Roman Josi - Nash

Dougie Hamilton - Car

2022-23

John Klingberg - Dal

Colin Miller - Vegas

Rasmus Ristolainen - Buf

Seth Jones - BJs

Morgan Reilly - Tor

Imagine comparing majority of those guys to Karlsson. You might as well include Myers from this year’s free agency class with some of the guys mentioned there...

In fact, none of them are on his level even as close as Jones, Klingberg, Josi, Pietrangelo get to him. And even then, it doesn’t make any sense because we can’t look into the future and tell if they’ll even hit Free Agency. What we know is Karlsson is about to reach that mark now and it rarely ever happens, a dman of his calibre being there for grabs.

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'd include Pietrangelo.  He's a helluva player.

Oh and Larsson too because he was traded for Taylor Hall :P

Pietrangelo is an excellent player indeed, but he's one of those step below guys for me. He's only really topped out at under 55 points. He's more physical and has different elements to his game, but I wouldn't put him quite so high. He will be 31 I believe if and when he does hit UFA as well, so buying 7 years of him as a UFA (taking him to 38) could still be as much of a risk as taking EK at 7 years until he's 36.

But yes how could I forget Larsson. Edmonton will surely give him McDavid dollars before he hits UFA though.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Paying near max % for top players is the norm now in the modern NHL so there’s no real ‘overpaying’ them. Eriksson was an overpay from the get go and a complete blunder. He was barely a 2nd liner and already declining. 

...and let’s not get stuck on this notion that you don’t add externally. No team ever just builds from within. Adding from the outside is needed whether it be trades or FA and fixes problems that your team wasn’t able to address by itself. There’s a reason why JB was interested in Subban and Karlsson when they were available for trade. Look at what Ehrhoff did for us in our golden years when he was acquired and he’s half the player Karlsson is so enough of this misconception that you don’t add pieces from the outside...

Call me conservative here, that may well be true. You're a good poster, & your opinion might be the way to go. We've just had too much hard luck with injuries, & it seems the league allows a lot of crap vs our key guys. I guess EK is a smart cookie, & knows he'll fare better out east, somewhere.

Until the Lu-joke(recapture) is absolutely determined, I'd like to Van them maintain about 5 mill open cap, anyways. Teams like the Canes & Avs have proven you can go far, despite only spending around 60 mill.

It's a Helluva' lot easier to make deals when YOU have all the AAV space. Funny those teams seem to receive the late picks thrown in, not be the ones doing it.

This is a time to consolidate, & build a wide base of excellent youth. In 2 or 3 yrs I hope we spend near the cap-ceiling.

• Cheers 1

I know I'll get ripped for this, but I also know there's lots of people out there who feel the same.

There are a lot of good UFA's this year, and every single one will make this team better. Everyone can analyse to the 10th degree.... but for me... i just want this team to make a splash. Sign someone, make a statement, be a personality, give me something to talk about. Lots of other teams do it and it works out well. Karlson, Myers, Trouba, Panarin, Duchene, Subban. These guys would all make us better. I'll be happy with any of them. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How could the Lightning afford both Hedman and EK though?  They would have to dump some pretty good players for basically peanuts to get room for EK.  

Good point, Alf. I have, however, heard the Lightning are looking to move some salary in the form of Tyler Johnson ($5 mil) and JT Miller ($5.25). They also have three defencemen who will become UFAs on July 1 (Coburn, Girardi and Stralman) so they are clearly looking for defence. I guess if GM Brisebois really wants to, he could make Karlsson work, but you are correct in that you can't add expensive pieces without removing expensive pieces. 

1 minute ago, JayDangles said:

I know I'll get ripped for this, but I also know there's lots of people out there who feel the same.

There are a lot of good UFA's this year, and every single one will make this team better. Everyone can analyse to the 10th degree.... but for me... i just want this team to make a splash. Sign someone, make a statement, be a personality, give me something to talk about. Lots of other teams do it and it works out well. Karlson, Myers, Trouba, Panarin, Duchene, Subban. These guys would all make us better. I'll be happy with any of them. 

I get what you’re saying. However, I wouldn’t want to get someone just for the sake of getting someone.

I want quality and much rather prefer we pay up for a world class guy than another Eriksson contract to a guy like Myers for instance. 

