The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Erik Karlsson - the all encompassing Free Agency Thread

I don't believe the rumours about a unite with Henrik Lundqvist in NYR, King Henrik is pretty much done and also the Rangers are a few years away from contending anyway. Tampa makes sense and is a fit but maybe not cap wise. Columbus would be a great fit but I think EK is a bit too flashy to like neither the city nor their style of play.

The injury concerns are valid of course, but I still feel that without any indications of injury that can be traced to the ankle and seeing what he did in the playoffs when he could hardly skate at all it's hard not to be intrigued...

• Upvote 1

Here is a list of upcoming years of prime age UFA D

2020-21

Brenden Dillon - SJ

TJ Brodie - Cal

Torey Krug - Bos

Jared Spurgeon - Min

Tyson Barrie - Col

Sami Vaatanen - NJ

Justin Faulk - Car

2021-22

Adam Larsson - Edm

Alex Pietrangelo - StL

Roman Josi - Nash

Dougie Hamilton - Car

2022-23

John Klingberg - Dal

Colin Miller - Vegas

Rasmus Ristolainen - Buf

Seth Jones - BJs

Morgan Reilly - Tor

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

How many players can people name that got 'healthier' as their careers got longer after having lengthy injury histories? 

How many players can people name that hit UFA and actually played up to the full level of their contracts through to the end of the contract? 

These are my concerns. 

Gary Roberts might've been this rare unicorn you're looking for? But indeed, you don't bank 10+ mill deals upon such risk.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I'd love to see EK with us.  I doubt it though.  If we did somehow get him, then we need to keep both Edler and Tanev.  EK needs to play way less minutes, and way less D zone starts than he did with the Sharks.  If we could shelter his minutes, I think he could stay healthy.  Then, do we want to spend those kinds of dollars on a D man that needs sheltered minutes?  Like him for sure, but would be concerned about his health.  

Well I think he could be sheltered a bit so he doesn't get overworked. But him taking on 20-22 minutes instead of his normal 24-25 will do wonders for the rest of our defense as it should put the rest of the defense in more normal minutes and maybe have less injuries themselves. As EK gets healthier from taking on lesser minutes, he can gradually up his minutes and especially during the playoffs assuming we would get back there with a player of his calibre. This takes some pressure off Hughes to carry the offensive workload at such a young age, but also will give him opportunities to run the show if EK does go down or needs some maintenance time.

So EK will surely need to be "maintained", but it's only to try to get him back on track health-wise so he can return to his normal play which will be well worth the dollars.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Rangers, Lightning, Vegas, Vancouver have all been notably linked to him over the past year or so

You mean mentioned here on CDC? I don't recall any real discussion in the media about Karlsson coming here. In fact, I believe he even said before leaving OTT that he doesn't want to play in Canada. That, I believe. Yet, some people keep trying to bring him here lol  Can't force the guy, sheesh.

Besides, his best days are behind him, he's overpriced and obviously couldn't get 'er done on a great Sharks team. No thanks.

8 yrs 88mill  11 mill per yr  29-37 

trade tanev sutter  half of louie eriksson contract for picks  frees  the cap space

resign edler 

get the russian kid back

d corp going forward

edler karlsson

hughes tryamkin 

juolevi stecher 

brisebois schenn 

draft 2 of soderstrom and broberg or seider   slowly develop them in  ahl 

yes please  gives ton of cap to resign boeser and petersson when etc contracts up

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Well I think he could be sheltered a bit so he doesn't get overworked. But him taking on 20-22 minutes instead of his normal 24-25 will do wonders for the rest of our defense as it should put the rest of the defense in more normal minutes and maybe have less injuries themselves. As EK gets healthier from taking on lesser minutes, he can gradually up his minutes and especially during the playoffs assuming we would get back there with a player of his calibre. This takes some pressure off Hughes to carry the offensive workload at such a young age, but also will give him opportunities to run the show if EK does go down or needs some maintenance time.

So EK will surely need to be "maintained", but it's only to try to get him back on track health-wise so he can return to his normal play which will be well worth the dollars.

I like your ideas.  What about, if we are so blessed to get EK, we give him some games off during the year too?  

We would probably have to overpay, and his value has dropped somewhat.

If he wanted to sign here for 5-6 years, $9 million per. and no trade protection after the first 3 years... then it is a no brainer to sign him.

7 years at $11 million... no thanks.

We are better off taking on cap from a team like Tampa who will be trying to free up space.  There will be a bunch of teams trying to do it, so the cap space would be at a premium.

For Tampa, Tanev at 50% retained any of our cheap bottom end forwards and  Virtanen would have value if it meant they could free up space.

Callahan is easy to swallow as he only has a year left.  J.T. Miller and Tyler Johnson are pretty good top 6 guys for us.  Foote is probably the future we would want.

Some combination of those prices could turn into a deal.

