Sign in to follow this  
Rob_Zepp

Is Ian Clark Jim Benning's Best FA Signing so Far?

Rate this topic

30 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Great insights Rob.  Nice to have a knowledgeable goaltender on the forum 

Yup, very much appreciated!

2 hours ago, nzan said:

Did everyone see Botchfords last article on The Arhletic? Someone posted it on here somewhere, it was spectacular and told a bunch of stuff I didn’t know about Ian Clark.

@Rob_Zepp what are your thoughts about Dipietro? I literally know less than nothing about how a comparatively smaller star goalie can expect his game to translate...

I posted it here: 

Great article. 

Had to post the whole thing (inside the spoiler), even though at the time I was breaking the paywall (which has since been removed).

Glad I said something nice about Botch in that post, since I wrote it only days before his passing.

As for the article, I particularly enjoyed the part where Hockey Canada went to the Swedes for tips on developing goalies, only to learn that Sweden had based their entire program off Clark’s writings.

• Hydration 4

I tend to think that signing Jake Kielly had something to do with Ian Clarke. Originally Kielly had chosen as an NCAA  FA to sign with another club but when it hit difficulties Kielly actually called JB to ask if they were still interested. You have to think why would he do that and I'm thinking the thought of being guided by a coach of the stature of Clarke had to be an important factor. Kielly has barely had high-level coaching so far so his chance to make the NHL really depends on him getting the best help he can get and it seems like Clarke rather than Vcr was his reasoning

• Hydration 1

13 hours ago, spook007 said:

Edited by spook007

I think another tell for Clarkies impact is not just how well Marky played, but how inconsistent Bobrovski's season was. He had a very up and down year where many had doubted his value going into the summer. Even in game 1 against Tampa, that first period he looked to have no confidence. Good on him for looking like himself the rest of the way, but Clark's departure probably had a significant impact on Bob.

• Upvote 1

On 5/16/2019 at 9:11 PM, Wanless said:

I look at these playoffs and see 3 teams that turned things around and made huge strides this season

The islanders the blues and the canes all have new coaches with little roster changes.

Signing Clark is similar those on a lesser scale and moves like such are the quickest way to improve a team.

But finding these coaches isn't always easy. Take bruce boudrou for example. Always has a great team in front of him but I don't think he ever made it passed the second round.

For that, being able to grab a goalie coach with a vezina trophy winning goalie under his guide is huge

How many european coches work in NHL? 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Timråfan said:

That's a really good question.  There are former NHL coaches that go to Europe and coach, then come back here.  I really can't think of a Euro NHL coach though.

Is there one?

I thought Krueger was German, but he's from the Peg.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

That's a really good question.  There are former NHL coaches that go to Europe and coach, then come back here.  I really can't think of a Euro NHL coach though.

Is there one?

I thought Krueger was German, but he's from the Peg.  

That's really strange... NHL vacuum every good player but not the vbest coaches. 

Just now, Timråfan said:

That's really strange... NHL vacuum every good player but not the vbest coaches. 

I agree.  I bet there are some very good coaches in Europe, who would make excellent NHL coaches.  It's only a matter of time before some start getting jobs here. 

• Hydration 1

3 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Not sure about assistant/associate or skills and such but I believe no head coaches are European 

On 5/16/2019 at 5:24 PM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Glad I said something nice about Botch in that post, since I wrote it only days before his passing.program off Clark’s writings.

Man I'm his post game Athletties.  

RIP Botch!  :canucks:

Lots of good material and discussion in this thread.... Well it's also a long summer lol!  Seriously though, as good as the FA signings have been and draft by benning this off season.  To me nothing is as exciting as the future of our goaltending. 

Is it just me or are we coming into a new era of lower save % due to the shrinking of the goalie equipment and increased skill of the shooters?  If so, it's even more important to have high end goalie prospects in the pipeline and a high end goalie coach.  Both of which this team has.  Another great move by Benning....

I'd say 2nd best after Ferland, reason being is that if anyone "runs" any of our said goalies, Ferkie will go ballistic, and i wouldn't want to be in the offenders shoes.

Same with petey and brock, thinking that teams won't be running our stars anymore but Ian for sure is my second pick