The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] You Are the GM

1) Get rid of SUTTER, take whatever we get for him. I would take a 4th, even a 5th round pick

3) Resign BROCK as early as possible. 7 years 7.25M

4) Sign EDLER but WITHOUT a NTC. 2 years 5.75M

5) Sign Anders LEE 5 years 7M

6) Pick at 10: One of Dach, Cozens, Caufield, Turcotte, Boldy, Zegras, Broberg

7) 19/20

Top6

Pearson/Leivo Petey Boeser

Lee Horvat Virtanen

Top 4

Edler Stecher

Hughes Tanev

• Upvote 1

On 5/20/2019 at 12:06 AM, janisahockeynut said:

Attempt #2...…………………...…….Excess cap at this moment $32,683,000

UFA signings...…….

Panarin…….…LW...…...……...27 years old...……6 years @ 10.0 Million per 

Ferland……….LW/RW...……...27 years old..........4 years @ 5.0 Million per

Trades...……..

Baertschi ………………….LW...…………...for...…….2019 2nd  Carolina is in need of a LWers, we have many, Baertschi has Offense

Sutter...……......……….....C/RW...………...for...…….Florida's 2019 2nd Round pick from Pittsburgh     Florida is in need of Defensive help, at center and wing. 

Future Considerations...…LW/RW...……....for...…….Ottawa's 2019 2nd Round pick from Florida (Eriksson after the 4 Million bonus is paid)

Tanev ………...…………...RHD...……….....for...…….Toronto's 2019 2nd + 2019 4th

Vancouver's 2021 1st …………………….…for...……. Vegas's David. Clarkson + 2019 1st (17 OA)

Biega + 2020 2nd + Mike DiPietro...…….…for...……..Vegas's RHD Colin Miller

RFA and UFA signings...….(Own team)

Edler...………..LHD...……...3 years at 5.5 Million per...………...NTC in 1st year, Limited NTC in 2nd year, and none in 3rd year (6 team Limited NTC..Edlers list)

Tryamkin...…...RHD...……..2 years at 4.0 Million per...………...Show me contract....tradable in both years....hope he resigns, and we don't trade him at the end

Boeser………..RW...…...….8 years at 7.0 Million per...………..Hey, lock up your stars, in 8 years that 7.0 Million is going to look real cheap

Motte...……….RW/C/LW.....2 years at 1.2 Million per................2 way contracts

Leivo................LW................2 years at 1.2 Million per................2 way contracts

Goldobin...…...LW...………...1 yaer at 1.0 Million per...…………2 way contracts

Cap Space at 32.7 plus 18.5 Million out in trades = 51.2 Million for signings.

Signings = 34.9.+ Colin Miller 3.9 Million = 38.8

Remaining Cap space 12.4 Million in reserve for 2020 season. (Pettersson and Hughes)

Line Up

Panarin      Pettersson        Boeser

Persson       Horvat             Ferland                      Granlund/Schaller/Goldobin

Rousel        Gaudette          Virtanen

Leivo           Beagle             MacEwen

Hughes           Tryamkin

Edler               Miller                                      Juolevi/Brisebois/Saunter

Hutton            Skecher

Markstrom                                              Bachman/Kielly

Demko

2019 Picks

Van 2019 1st (10th OA)…………….Boldy or Krebs or Podkolzin

Vegas 2019 1st (17th OA)………….Seider or Soderstrom  RHD

Van 2019 2nd (40th OA)……...…….Korczak  RHD

Florida 2019 2nd (52nd OA)………..Goalie

Toronto 2019 2nd (53rd OA)………..BPA

Carolina 2019 2nd (59th OA)……….BPA

Van 2019 3rd (71st OA)……………..BPA

Explosive 1st line

Heavy 2nd line

Aggressive 3rd line

Big 4th line

Defense is much quicker, faster, and generally bigger

Goaltending is solid

On 5/20/2019 at 5:23 PM, Hindustan Smyl said:

Goal for the summer:  Solidify the forward group for both short term and long term.  Find a top line LW’er + good 2nd line RW’er.

1) Sign Ryan Dzingel:  He’ll be a good fit on the top line with Boeser and Pettersson and won’t cost an arm and a leg like Panarin.  

