The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Erik Karlsson - the all encompassing Free Agency Thread

6 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Do Canucks have enough hair product if EK and Boeser are both on the team?    

EK would be making more $ so he could ship in anything he wanted haha. Guy does need a haircut tho imo, but each to their own

6 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Do Canucks have enough hair product if EK and Boeser are both on the team?    

I've got some hair gel I never use sitting in a drawer.  It's probably at least 75% full.  It's a sacrifice, but I can lend it to the cause!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Fanuck said:

How many players can people name that got 'healthier' as their careers got longer after having lengthy injury histories? 

How many players can people name that hit UFA and actually played up to the full level of their contracts through to the end of the contract? 

These are my concerns. 

Crosby is a terrific example

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Looks like he really wants to go to Tampa...certainly do-able

Tampa just need to let one of their D-men walk (free up 3-4M) and then trade one of their 5M forwards or two because Point is going to command a bit as well. 

Hedman, Sergachev a year better and Karlsson will be an absolute force, they can afford to lose Girardi/Stralman/Coburn.

Up front they'll have to shift Killorn, Johnson, Miller, Pallat and/or Callahan.

If I were them I'd change up a lot after that disappointing playoffs. Let 2 of the 3 defencemen walk, trade 3 of the 5 forwards. Sign Point and Karlsson.

That's where I'm guessing he ends up too.

Move Miller for a boat load of futures, dump Callahan, let Stralman, Coburn etc walk and they'd have plenty of room.

Heck, I'd love to get in on that action... Send them Tanev with retention (to replace Stralman for cheap), take on Callahan and get Foote + back ::D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, logic said:

Tavares looked pretty good last year

Did I say 100% of the time? There are always exceptions. He also doesn't have nagging injury issues. Its amazing what you can find out when you actually read the full post. 

19 hours ago, Provost said:

We would probably have to overpay, and his value has dropped somewhat.

If he wanted to sign here for 5-6 years, $9 million per. and no trade protection after the first 3 years... then it is a no brainer to sign him.

7 years at $11 million... no thanks.

We are better off taking on cap from a team like Tampa who will be trying to free up space.  There will be a bunch of teams trying to do it, so the cap space would be at a premium.

For Tampa, Tanev at 50% retained any of our cheap bottom end forwards and  Virtanen would have value if it meant they could free up space.

Callahan is easy to swallow as he only has a year left.  J.T. Miller and Tyler Johnson are pretty good top 6 guys for us.  Foote is probably the future we would want.

Some combination of those prices could turn into a deal.

gross why would we want callahan or johnson  virtanen has so much raw  potential and he get better every yr no thanks and tampa will not be trading foote are u insane

9 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Looks like he really wants to go to Tampa...certainly do-able

Tampa just need to let one of their D-men walk (free up 3-4M) and then trade one of their 5M forwards or two because Point is going to command a bit as well. 

Hedman, Sergachev a year better and Karlsson will be an absolute force, they can afford to lose Girardi/Stralman/Coburn.

Up front they'll have to shift Killorn, Johnson, Miller, Pallat and/or Callahan.

If I were them I'd change up a lot after that disappointing playoffs. Let 2 of the 3 defencemen walk, trade 3 of the 5 forwards. Sign Point and Karlsson.

I will throw up if this happens. But yea it really is possible and not hard to imagine him there.. :(

21 hours ago, Alflives said:

I'd love to see EK with us.  I doubt it though.  If we did somehow get him, then we need to keep both Edler and Tanev.  EK needs to play way less minutes, and way less D zone starts than he did with the Sharks.  If we could shelter his minutes, I think he could stay healthy.  Then, do we want to spend those kinds of dollars on a D man that needs sheltered minutes?  Like him for sure, but would be concerned about his health.  

If we acquired EK, keeping Edler would be obvious, but why would we need to keep Tanev beyond his contract.  

EK would be very risky injury wise and could hamper the clubs cap flexibility moving forward with guys like Hughes and EP40 coming off their ELC's

We could just have the bandaid brigade as our defence.  Hopefully Hughes can stay healthy, OJ is following right in Salo's foot steps.  One good thing is KB is adding to the depth on defence... having a bunch of young guys on the farm could at least keep filling in spots ad our NHL guys break down.  

9 hours ago, canuktravella said:

gross why would we want callahan or johnson  virtanen has so much raw  potential and he get better every yr no thanks and tampa will not be trading foote are u insane

Well, you have pretty much answered your own question there.

We would want Callahan or Johnson because we would ask for Foote back.  Callahan is only a year of contract, and Johnson is a legit top 6 guy who produces decent offence and also gets Selke votes consistently... and is signed to a reasonable contract.

Foote isn’t an untouchable on a team that would have Herman, Karlsson and Sergachev locked on long term, plus Cernak as a young solid prospect.  Foote is probably a 2nd pairing D when he develops... not an all star.

As for Virtanen... you need to start watching the actual player and not who you want him to be.  If things go really well, maybe he becomes an average 2nd line winger.  Five years and 210 NHL games since he was drafted and you are still talking about “raw potential”.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, Provost said:

Well, you have pretty much answered your own question there.

We would want Callahan or Johnson because we would ask for Foote back.  Callahan is only a year of contract, and Johnson’s is a legit top 6 guy who produces decent offence and also gets Selke votes consistently... and is signed to a reasonable contract.

Foote isn’t an untouchable on a team that would have Herman, Karlsson and Seegachev locked on long term, plus Cernak as a young solid prospect.  Foote is probably a 2nd pairing D when he develops... not an all star.

As for Virtanen... you need to start watching the actual player and not who you want him to be.  If things go really well, maybe he becomes an average 2nd line winger.  Five years and 210 NHL games since he was drafted and you are still talking about “raw potential”.

footes going no where hesa 2-3 spot dman when he develops to potential and  virtanen plays a great game took another stride this yr u win cups with players like that hes built for playoffs speed and physicality 

• Wat 1

3 minutes ago, canuktravella said:

footes going no where hesa 2-3 spot dman when he develops to potential and  virtanen plays a great game took another stride this yr u win cups with players like that hes built for playoffs speed and physicality 

not every player turns into bertuzzi before they turn 26 even bertuzzi 

• Wat 1

6 hours ago, VancouverIteinSanDiego said:

We have a trade to announce of the draft day on the floor.

Canucks have traded (some late.round pick) to San Jose sharks for EK. 

If sharks do a sign and trade it's only way he can get a 8yr contract

Or we can trade for his UFA rights for a mid-late round pick if both the team and player have agreed and are willing to do a deal. 

Though I’d rather not. Stick with the 7. He’s a FA after all and 7 years will take him to age 36 which is very reasonable :)