The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Erik Karlsson - the all encompassing Free Agency Thread

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

What’s a hard pass?  How is that different from an easy pass?  Are you saying you really like EK and it’s hard not to want him, but you will pass on him anyway? 

I think it may be like fat chance and slim chance. It all adds up to the same thing.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes Meyers

Edler Stecher

Schenn OJ

Bulldog

Hutton Tanev go bye bye

A quick highlights search on YouTube for Myers does not render fruitful results. 

Why mess with a Hughes - Schenn duo since Schenn has decided to turn it around?

Brian Burke on SN looking at Hughes, “that’s a small body gentlemen, a small body”

Edited by Me_

21 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Yea man, definitely. 

Those 16 points in 19 games these playoffs on 1 leg, what a bum! There’s so many better dmen out there!!

:rolleyes:

He will cost an arm and leg to sign. We may have cap room but we’ll need it to resign Brock and Eagle now as well as  Petey and Quinn in the upcoming years. 

Throwing a massive deal to Karlsson when he could be hitting a decline soon (maybe not just a guess) or be injury proned like this year is a huge gamble that is not worth the risk despite his offensive upside. 

I would pass on him too.

On 5/24/2019 at 7:36 PM, RRypien37 said:

As many have said, and it is the most important factor, big UFA signs almost ALWAYS backfire/don't live up/underwhelm. 

As also mentioned, injury prone and will be 29 by season start. With how much he will command (and easily get), it's an easy pass. 

The thing is that the big UFA signings have not been of the superstar quality. This is because superstars rarely make it to UFA status. The equivalent this year of the "big UFA signing" would be someone like Myers and I would agree with you here in that his cost to value term will likely backfire. The equivalent to EK hitting UFA is more along the lines of someone like John Tavares. Now while Toronto has kinda shot themselves in the foot cap-wise, Tavares has produced and lived up to expectations so far with 88 points in a full season and the other cap woes have been due to other factors moreso than Tavares himself (eg Nylander's horrible deal, signing Marleau which was a decent idea but that was before Tavares, the Zaitsev deal after one good season, etc).

Being 29 isn't a major concern as the max contract is 7 years and playing until 36 at at still a high level doesn't seem far fetched to me. I understand the injury concerns and it's the only thing that does bother me, but someone like Giordano had a torn harmstring and torn bicep before. He was down and out for many games between the ages of 27-31, but has been playing full seasons after that and has even become a Norris candidate at age 35. The last couple of seasons EK hasn't seemed to be completely healthy and is still putting up 70 point seasons. I would like to take an approach that will get him back to full health or close to it for the 1st season and can you imagine the damage he could do at that point? 

Why do you think teams are willing to pay him as much as he's likely going to get? Because he's a premier player in the league. It's not going to be so much a team simply overpaying the best UFA on the market. He could very well be worth the 11 million a year even if he was re-signing back with his team and not even hitting UFA.

Edited by theo5789
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

To sign EK at this point would suggest that he's the final piece in the puzzle to help the Canucks to the Holy Grail. That's not going to happen for at least another couple of years, maybe more, by which time he's likely to be past his prime. Rather be patient and develop a solid base through drafts, trades and development à la Chicago.

• Upvote 1

Not for us obviously but he turns any fringe-playoff team into an instant contender.  Will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Two interesting possibilities - Carolina or Colorado. Both had surprisingly good playoff runs, both have plenty of young players and could be on the cusp of completely busting next season or going really deep and having last year as a foundational year.

Both teams have the cap space too.

2 hours ago, ynwa said:

To sign EK at this point would suggest that he's the final piece in the puzzle to help the Canucks to the Holy Grail. That's not going to happen for at least another couple of years, maybe more, by which time he's likely to be past his prime. Rather be patient and develop a solid base through drafts, trades and development à la Chicago.

I kind of agree and I kind of don’t.

The part of me agrees with not to force us back into relevance by trading futures for players to help us win now. But adding a star player through a trade would do that. And adding one through free agency is just salary cap. A number 1 dman is worth it IMO. 

I mean if we are able to resign Edler for a reasonable amount and if we got EK for preferably 5 years. I’d go 6 MAX. 7 would be too long and 6 would be too but if going from 5-6 years would be the difference in getting him or not I would do it.

EK in playoffs even not at 100% was still playing big minutes at important times, he produced offensively and made fantastic breakout passes. He was slow to loose pucks and made more mistakes than usual, but I would atribute this to playing hurt. 

Comparing Keith Yandle to EK for age and production he’s 32 and had a fantastic year. 

EK takes his conditioning very seriously and is one of the best defencemen in the history of the game. Even if he loses his mobility with age he will still keep his puck skills and ability to pass the puck. This was evident to me by the way he played hurt.

i think he can be a very productive player till he’s 34 at least, barring injuries of course.

Injury risk is higher on the westcoast and especially for canucks defencmen. 

I believe time on ice for dmen is a big factor though and having both edler and Karlsson will bring great balance to our d core.

Edler-Karlsson

Hughes-Tanev

Hutton-Stecher

I think this would be the best dcore we have ever had, and Edler-Karlsson would be the best pairing in canucks history for the next two years.

Having Edler and Karlsson would shelter Hughes In his rookie year. He would also be a fantastic mentor/ role model for our younger dmen: Hughes, Stecher and soon to be OJ.

Karlsson would be an outstanding quarterback on our pp to Boeser and Petey as well. And Hughes could run our second PP with Edler available for either if required due to penalties or deployment.  

