Sign in to follow this  
DonLever

Hollywood Legend Doris Day Dead at Age 97

Posted (edited)

Doris Day, who died yesterday, was one of the biggest stars of the 1950's and 1960's.   She starred with the biggest stars of Hollywood's Golden era.   She worked with Hollywood Legends like Kirk Douglas, James Gagney,  Lauren Bacall. Errol Flynn, Frank Sinatra, James Stewart, Clark Gable, Cary Grant, and Rock Hudson.

Doris Day was ranked the #1 box office draw in 1960, 1962, 1963, and 1964.  In 1961 and 1965 she was ranked #3.

After retiring in 1973, she mainly worked with her foundation for Animal Welfare.  Since she retired so long ago, I doubt many on this forum know her but I am sure your parents or grandparents will be familiar with her.  If you are classic movie fan you can sometimes see her movies on TCM (Turner Classic Movies).

Edited by DonLever
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-48257670

Hollywood legend Doris Day, whose films made her one of the biggest stars of all time, has died aged 97.

The singer turned actress starred in films such as Calamity Jane and Pillow Talk and had a hit in 1956 with Que Sera, Sera (Whatever Will Be, Will Be).

Her screen partnership with Rock Hudson is one of the best-known in the history of romantic movies.

In a statement, the Doris Day Animal Foundation said she died on Monday at her home in Carmel Valley, California.

It said she had been "in excellent physical health for her age, until recently contracting a serious case of pneumonia".

Born Doris Mary Ann Von Kappelhoff in April 1922, Day originally wanted to be a dancer but had to abandon her dream after breaking her right leg in a car accident.

Instead she began her singing career at the age of 15. Her first hit, Sentimental Journey, would become a signature tune.

Her films, which included Alfred Hitchcock's The Man Who Knew Too Much and That Touch of Mink, made her known around the world.

But she never won an Oscar and was nominated only once, in 1960, for Pillow Talk, the first of her three romantic comedies with Hudson.

Honours she did receive included the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2004 and a lifetime achievement Grammy in 2008.

Her last release, the compilation album My Heart, went to number one in the UK in 2011.

Born Doris Mary Ann Von Kappelhoff in April 1922, Day originally wanted to be a dancer but had to abandon her dream after breaking her right leg in a car accident.

Instead she began her singing career at the age of 15. Her first hit, Sentimental Journey, would become a signature tune.

Her films, which included Alfred Hitchcock's The Man Who Knew Too Much and That Touch of Mink, made her known around the world.

But she never won an Oscar and was nominated only once, in 1960, for Pillow Talk, the first of her three romantic comedies with Hudson.

Honours she did receive included the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2004 and a lifetime achievement Grammy in 2008.

Her last release, the compilation album My Heart, went to number one in the UK in 2011.

Dick Van Dyke, another Hollywood legend from the same era although he never worked with Day, said she had an "energy about her".

"She wasn't trying to act. It was just who Doris Day was, I think, a great energy and exhilaration, and she seemed to love life, at least that's the impression you got," he told BBC Radio 4's PM programme. "It was a great era."

Star Trek actor William Shatner remembered Day on Twitter as "the World's Sweetheart," saying she was "beloved by all".

Fellow Star Trek cast member George Takei said she was "synonymous with Hollywood icon", while Spanish actor Antonio Banderas wrote: "Thank you for your talent."

Novelist Paulo Coelho marked her passing by quoting lyrics from Secret Love, one of her numbers in Calamity Jane.

"We've lost another great Hollywood talent," tweeted Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane, while actor Luke Evans said he had "always loved" her voice and "beautiful" songs.

Former Beatles member Paul McCartney paid tribute to Day on his website, describing her as "very funny lady who I shared many laughs with", adding: "I will miss her but will always remember her twinkling smile and infectious laugh".

And his daughter, fashion designer Stella McCartney, shared a photo of her and Day alongside words which read: "The one, the only, the woman who inspired so much of what I do."

Edited by DonLever
  • Like 1

She was a very classy lady, always the girl you wanted to take home to mom. Very sorry to hear of her passing.

R.I.P. Doris....heaven just got a lot more funnier today and added a wonderful singer to boot.

18 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

She was a very classy lady, always the girl you wanted to take home to mom. Very sorry to hear of her passing.

R.I.P. Doris....heaven just got a lot more funnier today and added a wonderful singer to boot.

Unfortunately they kind of typecast her as the 40+ year old virgin during the "free loving 60s/early 70s".  As an actress I think she had talent/range to do much, much more.

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Unfortunately they kind of typecast her as the 40+ year old virgin during the "free loving 60s/early 70s".  As an actress I think she had talent/range to do much, much more.

She had a lot of quality movies in the 50's that I really liked without that type casting. "The Man  Who Knew Too Much" was probably my favorite.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

She had a lot of quality movies in the 50's that I really liked without that type casting. "The Man  Who Knew Too Much" was probably my favorite.

Yeah that's why I said she had the talent to be much more than that.  It seemed in the 60s/70s that was the only type of roles she was given & I think played a big part in her decision to work on TV (which REALLY was looked down upon in those days).

Underrated actress (and even better singer obviously).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

That's a name most people have probably heard at least once at rightly so. She had a tremendous impact on the pop culture of old. RIP.