The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Erik Karlsson - the all encompassing Free Agency Thread

1 hour ago, erkayloomeh said:

They said on the NHL network that EK wife wants to live in Ottawa .

I hope that’s not true.

His wife would love our city a hell of a lot better!

EK can buy his wife’s family a nice house out here when he cashes in his 8 figure salary. 

Edited by grandmaster

1 hour ago, teepain said:

Maybe he said this , so ottawa fans wont hate him as much. Even if he got an offer , doubt he goes back

Doubt Ottawa makes an offer.  They are rebuilding and don't want to pay more than necessary until they have to.

14 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Not likely but do you think Karlsson would consider a 2-3 year 14m per year Sundin like contract.  Typically players want the security for the unforeseen but everyone is different.  We can ride some entry levels in that window to compensate.

Being that that would be almost $30m less than his likely 7 year X +/- $10m he's going to see....probably not, no.

$14 X 5 years and you'd likely get him pondering though (being equal $ in a shorter term and more up front to invest sooner). Might even be able to get him at $13'ish doing that.

• Like 1

Just finished watching the boys on Sportsnet debate this guy (Doug McLean, etc). The panel was in agreement that he is damaged goods and scares any GM signing him to term. 

People have to realize he is only 29 and the surgery was stated to be successful. Given that he is still relatively young and lots of time to rehab, I would like to think that he wouldn’t be a risk.

Canucks have never had an elite defenceman and have been in need of this for too long. These opportunities are extremely rare. I would sign him for the 7 years with confidence.

33 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Just finished watching the boys on Sportsnet debate this guy (Doug McLean, etc). The panel was in agreement that he is damaged goods and scares any GM signing him to term. 

People have to realize he is only 29 and the surgery was stated to be successful. Given that he is still relatively young and lots of time to rehab, I would like to think that he wouldn’t be a risk.

Canucks have never had an elite defenceman and have been in need of this for too long. These opportunities are extremely rare. I would sign him for the 7 years with confidence.

The biggest thing that would scare me with Karlsson is not the injuries or age it's the rumours I've read, he's very much a 'relies on natural god-given talent/naturally elite athleticism' and isn't a terribly committed/hard worker.

A guy like Crosby has both and that's why he's still the best player in the game. Natural ability/athleticism starts to break down more and more with age. Particularly if you're not extreme in your dedication to maintain it with training, diet etc.

Some guys do however figure it out late and become extremely hard workers when they start to see their career fade before their eyes. And Karlsson could certainly be one of those guys. He also might not and become a boat anchor a few years in to his deal.

That natural god given, top 5 D talent sure is mighty tempting though. I'll give you that ;) 

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

On 6/4/2019 at 9:15 PM, grandmaster said:

I hope that’s not true.

His wife would love our city a hell of a lot better!

EK can buy his wife’s family a nice house out here when he cashes in his 8 figure salary. 

If his wife wants to be closer to home why would he sign a long term deal in a city that's geographically just as far as the one he's currently living in? There's a reason why Karlsson publicly stated he hopes Montreal or Ottawa put forth good offers. If its feasible he would prefer to sign a deal in or a city closer to Ottawa.

6 minutes ago, Pickly said:

If his wife wants to be closer to home why would he sign a long term deal in a city that's geographically just as far as the one he's currently living in? There's a reason why Karlsson publicly stated he hopes Montreal or Ottawa put forth good offers. If its feasible he would prefer to sign a deal in or a city closer to Ottawa.

Hey TO, sign Karlsson and move Marner... DO IT!  JUST DO IT!

28 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Did you miss my point about him buying her family a house out here? 

16 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Why does that matter? Maybe her family has been in the Ottawa area for 50 years and has roots there and don't want to pack up their lives and move 4000km to the west coast. Vancouver isn't the end all be all of places to live. 

19 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Why does that matter? Maybe her family has been in the Ottawa area for 50 years and has roots there and don't want to pack up their lives and move 4000km to the west coast. Vancouver isn't the end all be all of places to live. 

I’m sure these “roots” would be pulled if EK gets her parents a nice place with a million dollar view. 

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

I’m sure these “roots” would be pulled if EK gets her parents a nice place with a million dollar view. 

Maybe. But it's so much easier to just sign a big contract closer to the east so you wouldn't have to uproot a family.

2 hours ago, grandmaster said:

It's not that simple. The family has to WANT to live out here too. It's not just a matter of buying a house. EK could buy them a house in San Jose too, or wherever else.

At any rate, I doubt these rumours are entirely true. For all we know, her family could have been interviewed by the Ottawa press and her mom or something could have been like "I miss her". Cue the press! Wife wants back! :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

For the record, as much as I'd want EK, it's going to cost us 10mil, maybe 11mil a season. I hope you guys realise that. There will be multiple teams in on Karlsson and we'd have to beat out all of them to get him.

Not only that, if he continues to be injury prone, we may end up in a bad contract. Be cautious about this.

• Cheers 1