trades though, and ones that might look bad on a superficial level.  They clearly need to move their softer skilled guys (Nylander for sure) for size, meanness, compete, and grit.  Getting Muzzin was a start.  Nylander for a guy like Clutterbuck would be the direction they need to take.  

I friggin’ hate the Leafs though, so I hope they continue with their soft players.

One guy they shouldn’t trade is Kadri.  He’s vicious.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Uhhh, not gonna lie it’s kinda sorta definitely is creepy how obsessed you are with me...hard to believe you actually dug through to find that 3 days after the last post in this thread was made just to mention me again.

...and just to respond, so what? That’s just my prediction lol. TO still has a lot of talented players. I just think they peaked at the wrong time with their cap situation and it’ll be tough to build on it, at least now. Down the road who knows with the cap always rising and if they’re able to move bodies to maneuver around just as all teams do. And again for the hundredth time, that doesn’t (and nothing really) take away from the quality they’ve accumulated. There’s only 1 SC winner a season so does that mean every team is a failure as you make it out to be? Hell no. Teams makes progress and the Leafs have done that ever since Shanny took over. Your blind homerism + hate is so much that you can’t even recognize that. So it’s hard to take you seriously when it’s not possible to have a rational conversation with you.

But yea as I said, pretty creepy that you’re this obsessed :blink:

23 hours ago, oldnews said:

Hey Captain Flip Flops!

But, but, but Toronto!!

Not sure if I should get involved in this sh#t show, but old news does have a valid point here.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Uhhh, not gonna lie

duh - you flatter yourself kid.

I was looking through the Canucks forum threads for the "free agents or  trade" thread, and your laughable, flat out contradiction jumped out.

Not surprised you're unable to own your comical flip-flopping.    Don't really care though.  Flip flop on Spamaplan hater/fluffer, whatever you are lol.

On 5/14/2019 at 7:48 PM, Generational.EP40 said:

He turned around what was once that decades long tire fire of a team + in the most intense hockey market in the world. Seemed like it was an impossible task but he took them out of the gutters and they now have an excellent on ice product, definitely being in the top tier of the league.

So props to him and well deserved. Although I think 6 years might be overkill but hey, I guess after that daunting mission he tackled he’s earned the benefit of the doubt for the additional year or 2.

16 teams make the playoffs and 8 of those bow out in the First round, as the Leafs did. Does that put them in the top tier??? Okay, then.

Guess they set the bar pretty low in some places;)

• Cheers 2

On 5/16/2019 at 9:18 PM, Generational.EP40 said:

Tavares + Matthews >>> EP + Bo

Marner >> Boeser

Rielly > Hughes

(for the time being, not saying future)

Andersen > Demko/Markstrom

(same thing as above, saying about the now)

Kadri > Sutter

Muzzin >/= Edler 

...Nylander would be the Canucks 2nd best winger behind Boeser hypothetically speaking. And they have Johnsson and Kapanen who are better than majority of our wingers. 

“ TrY tO aNsWeR tHe QuEsTiOn

ThAtS wHAt I tHoUgHt ” 

^I’d love to see you respond using your own logic there. Please explain how the Leafs are in a worse spot than us. Financially speaking sure, the cap caught up to them. No one’s denying that. I’m talking about talent for talent.

But dw man, the Canucks are on the rise and those Leafs suck amirite !!!

:wacko:

So the Elite Laffs are better than the still rebuilding Canucks. Whoop dee frighten doo. 

Are they awarding the Stanley Cup for that these days?  Laffs reward their president a contract extension because he was able to elevate the team’s game to just over the mediocrity level. Riveting stuff to occupy our minds until the real important games are being played. Tales from the middle of the tables as it were.

only a true beLeafer really cares.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Lol

never praise the Leafs, don’t even say a positive word...

Or take on the hoard. 

They have earned it if you look at things objectively. There is A LOT of work they have to do to be an actual contender. They have no cap and that defence is atrocious, if they do not address that issue they will be a 1 and done team depending on Andersen to get them to lose in 7 just like the last 2 seasons.