The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal/Discussion] Hughes to NJD

I know none of you want this to happen, but I am very interested in this situation as I think it is very possible it does happen. Is Hischier + a defenseman like Vatanen enough to get this deal done? 

Hischier is a huge loss to the Devils core, but they add J. Hughes to replace him AND get who appears to be a stud, Q. Hughes in return as well. Vatanen is 27, but has played some of his best hockey in the West. Pettersson-Hischier-Boeser has potential to be absolutely disgusting. 

Idk, I'm just spit-balling. Maybe it isn't enough, maybe it takes Hischier+Butcher to get it done. Which I personally think the Devils say hell no to that, but the chance to have two brothers that are projected to be allstars doesn't come along often. 

Opinions? 

Pretty sure there is a thread from HinduSmyl already made about this.  It all depends on what we get back, if it’s a good deal take it, if not keep Q Hughes. 

Edit:  Also NJ would view both these deals as an overpayment.   First overall and a good journeyman defenseman for a guy who’s only played a few games in the NHL would be a hard sell for their fans.

Edited by IBatch

Stay the course,  build through the draft.   Keep our core (including QH43) & picks. 

Anyone suggesting JB is going entertain trading Hughes forgets how thrilled he was to be able to pick the kid last year. 

He's literally building a team around Hughes/Elias. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, sonoman said:

We FINALLY draft a potential franchise D man and people want to trade him before he’s even played a season here.  No. 

Do I WANT to trade him, FU*K NO I DONT. BUT, the Devils definitely are attracted to adding him and J. Hughes! 

11 minutes ago, Dombrova22 said:

Do I WANT to trade him, FU*K NO I DONT. BUT, the Devils definitely are attracted to adding him and J. Hughes! 

Not at the cost of Hischier.  Taylor Hall believes Hischier was a key factor in him winning the Hart.  They are trying to extend him - they trade Hischier and that chance is all but gone.

I also doubt they'd want both brothers - seems to create more issues than anything else.

Edited by mll

11 minutes ago, Dombrova22 said:

Yeah, I feel the same way.  If JB were to do a trade, I would hope he would acquire Hischier and Butcher.  Keep Butcher and immediately trade Hischier + Tanev (50% retained)  for Trouba (guarantee signing).

I really doubt JB would trade Hughes though and I probably wouldn't either.

• Upvote 1

Just now, higgyfan said:

Yeah, I feel the same way.  If JB were to do a trade, I would hope he would acquire Hischier and Butcher.  Keep Butcher and immediately trade Hischier + Tanev (50% retained)  for Trouba (guarantee signing).

I really doubt JB would trade Hughes though and I probably wouldn't either.

NJD is certainly not trading Hischier.  He is being seriously undervalued here.  

1 minute ago, mll said:

NJD is certainly not trading Hischier.  He is being seriously undervalued here.  

True but if they want the highly saleable Franchise Hughes Bros, they will have to overpay. Why would JB even attempt to trade Quinn otherwise.  He's awful high on the kid, that's for sure.

• Upvote 1

Put aside the passionate-fandom for a moment, & view it logically. The team that drafts Jack has the upper hand in uniting the bros(because top-2 picks are ludicrously exorbitant to buy).

Then consider we got this great young D in the #7 slot. Canucks have never had this type of skater, back on the line.

So the obvious question becomes, What does an overpayment(which it would take, for us to budge) look like? I'd say both the Devs & Rags have young assets that would be tempting(if stacked up, for one guy). How far would they go?(an interesting question)

4 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

True but if they want the highly saleable Franchise Hughes Bros, they will have to overpay. Why would JB even attempt to trade Quinn otherwise.  He's awful high on the kid, that's for sure.

Why would NJD want that though?  Seems more like a source of problem.    

Hischier is huge in NJD.  It's not just on ice, but personality and also all the intangibles - he embodies the culture they are trying to built.  He has already been wearing the A at times for them.  He's turning into a legit C1 - he's not sheltered and already plays in all situations.   

12 minutes ago, mll said:

Hischier is huge in NJD.  It's not just on ice, but personality and also all the intangibles - he embodies the culture they are trying to built.  He has already been wearing the A at times for them.  He's turning into a legit C1 - he's not sheltered and already plays in all situations.   

I think you're correct, there's no way they move NH. And he'd be the only guy on NJD that I think Jim would ever consider for Hughes. Non-starter. 

Sorry pal...     getout.jpg.fd5ce2db6830eda8b5052363e8aa9280.jpg     :)

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, 6string said:

Sorry pal...     getout.jpg.fd5ce2db6830eda8b5052363e8aa9280.jpg     :)

Hey, ain't that the price for freedom?

• Haha 1

Why on God’s Green Earth would we even contemplate trading Hughes? Benning himself personally told Quinn he’d take him if he was there at 7 so that alone should quell any trade talk. 

Edited by Pears
  • Upvote 2