At the end of the day, quality>quantity especially when the quantity costs a lot these days too. May as well try and add another 25%-50% on top of what they would get to go after the big fish. A loonie is better than having 4 quarters ;) 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Call me conservative here, that may well be true. You're a good poster, & your opinion might be the way to go. We've just had too much hard luck with injuries, & it seems the league allows a lot of crap vs our key guys. I guess EK is a smart cookie, & knows he'll fare better out east, somewhere.

Until the Lu-joke(recapture) is absolutely determined, I'd like to Van them maintain about 5 mill open cap, anyways. Teams like the Canes & Avs have proven you can go far, despite only spending around 60 mill.

It's a Helluva' lot easier to make deals when YOU have all the AAV space. Funny those teams seem to receive the late picks thrown in, not be the ones doing it.

This is a time to consolidate, & build a wide base of excellent youth. In 2 or 3 yrs I hope we spend near the cap-ceiling.

Canes and Avs have also had the luxury of winning top 3 picks. That won't be happening for us, so might as well try a different avenue. Our owner is willing to spend to build a winner and we have a fanbase that seems willing to pay top dollar to see a winning team, so owners will have their investments returned quickly.

I don't blame you for being conservative, but our previous signings have not been of the high calibre type. Injuries will always be a concern even amongst our own drafted players anyway (see Boeser and EP), but all it'll take is some luck and if everyone is healthy going into the playoffs, we are that much more dangerous with someone like EK.

I'm not even that concerned about the Luongo situation. I highly doubt he will burn us like that and just hit LTIR until his contract is done like many others have done or even "mutually agree" to terminate the contract and just take on a role in management so he still gets paid.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

He got brutalized in San Jose, going further north to a team with a rougher schedule would have him crippled before the playoffs even start. Hard pass for me unless he comes at 7-8mil per.

If he's going to sign for 7-8 million, he might as well sign in Tampa where he will have less taxes to pay and be on a better contending team at the moment.

But the schedule is a valid concern.

Just now, theo5789 said:

If he's going to sign for 7-8 million, he might as well sign in Tampa where he will have less taxes to pay and be on a better contending team at the moment.

But the schedule is a valid concern.

I never said it was realistic, just said that's all I'd give him. 11 mil for a one legged, one way d-man is a good way to be a one and done team.

Just now, N7Nucks said:

I never said it was realistic, just said that's all I'd give him. 11 mil for a one legged, one way d-man is a good way to be a one and done team.

To be fair he carried Ottawa to within a goal from the Stanley Cup Final two years ago. I don’t think you’d find a better partner for Hughes than Karlsson right now imo. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Pears said:

To be fair he carried Ottawa to within a goal from the Stanley Cup Final two years ago. I don’t think you’d find a better partner for Hughes than Karlsson right now imo. 

True, 2 years ago. 2 years of wear and tear on his already busted ankle including a couple lengthy playoff runs one of which showed clear signs his skating is starting to fade. Where will he be in 2 more years? A better partner for Hughes? Stralman would be a better partner for Hughes than Karlsson, hell a healthy Tanev would be better if that were ever a thing. They know what the defensive side of the ice looks like. There was a reason Karlsson and Methot worked so well together. It wasn't cause Methot was such a dynamic offensive threat.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Pears said:

If he’s 100% healthy he’s the best offensive defenseman on the planet. If we can get that guarantee he’s fully healthy I say give him what he wants. 

Even when he’s not healthy (which he hasn’t been for the most part of the past 3 seasons playing through pain) playing on 1 leg, he’s still in the top5 best dmen in the world :lol: which is insane !

...he skates so effortlessly out there that he still has the edge on 99% of players.

And people that are saying his best days are behind him don’t have a clue. If that was the case, they’d have said the same thing in 2014-15 when he only had 66 points in 82 games. That would seem like the ‘dip’ or ‘decline’ as a lot say and since then, his numbers (p/g) have all been higher than that. 15-16 he had 82pts in 82gp. 16-17 71pts in 77gp. 17-18 62pts in 71gp. This year 45pts in 53gp. As well as 34pts in 38 playoff games in that span when he’s been hurting the most. 