Signing Schenn would be nice to have as a physical depth dman to slot in when needed for injuries or for physical games where the coach feels he is required. 

I really liked him qith hughes down the stretch and we all know Tanev will get hurt so I wouldn’t mind having him ready to go.

at the end of the day it’s up to EK where he goes. But I’m sure we will be making him a pitch because players of his caliber are hard to get. We have never had one in franchise history.

Also - if we factor in that going into next year If the mandate is to progress then we will be in the same range as last year if not better. Adding EK would likely elevate us to wild card contention if things went well. The draft position we are looking at now doesn’t really matter especially with the lotto system now.

Just my opinion

• Upvote 1

Looks like he really wants to go to Tampa...certainly do-able

Tampa just need to let one of their D-men walk (free up 3-4M) and then trade one of their 5M forwards or two because Point is going to command a bit as well. 

Hedman, Sergachev a year better and Karlsson will be an absolute force, they can afford to lose Girardi/Stralman/Coburn.

Up front they'll have to shift Killorn, Johnson, Miller, Pallat and/or Callahan.

If I were them I'd change up a lot after that disappointing playoffs. Let 2 of the 3 defencemen walk, trade 3 of the 5 forwards. Sign Point and Karlsson.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

As many have said, and it is the most important factor, big UFA signs almost ALWAYS backfire/don't live up/underwhelm. 

As also mentioned, injury prone and will be 29 by season start. With how much he will command (and easily get), it's an easy pass. 

Tavares looked pretty good last year

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Not for us obviously but he turns any fringe-playoff team into an instant contender.  Will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Two interesting possibilities - Carolina or Colorado. Both had surprisingly good playoff runs, both have plenty of young players and could be on the cusp of completely busting next season or going really deep and having last year as a foundational year.

Both teams have the cap space too.

Carolina and Colorado - both teams have a young promising D-corps.  They don't really need him especially at his cap hit.  They should invest in Fs instead.  

Btw Dreger thinks that Makar is going to be better than Karlsson at his best.  

Edited by mll

5 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Looks like he really wants to go to Tampa...certainly do-able

Tampa just need to let one of their D-men walk (free up 3-4M) and then trade one of their 5M forwards or two because Point is going to command a bit as well. 

Hedman, Sergachev a year better and Karlsson will be an absolute force, they can afford to lose Girardi/Stralman/Coburn.

Up front they'll have to shift Killorn, Johnson, Miller, Pallat and/or Callahan.

If I were them I'd change up a lot after that disappointing playoffs. Let 2 of the 3 defencemen walk, trade 3 of the 5 forwards. Sign Point and Karlsson.

Don’t forget 46 pt Ryan McDonagh too.

Hedman-Karlsson

Sergachev-McDonagh

Thats filthy. I wonder if they’d want to move McD out. 6.75M for the next 6 years may not work for the Canucks though.

I think EK lands with the Rangers though. Adding EK and Kakko makes for a huge splash. 

10 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

Don’t forget 46 pt Ryan McDonagh too.

Hedman-Karlsson

Sergachev-McDonagh

Thats filthy. I wonder if they’d want to move McD out. 6.75M for the next 6 years may not work for the Canucks though.

I think EK lands with the Rangers though. Adding EK and Kakko makes for a huge splash. 

McDonagh and Hedman were their only regulars last season.  Cooper talks of how impactful he has been.  Brisebois explained that from December onwards all their other Ds were part of a rotation and taking turn sitting out.  

13 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

We already have a RHD that has trouble staying healthy. Even if we move say Hutton and Tanev. Does Benning sign Edler then?

Aren't just trading a guy who's injured with another guy who gets injured but is more like Sami Salo when he's healthy he's an impact player? 

I would move on from Edler and keep the younger and likely cheaper non NMC player in Hutton. In theory we should have 2 future top 4 LHD that we have drafted quite soon, they were draft very high and I think we need to focus on adding to the RHD and skilled wingers to compliment our top 2 C

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

I would move on from Edler and keep the younger and likely cheaper non NMC player in Hutton. In theory we should have 2 future top 4 LHD that we have drafted quite soon, they were draft very high and I think we need to focus on adding to the RHD and skilled wingers to compliment our top 2 C

I agree with that. But the CDC masses seem to want to always want to trade Hutton and Virtanen. 

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I agree with that. But the CDC masses seem to want to always want to trade Hutton and Virtanen. 

I think after seeing how Tom Wilson evolved and became a mean, hard nose player who plays on the edge and goes over that edge had many of CDC hoping Jake would follow a very similar path. I don't see Jake having that kind of mean streak to him to be that physical. We have to give Jake a top 6 role this upcoming year and keep him their imo. He was a high pick, he shows glimpses of having a good shot, his speed is undeniable.

It may sound silly but I would bring in Todd Bertuzzi as a special guest coach during training camp. Have him spend time with Jake, Bert knew how to fend of a defender while driving to the net, Jake tries that but the finishing part hasn't quite come yet. I think Todd could be a positive influence on Jake if he was around the team. I really want Jake to pan out as he was a high pick and think he could be a very good winger in our top 6. He may be the "3rd wheel" but that is fine, if he can use his speed, screen the goalie and gel with Bo/EP and find his knack with them then ALL Canuck fans are going to be very happy. Just keep it simple Jake, skate fast pressure the D, hit them every time force them to cough it up. Turnovers are such a huge part of the game and get much more intensified in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

That could happen in a few years but we saw pretty clearly this season how the team fared without Edler and when relying too much on Hutton.