The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bill Nye Loses HIs Sh*t to get Global Warming Message Across

nucklehead

42 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Exactly. China is a country that takes a long view.

OTOH, the US tries to resurrect a dying coal industry in the name of preserving votes in states like W Virginia....

China is still building coal plants like its going out of style.

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

I remember he'd appear on Almost Live from time to time back in the day, I miss that show.

How most kids in the Pacific Northwest were introduced to Soundgarden.

tumblr_m6lsv6iTvs1r2za3do5_r1_250.gif

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

How most kids in the Pacific Northwest were introduced to Soundgarden.

tumblr_m6lsv6iTvs1r2za3do5_r1_250.gif

lol and Soul Asylum(i think). 

'Lame'

'So lame'

'Dude that was bodaciously lame' 

Most nights that show was better than SNL

• Upvote 2

Just now, Tre Mac said:

lol and Soul Asylum(i think). 

'Lame'

'So lame'

'Dude that was bodaciously lame' 

Most nights that show was better than SNL

I don't think Soul Asylum were ever on it, as they were from Minnesota, although I could be mistaken.

21 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't think Soul Asylum were ever on it, as they were from Minnesota, although I could be mistaken.

You're right, probably just someone who looked like the lead singer

• "The Lame List", or, "What’s Weak This Week": a parody of 1980s/1990s Grunge/slacker culture, featuring "members of Seattle's heavy metal community" who disapprovingly react to a list of hypothetical, everyday situations (e.g., jobs that start in the morning; girlfriends who won't give us beer money) by repeatedly yelling "Lame!". Each list includes an additional, out-of-place, sophisticated hypothetical (e.g., Eastern European nations shifting to a free market economy), to which the metalheads react with blank bewilderment. Participants included local DJ Jeff Gilbert, Kim Thayil of Soundgarden, Matt and Chris Fox of Bitter End, Tony Benjamins and Brad Hull of Forced Entry, Marty Chandler of Panic, Jeff Hubbard (head roadie of the band Alice in Chains) and other Seattle-area musicians.

And here's the part about Bill Nye

Also forgot about:

• "Mind Your Manners, with Billy Quan", a parody of Bruce Lee’s martial arts films, with staff cameraman Darrell Suto in the starring role. This later became a recurring segment on the Bill Nye the Science Guy TV show.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

It's probably because mass murder is a pretty hard sell for most people. 

That got a little dark I was mostly considering it from an angle of reproducing less and driving population down.  That’s probably a harder sell than getting people to quit using oil but realistically where things need to go if we care an iota about the planet.

7 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Bill Nye is a very well accredited Science professor, who has loads and loads of money and fame......

What do you have Jack?

Well, he has a bachelor degree and so do I. Looks like I'm also a science professor! He's also a science advocate, wow so am I!

Edited by Where'd Luongo?
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

My question is: What qualifies one as a "scientist"? Are we to believe that a Bachelor of Science from Cornell isn't enough? Working for Boeing as a Mechanical Engineer isn't enough?

Who decides?

A bacheors in science/engineering or clear demonstrated understanding of objective empirical phenomena, differentiation between causation and correlation, etc. are sufficient. 
That being said, as a scientist, people are still people and scientists are just as corruptible as the next person - whether it be by anti-vaxxers or such. Ergo, appeal to authority in science is irrelevant and superfluous. I am willing to accept a scientists pronounciations - even if he/she has a nobel prize in Physics or such- in their own field- only so much. Without access to their actual work and the science being demonstrated, i am very rarely staunchly convinced of a scientist's proclamation.

This is why i am not 100% sold on the manmade global warming by CO2 emissions scenario because i am yet to see a paper on it that demonstrates the correlation or causation of temperature increase with corresponding CO2 levels in the atmosphere in geological time-frames. At this point, i am leaning more towards the Milankovich cycle being the decisive underlying phenomena for global warming, with the manmade emissions being a minor factor. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

All we can do is put pressure on politicians and support those who see the need for action on CC. It doesn't mean you have to vote Green, but if you truly do want to do something, don't vote for any politician who denies the reality of Anthropogenic Climate Change.

But the whole anthropogenic aspect of CC is not proven scientifically. The raison-d-tre of the thesis - CO2 emissions causing rising temperature, is decisively false, as there is no geological evidence of CO2 rise leading to temperature rise, however the rise of temperature has a delayed onset effect of CO2 rise. 

• Upvote 1

What a bunch of lunatics in this thread..Bill Nye used to showcase crap I learned in gr 9 science class and Now he is a genius!..Just another puppet being told what to say.

Edited by nux4lyfe
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, flat land fish said:

That got a little dark I was mostly considering it from an angle of reproducing less and driving population down.  That’s probably a harder sell than getting people to quit using oil but realistically where things need to go if we care an iota about the planet.

We don't need to reproduce less or any such nonsense. We need to consume less and we need to demand product excellence that eschews the planned obsolescence model. Its crazy that nobody thinks about the cost to the planet when cars today can barely eke out 250,000 kms before dying while 30 years ago cars could make it to 750,000 kms or more if you took care of it. 

Western consumerism is the problem, not reproduction. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

We don't need to reproduce less or any such nonsense. We need to consume less and we need to demand product excellence that eschews the planned obsolescence model. Its crazy that nobody thinks about the cost to the planet when cars today can barely eke out 250,000 kms before dying while 30 years ago cars could make it to 750,000 kms or more if you took care of it. 

Western consumerism is the problem, not reproduction. 

So you think we can accomodate an infinite number of human beings on this planet?