The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Erik Karlsson - the all encompassing Free Agency Thread

11 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

I know this is a stupid proposal but it’s golf season and I watched the Bruins win again last night so grant me a little homer dreaming. I wonder if he would consider a 1 or 2 year deal at max dollars. Promise him a defensive minded partner that can handle any heavy stuff (think Schenn or similar) let Edler and Taney handle the defensive end of the rink and then put out BB, EP, (literally anyone that screen a goalie) with EK and Hughes on the power play. 

Canucks get scoring and a true mentor for Hughes while we have cap space. EK gets to fully rehab and pad his stats in an offensive situation and then return to free agency with extra $$ in his pocket and time to cash in on a longer contract. 

Before you bash this too too hard I know he would never do it. Life is short injuries happen and this is his shot to get max term and money...but I want shiny things. 

Hey Erik, come sign a sweetheart deal in Vancouver!  We can give you what you've always wanted - a chance to play with Luke Schenn!

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Crimson said:

Hey Erik, come sign a sweetheart deal in Vancouver!  We can give you what you've always wanted - a chance to play with Luke Schenn!

Haha ok fair point. I was thinking more along the lines of you can be creative offensively and not worry about getting crushed...we will let someone expendable take care of that for you. But who wouldn’t be excited to play with Luke Schenn????

4 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

Haha ok fair point. I was thinking more along the lines of you can be creative offensively and not worry about getting crushed...we will let someone expendable take care of that for you. But who wouldn’t be excited to play with Luke Schenn????

If you really want to sell it to Erik, then Alex Biega is your man.

4 hours ago, oldnews said:

If the team hadn't just hit a homerun landing Hughes in last year's draft, he might be more tempting (although even then I don't particularly like him, wouldn't be very comfortable with the terms he's going to land in the frenzy - more talent then character, and at that price I want both).

With Hughes in the mix, and the future core having a few years to emerge, it's a definitive no for me.

Hughes is not going to be a top 4 D man right away. Also, why wouldn’t you want 2 studs on D? Remember Pronger and Neidermayer? 

On 5/28/2019 at 3:52 PM, grandmaster said:

Hughes is not going to be a top 4 D man right away. Also, why wouldn’t you want 2 studs on D? Remember Pronger and Neidermayer? 

I'm not simply thinking of "right away".  The point is that you're not getting Karlson for simply the short term - you'd be signing him to maximum term and cap.  And right away is not what matters - not something I particularly care to focus on - the importance is in the longer term - and planting Karlson in front of Hughes is not something I'd personally be keen to do.

And the Pronger Neidermeyer analogy really doesn't work for me.  Neither of these players are a Pronger.  You're not talking about a Pronger and a Neidermeyer, you're talking about a pair of pmds, neither of whom really resemble Pronger (who played a fundamentally different role).  You want to add a Pronger here - I'd be all for that.

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'm not simply thinking of "right away".  The point is that you're not getting Karlson for simply the short term - you'd be signing him to maximum term and cap.  And right away is not what matters - not something I particularly care to focus on - the importance is in the longer term - and planting Karlson in front of Hughes is not something I'd personally be keen to do.

And the Pronger Neidermeyer analogy really doesn't work for me.  Neither of these players are a Pronger.  You're not talking about a Pronger and a Neidermeyer, you're talking about a pair of pmds, neither of whom really resemble Pronger (who played a fundamentally different role).  You want to add a Pronger here - I'd be all for that.

I'm thinking the closest player in the league to Pronger right now is Parayko.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'm thinking the closest player in the league to Pronger right now is Parayko.

or Ristolainen

For me adding one of those type players would be a relative no-brainer compared to Karlson.

If they can get a bit more meanness out of Tryamkin....!!

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, oldnews said:

or Ristolainen

Would be such a good get if we could nab him (despite some people's 'green jacket!' :frantic: protests). He'd be a killer partner for Hughes and massive upgrade to our top 4.

Sadly, I don't think we really have the pieces to acquire him unless we're contemplating something around Markstrom +. We don't have excess of their other major need (and ours) of a top 6 F.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

I know they won’t be equals to those monster D men but my point was that we could potentially have 2 top end D men, if Hughes develops as they project 

39 minutes ago, oldnews said:

was thinking of him, but Pronger scored a lot more / more two-way upside than Zadorov.

True. Thing is there will never be another Pronger. His way of playing would never fly now. Too many cameras and the NHL doesnt have the appetite for how Pronger stretched the limits. He was one mean SOB. I imagine rookies having sleepless nights knowing they were playing Pronger the following day lol. 

5 minutes ago, 3rdGenCanuck said:

I feel like we get added to a lot of these rumours as a mean to get page hits...

Anyway, my money is on NYR/TBL, then SJS, then us way off in the distance. Especially given the rumours of him wanting to be back East.

33 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Ffs please no. I just see signing him as turning out to be a horrible hindsight move.

Exactly, why would we want to sign an elite #1 defenseman and have him under contract until he's 35? That would be the WORST! Right when he's about to start depreciating we would lose him? No way, if anything we should sign him to a 3 year contract first so that we can keep him until he's 38.

51 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I feel like we get added to a lot of these rumours as a mean to get page hits...

Anyway, my money is on NYR/TBL, then SJS, then us way off in the distance. Especially given the rumours of him wanting to be back East.

I agree with that completely! I won't believe this take until I actually hear Friedman himself. However, if these four teams are indeed the front-runners, I like the Canucks chances. I can't see him going back to San Jose and Tampa would have to do some serious restructuring to fit that contract. My money would be on the Rangers, but Canucks would be my 2nd on that list of teams.

1 minute ago, 3rdGenCanuck said:

I agree with that completely! I won't believe this take until I actually hear Friedman himself. However, if these four teams are indeed the front-runners, I like the Canucks chances. I can't see him going back to San Jose and Tampa would have to do some serious restructuring to fit that contract. My money would be on the Rangers, but Canucks would be my 2nd on that list of teams.

TBL could pretty easily do it IMO. They have a bunch of D already coming off this summer. Trade Miller for futures, dump Callahan (with some of said futures) and *poof* sign Karlsson.

20 minutes ago, 3rdGenCanuck said:

Tampa can do it fairly easily, I think they are the forerunner by far.  They have a lot of guys who are good players on decent value contracts that can easily be moved out.  Karlsson can sign there for $9 million which equals $11 million here.

We could probably get any/all of Miller, Johnson, Callahan, and Foote for Tanev (50% retained, and a cheap middle size forward) and Tampa ends up with lots of cap room and a crazy good defence.

Hedman-Karlsson

Sergachev-Tanev

MacDonagh-Cernak