This guy is &^@#ing nuts. If those are the numbers he’s put up when “hurt” and “declining”, sign me right up. I’ll gladly let him recover and be even better than that. Even if he gets nicked up again, again I’ll take those numbers as he’s shown the past 3 seasons .

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

True, 2 years ago. 2 years of wear and tear on his already busted ankle including a couple lengthy playoff runs one of which showed clear signs his skating is starting to fade. Where will he be in 2 more years? A better partner for Hughes? Stralman would be a better partner for Hughes than Karlsson, hell a healthy Tanev would be better if that were ever a thing. They know what the defensive side of the ice looks like. There was a reason Karlsson and Methot worked so well together. It wasn't cause Methot was such a dynamic offensive threat.

Sorry but don’t try playing the Karlsson sucks on defense card. He’s better than Burns in his own zone statistically and he made it known the year he carried the Sens within a goal of the SCF that he’s reliable in his own end.

smh, trying to make it be as if he’s Mike Green :blink: 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Sorry but don’t try playing the Karlsson sucks on defense card. He’s better than Burns in his own zone statistically and he made it known the year he carried the Sens within a goal of the SCF that he’s reliable in his own end.

smh, trying to make it be as if he’s Mike Green :blink: 

Did you watch the St Louis series? Lol. I bet you didn't. You're still riding the high of a playoff run from 3 seasons ago. He's slowing down, he'll continue to slow down. I watched that St Louis series and nothing about it made me believe this guy can be the same guy he was 3 seasons ago. Also, I never said he sucks on defense but there is a legit reason Ottawa ran Methot with him and there was a reason that was a huge loss for Ottawa when he was taken. But hey, keep drinking the 2016/17 kool aid. 

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If Karlsson was 4 years younger and didn't have a sizeable injury history, I would say that the Canucks should be all over signing him.

He's nearing 30 with both lingering groin issues and partial reconstruction of an ankle, with the groin issues being very evident in the last game of the playoffs the Sharks were in. He'll be looking for a mammoth contract that, in my opinion, he won't live up to because of the factors already mentioned. It'll span most of the next decade, which may hamper the Canucks from a salary cap perspective.

That being said, if he was signed here, and Benning made sure that he was capable of playing a full 82 game schedule (and beyond), I wouldn't mind that either.

That ankle of his, especially at his age, will never be the same.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Ironic.

I guess you couldn’t tell when watching that he was gutting it out and not in any shape healthy enough to play. Because he’s a hockey player. Again, production speaks for itself. 

Is exactly my point, he can't stay healthy now we expect him to stay healthy on a 7 year deal. LOL. Hullo? Am I taking crazy pills? Are you even reading my messages or just nitpicking it and taking things outta context? You're making it sound like I am calling him trash, I am saying I don't trust his health enough to give him 11 mil over 7 years. He's at best average defensively and at worst a complete liability. He looked awful in the St Louis series. If you feel differently, by all means but I would not stick him with Hughes. I'd put him with Edler. He takes the offensive workload off Edler and Edler can let Karlsson just focus on offense.

Whatever guy, you think he's god's gift to defense and I think he's got too many injuries to sustain his play over a 7 year contract. We can just leave it at that.

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

Is exactly my point, he can't stay healthy now we expect him to stay healthy on a 7 year deal. LOL. Hullo?

23 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Even when he’s not healthy (which he hasn’t been for the most part of the past 3 seasons playing through pain) playing on 1 leg, he’s still in the top5 best dmen in the world :lol: which is insane !

...he skates so effortlessly out there that he still has the edge on 99% of players.

And people that are saying his best days are behind him don’t have a clue. If that was the case, they’d have said the same thing in 2014-15 when he only had 66 points in 82 games. That would seem like the ‘dip’ or ‘decline’ as a lot say and since then, his numbers (p/g) have all been higher than that. 15-16 he had 82pts in 82gp. 16-17 71pts in 77gp. 17-18 62pts in 71gp. This year 45pts in 53gp. As well as 34pts in 38 playoff games in that span when he’s been hurting the most. 

This guy is &^@#ing nuts. If those are the numbers he’s put up when “hurt” and “declining”, sign me right up. I’ll gladly let him recover and be even better than that. Even if he gets nicked up again, again I’ll take those numbers as he’s shown the past 3 seasons .