2) 10th overall for William Nylander.  Leafs get cap space.  Canucks gain a long term asset.

3) Eriksson + Schaller to Ottawa (zero retention) for a draft pick.

4) Gaudette or Madden for a young promising RD prospect

Dzingel-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Nylander

[Baertschi/Goldobin]-Sutter-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Motte

Baertschi/Goldobin

Edler-Tanev

Hutton-Stecher

Hughes-[GaudetteORMaddenEquivalent]

Sautner, Schenn

Markstrom

Demko

I’ll post more thoughts later (will re-edit this post), but this is what I have for now).

Updated.

I removed my Gaudette for Wilde trade since the Islanders would decline.   Instead, I replaced it with “Gaudette or Madden for a young defensive equivalent.”

It would suck to lose Madden, but I think Madden would land a very good RHD defensive prospect.  As to whom that would be, I’m not sure.

Sign Karlsson. He is the only FA you notice everytime he is on the ice...even when playing hurt he stands out. Trades and drafts are out of my control. Depends on who falls to me in the draft and who is willing to give up something to get something. I wouldn't make a trade from  weakness...for example Sutter's value is at an all time low so I wouldn't trade him unless its a good offer...which its unlikely to be. As for Eriksson...minors. Call him up only if he shows desire and intensity

Edited by bassetgreg

• 2 weeks later...

An aggressive push:

This won't happen obviously, but I do wonder how the following team would do in terms of

1) The Short term

2) The Long term

3) Managing their cap

Trades and Signings:

1) 10th overall for William Nylander

2) Sign Panarin.  10.5 x 7

3) Brock Boeser for Matthew Dumba.   (Minnesota adds to make the deal fair?   I honestly don't know how to guage valuation here).

4) Move Sutter, Schaller, and Eriksson to Ottawa and/or other teams to clear cap space.   

Line-up:

Panarin-Pettersson-Nylander

Pearson-Horvat-Virtanen

Baertschi-Gaudette-Goldobin

Roussel-Beagle-Leivo

Edler-Dumba

Hughes-Tanev

Hutton-Stecher

Markstrom

Demko

Questions:  

Now obviously, the above won't happen in a million years, but I am curious as to the following:

1) Would the above team be a 2nd round calibre playoff team for the 2019-2020 season?

2) What would this team's "window" be?

3) Would the above team still be able to avert future cap complications to a large degree?

Edited by Hindustan Smyl

Frankly, high end assets are always scarce, and will be even more scarce after an expansion draft. On the other hand, between the TV rights being renegotiated and the addition of a franchise, I can see the cap going way up. On that basis, I think you acquire as many high end assets as you can on long-term contracts. I'd swing for both Karlsson and Panarin, and I don't even like Panarin. I doubt we land either, but if I had a choice, I would take Karlsson in a heartbeat. Norris calibre defensemen are incredibly hard to come by. I'd also swing on any and all of Nelson, Lee, Dzingel, Hayes, Duchene. . . anyone who you have good reason to believe can be effective for the next six years and is an upgrade on what you've got. Contracts in the 6M+ range will be almost average contracts in 2-3 years. If you have an above-average player, you have a marketable asset at that point. I definitely sign Boeser to the longest deal I reasonably can and I'm good with anywhere in the 7-7.5M range. I trade second and third rounders for serviceable upgrades to our third and fourth lines if they have term, like a Colin Miller. I think this is a rare time where you maximise value by being a big spender in free agency. I'm not even concerned about signing too many and being unable to protect them all in the expansion - protect the best and if you lose one or two, so be it. I wouldn't approach expansion by only investing in the number of players I know I can protect. 

On 6/7/2019 at 9:36 PM, Hindustan Smyl said:

An aggressive push:

This won't happen obviously, but I do wonder how the following team would do in terms of

1) The Short term

2) The Long term

3) Managing their cap

Trades and Signings:

1) 10th overall for William Nylander

2) Sign Panarin.  10.5 x 7

3) Brock Boeser for Matthew Dumba.   (Minnesota adds to make the deal fair?   I honestly don't know how to guage valuation here).

4) Move Sutter, Schaller, and Eriksson to Ottawa and/or other teams to clear cap space.   