Edited by Provost

So, is Erik Karlsson damaged goods? Not according to Brian Burke. Skip to 2:48.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/point-injuries-shouldnt-haunt-erik-karlsson-free-agency/

That said, I still wouldn't want either the dollars or the term involved in bringing him to Vancouver. Won't matter much anyway as I think he wants to play in Tampa with his buddy Victor Hedman and on a team that SHOULD have gone all the way in the playoffs.

Just now, canuktravella said:

8 yrs 88mill  11 mill per yr  29-37 

trade tanev sutter  half of louie eriksson contract for picks  frees  the cap space

resign edler 

get the russian kid back

d corp going forward

edler karlsson

hughes tryamkin 

juolevi stecher 

brisebois schenn 

draft 2 of soderstrom and broberg or seider   slowly develop them in  ahl 

yes please  gives ton of cap to resign boeser and petersson when etc contracts up

We would have to trade for EK's rights to sign him to an 8 year deal.  What would we give up for that?  

Just now, Curmudgeon said:

So, is Erik Karlsson damaged goods? Not according to Brian Burke. Skip to 2:48.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/point-injuries-shouldnt-haunt-erik-karlsson-free-agency/

That said, I still wouldn't want either the dollars or the term involved in bringing him to Vancouver. Won't matter much anyway as I think he wants to play in Tampa with his buddy Victor Hedman and on a team that SHOULD have gone all the way in the playoffs.

How could the Lightning afford both Hedman and EK though?  They would have to dump some pretty good players for basically peanuts to get room for EK.  

7 minutes ago, xereau said:

Here is a list of upcoming years of prime age UFA D

2020-21

Brenden Dillon - SJ

TJ Brodie - Cal

Torey Krug - Bos

Jared Spurgeon - Min

Tyson Barrie - Col

Sami Vaatanen - NJ

Justin Faulk - Car

2021-22

Adam Larsson - Edm

Alex Pietrangelo - StL

Roman Josi - Nash

Dougie Hamilton - Car

2022-23

John Klingberg - Dal

Colin Miller - Vegas

Rasmus Ristolainen - Buf

Seth Jones - BJs

Morgan Reilly - Tor

How many of those guys are Karlsson level? How many will actually hit UFA? How many will be traded before UFA and sign with their new team? It's is very unlikely that the top guys here will even hit UFA.

EK has really only gotten to this point because of his situation in Ottawa otherwise he may have very well just stayed there long term. Another example is someone like Tavares where if NYI had done something much earlier to make try to be a real team, then he would've stayed there. It's not often the big fish hit the market that easily.

Of that list, Seth Jones and John Klingberg are really the only guys closest to EK level. The rest are certainly a step or two or even more below.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

This could wind up as Loui on steroids.. no way.

Finally getting the books in order. Patience is required, as we watch a great new core rise up.

Paying near max % for top players is the norm now in the modern NHL so there’s no real ‘overpaying’ them. Eriksson was an overpay from the get go and a complete blunder. He was barely a 2nd liner and already declining. 

...and let’s not get stuck on this notion that you don’t add externally. No team ever just builds from within. Adding from the outside is needed whether it be trades or FA and fixes problems that your team wasn’t able to address by itself. There’s a reason why JB was interested in Subban and Karlsson when they were available for trade. Look at what Ehrhoff did for us in our golden years when he was acquired and he’s half the player Karlsson is so enough of this misconception that you don’t add pieces from the outside...

38 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

How many players can people name that got 'healthier' as their careers got longer after having lengthy injury histories? 

How many players can people name that hit UFA and actually played up to the full level of their contracts through to the end of the contract? 

These are my concerns. 

Donald Trump? Apparently he is in peak physical shape...

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I like your ideas.  What about, if we are so blessed to get EK, we give him some games off during the year too?  

Precisely what I meant in the op AKA The Kawhi treatment.

Wait till he’s fully healthy. Play him but on less minutes than he usually averages. Sit him out on back-to-back’s. Plan being, all leading up for him to be as healthy as possible for the playoffs towards the end of the regular season where it matters most.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If he's willing (many players want to play and make a difference for their team if they can), and if the team can afford to do so, then I'm certainly up for that idea if it keeps him fresh. We don't need to be #1 in the regular season as we saw this year, we just need to make the playoffs and make sure EK is healthy when we get there. EK on one leg is a warrior in the playoffs, I can only wonder what a healthy EK can do.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

How many of those guys are Karlsson level? How many will actually hit UFA? How many will be traded before UFA and sign with their new team? It's is very unlikely that the top guys here will even hit UFA.

EK has really only gotten to this point because of his situation in Ottawa otherwise he may have very well just stayed there long term. Another example is someone like Tavares where if NYI had done something much earlier to make try to be a real team, then he would've stayed there. It's not often the big fish hit the market that easily.

Of that list, Seth Jones and John Klingberg are really the only guys closest to EK level. The rest are certainly a step or two or even more below.

I'd include Pietrangelo.  He's a helluva player.

Oh and Larsson too because he was traded for Taylor Hall :P

Edited by HKSR
  • Haha 1