Sign in to follow this  
SuperJr

Caufield or Podkolzin

Rate this topic

This is becoming another draft page.  Please answer his question.  Caufield for me... elite goal scorers don't grow on trees.  I envision Elias to Cole highlights galore!  I'm not sure what Podkolzin will be based on his play this season... did he regress?  I'd rather pick a draft riser than a faller because current play is a better indicator of success I believe.  Size and Russian factor have zero sway with me.... talent, character and hockey sense are the main indicators for me.  Cole checks all three boxes.

12 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Neither.

Too many other non-Russian dwarfs available. 

Exactly.  Have these playoffs not shown people that you don't win with dwarfs? 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd prefer we go with free agency or trades for winger talent and draft the best defensemen possible in the 1st 2 rounds. 

Agreed.  JB has demonstrated how easy it is to acquire forwards vs defenceman in the open market and it's clear we still need to bolster the overall skill and depth on d.

• Hydration 1

10 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

I would pass on both and take Victor Soderstrom. Has Lidstrom type upside, plays mistake free hockey and projects as a top 4 RD

Who said that? Lidstrom was arguably the best defenceman of his generation I’d pump the brakes on those kinda comparisons. Soderstrom is nice but most scouts say he has top 4 maybe #2 potential.

At 10 just pick the best player available. 

1 hour ago, Sedintwinpowersactivate said:

This is becoming another draft page.  Please answer his question.  Caufield for me... elite goal scorers don't grow on trees.  I envision Elias to Cole highlights galore!  I'm not sure what Podkolzin will be based on his play this season... did he regress?  I'd rather pick a draft riser than a faller because current play is a better indicator of success I believe.  Size and Russian factor have zero sway with me.... talent, character and hockey sense are the main indicators for me.  Cole checks all three boxes.

Judging by these playoffs I find it hard to believe a duo of Petey and Caulfield would dominate in the playoffs. Petey is an incredible talent but he’s gonna need insulating when the going gets tough come playoff time in order for him to succeed. I doubt 5’6 Cole Caulfield is that guy. Someone like Matthew Tkachuk...

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Gnarcore said:

Exactly.  Have these playoffs not shown people that you don't win with dwarfs? 

I think in this new PC era the term Dwarf is “belittling”.  Gnome is the more appropriate term.  Gnomes are cute, and protect your garden from slugs.  :ph34r:

The Canucks grow a lot of their own veggies now.  Maybe a cute gnome is just what we need? 

2 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Judging by these playoffs I find it hard to believe a duo of Petey and Caulfield would dominate in the playoffs. Petey is an incredible talent but he’s gonna need insulating when the going gets tough come playoff time in order for him to succeed. I doubt 5’6 Cole Caulfield is that guy. Someone like Matthew Tkachuk...

Podkolzin does play with a lot of grit and determination.  

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Agreed.  JB has demonstrated how easy it is to acquire forwards vs defenceman in the open market and it's clear we still need to bolster the overall skill and depth on d.

Love JB, but how many forwards has he acquired on the open market with high-end skill/potential? Just want him to go for the home run with our 1st pick. If it's a miss, so be it. He's been able to find some other hidden gems after the 1st round. Just don't want a "safe pick" at 10.

1 hour ago, Pete M said:

Can pick Lafriener or Raymond next year if we are lucky...unless, the team makes the playoffs next year, which is 50/50.

This is why next season worries me. Let's say the team does well, but makes the playoffs. After watching the playoffs this year, the big hurdle is getting past the first round. 

If you can manage that things might actually get easier. But that also might mean and late round pick in 2020. I'm also worried the team won't stay the course. They might want to bring in UFA's in a bid to make sure they make the playoffs. I guess let the chips fall where they may? 

Yeah, I could see him creating a lot of space for Pete.  Brock would likely return to Bo's line, (Pearson  Bo  Boes) which would create 2 #1 lines.  I still think Baer would be terrific on Pete's left side; especially with the 'pitbull' on the right.

I definitely vote for Podk.

Tough to pick either really...

Caufield seems to be able to shoot from any angle fore or back hand... but that size... And will his shooting translate on goalies that don't lose their net?

Podkolzin looks decent and his work ethic sounds great. He challenges defense by skating right through them but again I worry how that will translate again NHL defense. MY biggest concern would be comments about not wanting to come to the NHL until he is ready, comments sound like he is not willing to take the junior/AHL route... Risky.

• Upvote 1

Caufield is a mini Boeser... we have the fullsize version.

Of course to Caufield! Dude is going to be an elite scorer. Pod is a hard pass from me. Russian, contract for 2 more years, why risk it?

Pod for me - we have tried the undersized shooters (don't need another Wellwood or Boucher and have Palmu and Manukyan in the system to meet our "gnome" quota)

• Haha 1

If it had to be one of the two I'd roll the dice on Podkolzin. Not sold on Caufield's size, the talent is there but that size.. 

Caufield probably isn't dropping to #10 (even given his size).  He had 115 goals this season.  Read that again:  he had 115 goals this year!  The other guys in the top-10 didn't have half as many.

At the World Juniors, he had 14 goals.  Second place (Hughes) had 9, third place had 6.

On the Under-18's he had 72 goals.  Second place (Hughes again) had 34.  Third had 33 and fourth had 27.

On the US Juniors, he had 29 goals.  Second place (Boldy) had 17.  Third place (Zegras) had 14.  

He was outscoring everyone in all the different leagues he played in - by a factor of at least 2 to 1.  If he was 6'3", he'd be going 1st overall.  Brett Hull was slow as $&!#, and he's still one of the top-5 goal-scorers of all time.  You don't pass up players who can score (a lot more than everyone else).

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Caufield probably isn't dropping to #10 (even given his size).  He had 115 goals this season.  Read that again:  he had 115 goals this year!  The other guys in the top-10 didn't have half as many.

At the World Juniors, he had 14 goals.  Second place (Hughes) had 9, third place had 6.

On the Under-18's he had 72 goals.  Second place (Hughes again) had 34.  Third had 33 and fourth had 27.

On the US Juniors, he had 29 goals.  Second place (Boldy) had 17.  Third place (Zegras) had 14.  

He was outscoring everyone in all the different leagues he played in - by a factor of at least 2 to 1.  If he was 6'3", he'd be going 1st overall.  Brett Hull was slow as $&!#, and he's still one of the top-5 goal-scorers of all time.  You don't pass up players who can score (a lot more than everyone else).

It is a tougher call than you suggest.  At that size, the scoring may not translate.  Enough scouts and experts are worried enough about it to have him chosen outside the top 5 regardless of his junior scoring.

Is he going to be hurt large portions of seasons?  Is his career going. To be shortened by mileage of much bigger guys punishing him repeatedly.

Players like Debrinkat are the exception and stand out because of it.   

Doesn't matter, neither will be around at 10 imo. If I had to choose I pick Podkolzin. If his intangibles are half as good as the scouting reports say he'll be a playoff performer. Other than Button's knee jerk reaction to whatever tourney Podkolzin struggled in recently most everyone says he has top 3 talent/potential. 

• Haha 1