Line-up:

Panarin-Pettersson-Nylander

Pearson-Horvat-Virtanen

Baertschi-Gaudette-Goldobin

Roussel-Beagle-Leivo

Edler-Dumba

Hughes-Tanev

Hutton-Stecher

Markstrom

Demko

Questions:  

Now obviously, the above won't happen in a million years, but I am curious as to the following:

1) Would the above team be a 2nd round calibre playoff team for the 2019-2020 season?

2) What would this team's "window" be?

3) Would the above team still be able to avert future cap complications to a large degree?

Hell no we trade for nylander and trade brock. This should not happen.

1) Free Agent targets - Kevin Hayes, Michael Ferland. It would likely take a 6x6 to get Hayes; Ferland might be available on a 5x5. Just one of them. I would prefer Hayes, but Ferland could be a decent 2nd option

2) Trade target - Colin Miller. Assets used to obtain him; Hutton, Lind, #71 this year. LVK gets a young D, still improving some, decent size, not going to be too costly for when they need the money. They also get a decent draft pick and a young B+ (at least) prospect. We solidify the R side of the D

3) Tradable assets - (from Vancouver) Hutton (spoken for), Tanev, Schaller, Granlund, Goldobin, Sutter. For that group, and if only draft picks, I wouldn't expect much more than a 2nd, a 3rd, a 4th, and a couple bags of pucks, in total.

4) RFA - resign Motte (two way deal, around 2y x .925), Leivo (2y x 1.75), Boeser (6y x 7.5)

5) at the 10 spot, draft Kerfoot, or if available, Boldy. Use Tanev, Goldobin and 2020 2nd, trade with a team around 17-20 (if 20th, maybe get a 4th/5th back also) and draft Seider.

Edler throws a loop into this whole thing, though. I would like to see him back, call it a 4yr deal, declining money (5, 5, 4, 3) and an NMC in the first 2 years ONLY. He and his agent have got to get convinced that the team will have players that are a much more enticing grab, by then, in the entry draft than a 35-36 year old D-man with some injury issues. I mean, using the same rules as Vegas got, let's say we get expected development from our depth. By 2021, we will protect 8 skaters and a goalie: Petersson, Horvat, Boeser, Hughes, Juolevi, Stetcher, Gaudette, Virtanen and Demko. That leaves: Leivo, Markstrom, Pearson, Baertschi, Edler, Miller and Hayes/Ferland (the last three, depending on if they get NMCs or not). I don't see any good GM taking Edler over, say, Markstrom or Leivo, or if the signees did get NMCs, Virt and/or Gaudette. Not at that age. If Edler balks at that, then he can walk, sad to say. If he walks, we may have to rethink the Hutton trade.

This leaves:

Hayes - Petersson - Boeser

Baer - Bo - Pearson

Eriksson - Gaudette - Virt

McEwen - Beagle - Leivo (I think McEwen makes the team this year)

Motte, Rousell (when he comes back from injury

Edler - Stetch

Hughes - Schenn

Sautner - Miller

Brisebois, Beiga (Woo, maybe by end of year, Tryamkin maybe also? if the KHL season ends early enough)

Markstrom - Demko

This team would have good to pretty good speed, good size (I wouldn't see too many teams really wanting to tangle with the combo of Virt/McEwen/Rousell/Schenn), and the D is overall a decent upgrade on mobility from last year.

I'm not a cap genius, but I think we would have around 7-10M left after this. The Luongo recapture penalty is a sword hanging over our heads, until that contract is finished; I really hope he does backup duty next year, then takes LTIR for the last two years. Petersson is probably going to be Vancouver's first 10M+ player, when he resigns.

Edited by Father Ryan
  • Upvote 1

1) Walk away from Edler

2) Sign Gardiner and Myers

3) Hutton, Tanev, and Stecher get moved for forwards once guys like Juolevi, Tryamkin, and Woo are ready to step in.

Goldobin-Pettersson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Sutter

Baertschi-Gaudette-Virtanen

Roussel-Beagle-Eriksson

Leivo

Gardiner-Tanev

Hughes-Myers

Hutton-Stecher

Schenn

Markstrom

Demko