The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Erik Karlsson - the all encompassing Free Agency Thread

Perhaps he is writing this just IN CASE he does not re-sign. IMO, it makes sense for him to re-sign, as that team can still win. The age argument is hilarious. Brent Burns is 34 and still one of the better offensive defencemen in the league. Erik Karlsson does not play a reckless game either, I am not convinced that he will never be the same. I think he has many great years in front of him.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Is exactly my point, he can't stay healthy now we expect him to stay healthy on a 7 year deal. LOL. Hullo?

56 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Precisely what I meant in the op AKA The Kawhi treatment.

Wait till he’s fully healthy. Play him but on less minutes than he usually averages. Sit him out on back-to-back’s. Plan being, all leading up for him to be as healthy as possible for the playoffs towards the end of the regular season where it matters most.

And that.

It’s not rocket science. He just needs time and not to be rushed into game action. Which is what whatever team gets him will do.

3 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

And that.

It’s not rocket science. He just needs time and not to be rushed into game action. Which is what whatever team gets him will do.

A thigh bruise is not the same as repairing 70% of a man's ankle. Not to mention it's two completely different sports. You sneeze in someone's direction in the NBA you get called for a foul. But hey, apples and oranges. Like I said, we aren't gonna see eye to eye on this.

I am in the "go after Karlsson" camp. I put the below post in the Schenn thread but thought I would post it here just for laughs.

Edler / E. Karlsson

Hughes / top 4 R d via trade (Subban, Ristolainen, etc)

Hutton / Stecher

Schenn

For the top 4 right D via trade we have a bunch of mediocre players to trade (Goldy, Sutter, Granlund, Tanev) plus 2020 draft picks. If the Canucks cannot get a have decent top 4 younger right D then maybe keep Tanev for a bit until they can one (hopefully JB could find one though).

- let OJ get some AHL games and then let him take Hutton's spot

That is a legit 1st pairing D. Something the Canucks have not had forever. Hughes and a youngish top 4 right D (maybe a bigger guy that can skate) would make a good pairing and then a half decent bottom pair. Could sub in Schenn in tougher games. Hopefully OJ shows he is a player by a couple months into the season.

Of course this is easier said than done. Edler needs to sign without a NMC for the 3rd year. Could we even get Karlsson? Could we get a youngish top 4 right D via trade (25-28 years old)? 

That would be a good D by November 

Edler / Erik Karlsson

Hughes / Ristolainen

Juolevi / Stecher

Schenn

Just spit balling lol.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, captainhorvat said:

Is Doug Wilsons job at risk if Karlsson walks??

For what they gave up and not even a finals appearance. I know this market would be calling for Bennings head!

So true, heck in this room they wanted his head over the Dahlen deal .

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

A thigh bruise is not the same as repairing 70% of a man's ankle. Not to mention it's two completely different sports. You sneeze in someone's direction in the NBA you get called for a foul. But hey, apples and oranges. Like I said, we aren't gonna see eye to eye on this.

Yea sure, we will agree to disagree. At least on my end, I’m backing it up with stats and showing it hasn’t effected his production which is even more impressive considering that. And giving a common sense plan (which whatever team gets him will do as well) on how to be patient and let him fully recover :) 

...although...I would love to know where you came up with this “70%” number :P

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-P said:

I don't believe the rumours about a unite with Henrik Lundqvist in NYR, King Henrik is pretty much done and also the Rangers are a few years away from contending anyway. Tampa makes sense and is a fit but maybe not cap wise. Columbus would be a great fit but I think EK is a bit too flashy to like neither the city nor their style of play.

The injury concerns are valid of course, but I still feel that without any indications of injury that can be traced to the ankle and seeing what he did in the playoffs when he could hardly skate at all it's hard not to be intrigued...

The Rangers want to accelerate their rebuild and plan to be aggressive this off-season.  They are also targeting Panarin.  

They probably don't want to be in a Winnipeg situation where they take all that time to patiently rebuild and can't keep their team together because of the salary cap and a key player like Trouba at risk of walking once he reaches free agency.  

Young players want to get paid earlier and as an agent explained Matthews taking 5 years has opened up options to reach free agency earlier and negotiate another high contract.  Top players like Karlsson, Panarin and Duchene talk about how they look forward to testing free agency.  

Their new president Davidson comes from CBJ where the team is going to take a step back with them losing both Panarin and Bobrovsky to free agency.  

Edited by mll

Think EK goes to an eastern team, Like a poster mentioned, he has had lots of injuries kind of see him being like Letang...a very good point producing D but seemingly will miss time every year not as much as say tanev but 10-15 games a year 

2 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Good point, Alf. I have, however, heard the Lightning are looking to move some salary in the form of Tyler Johnson ($5 mil) and JT Miller ($5.25). They also have three defencemen who will become UFAs on July 1 (Coburn, Girardi and Stralman) so they are clearly looking for defence. I guess if GM Brisebois really wants to, he could make Karlsson work, but you are correct in that you can't add expensive pieces without removing expensive pieces. 

... and can you imagine being the partner that helps them shed that salary?  Those aren’t bad players, just too many good players to afford on that roster.  Callahan is the only really overpaid guy and it is only a year.

Obviously not all of them, but they have lots of players that would slide into slots on our roster as upgrades.

Miller-Petterson-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Johnson

Roussel-Gaudette-Callahan

Motte-Beagle-MacEwan

Edler-Stecher

Hughes-Stralman

Hutton-Foote

Edited by Provost

3 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

Is Doug Wilsons job at risk if Karlsson walks??

For what they gave up and not even a finals appearance. I know this market would be calling for Bennings head!

Nah, considering who they got the honestly didn't pay a whole lot tbh. Those were always going to be later picks too. You rarely see players of Karlsson's caliber traded and the Sharks have/had a window that's closing. 

Of all the D available Karlsson's probably the one I'm most interested in. That being said, his health is a concern and his ask is as well. I'd be fine with him coming here if he'd be interested in making a deal but it'd depend on what that deal looks like. If we can somehow move out Eriksson without taking on a ton of cap in return it'd help fit him in a lot. 

We already have a RHD that has trouble staying healthy. Even if we move say Hutton and Tanev. Does Benning sign Edler then?

Aren't just trading a guy who's injured with another guy who gets injured but is more like Sami Salo when he's healthy he's an impact player? 

• Upvote 1

As many have said, and it is the most important factor, big UFA signs almost ALWAYS backfire/don't live up/underwhelm. 

As also mentioned, injury prone and will be 29 by season start. With how much he will command (and easily get), it's an easy pass. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Pete M said:

after watching him in the playoffs this year, it's a hard pass on EK

What’s a hard pass?  How is that different from an easy pass?  Are you saying you really like EK and it’s hard not to want him, but you will pass on him anyway? 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Me_ said:

EDLER - TANEV

HUGHES - SCHENN

HUTTON - STETCHER

or

EDLER - KARLSSON

HUGHES - SCHENN

HUTTON - STETCHER

?

Hughes Meyers

Edler Stecher