The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Today in Canucks history: May 24, 1994

Rate this topic

abdemarco

4 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

And exactly 17 years to the day after that event:

I was in the middle of typing a message about this, then you beat me to it. and you're not even Vintage Canuck :frantic:

Edited by Roberts
  • Haha 2

Remember that late May '94 stretch so vividly. Was in Alberta for a wk, seeing my ex. Was busy tryiing to stack dollars(2 jobs), cos' in the fall I was moving to Japan.  A**holes were warning me you need 50 bucks to eat at McD's! Ooohhh Japan's too expensive for you, man! The things you hear sometimes, when you have a plan...

Anywhoo, the previous round vs Dallas, saw the 4-0 game where Pavel sniped a pair..the whole city was electric. Waitering/bartending nights, I had to miss quite a few games. The VCR was rolling, heavy duty!

A yr later married a girl here in Osaka..reading about strikes & Gretz deals..recall never missing hockey so badly in my life!

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

I remember that May 94 night well too. I was stuck in a driving school classroom for the first part of the game, just itching to get home to watch the rest of it.  Greg Adams cemented his god-like status in my books that night. Beauty!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I remember that May 94 night well too. I was stuck in a driving school classroom for the first part of the game, just itching to get home to watch the rest of it.  Greg Adams cemented his god-like status in my books that night. Beauty!

I will go to my grave yelling “dang you Lafayette...as he hits the post” :(

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I will go to my grave yelling “dang you Lafayette...as he hits the post” :(

Yeah, people talk about that post opportunity a lot. I remember Gelinas having just as good of a chance that people hardly mention. I think Richter even manages to get just a little tiny touch of it before it hits the post, just enough to set it off course (9:52 into video). Heartbreaking.

Edited by Slegr
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

The Province was publishing posters and every game I'd add a new one to the wall in the living room.

We had playoff parties and I made a skate logo cake (hand decorated...turned out SOOO good - candy corn, licorice, etc.).  Beating the Laffs....sooo good.

It was a big deal.  We'd drive around and honk in the neighbourhood.  The entire place was energized...people would hit the streets after the games.  Was like nothing I'd experienced before...loved it.  

I also remember the fan appreciation event after we lost the cup final...felt like we'd won.  Such a special time.  My nephew was born during game 7 of the finals.

That was my team....just loved that period of time.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Yeah, people talk about that post opportunity a lot. I remember Gelinas having just as good of a chance that people hardly mention. I think Richter even manages to get just a little tiny touch of it before it hits the post, just enough to set it off course (9:52 into video). Heartbreaking.

you're right, he needed to roof it

One thing we can be proud about after all these years is that it is still considered the best final of the modern era by hockey historians.   Two goals separated the series, and it was a nail biter right until the bitter end.   Ronning couldn’t get his puck up becuase his wrist was cracked, Lafayette’s post.  Two goals that would have made a difference in the series and won us a cup.   With the goalie pulled and the last face off in their end and seconds remaining I still thought it was possible, it seemed that we were destined to win.   Heartbreaking for sure.   

The way we beat Calgary who was still considered a contender, then rolled over Dallas and another contender in TO (although not really, 93 was still fresh in their minds and Gilmour had Cherry and TSN convinced) ...I really liked our chances against the powerhouse NYR.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

16 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

The Province was publishing posters and every game I'd add a new one to the wall in the living room.

We had playoff parties and I made a skate logo cake (hand decorated...turned out SOOO good - candy corn, licorice, etc.).  Beating the Laffs....sooo good.

It was a big deal.  We'd drive around and honk in the neighbourhood.  The entire place was energized...people would hit the streets after the games.  Was like nothing I'd experienced before...loved it.  

I also remember the fan appreciation event after we lost the cup final...felt like we'd won.  Such a special time.  My nephew was born during game 7 of the finals.

That was my team....just loved that period of time.

Indeed Deb, I still remember one of them(roughly)..big print, took up a full page

To mix the perfect Playoff Cocktail

Find an Irishman named Quinn. Have him mix you:

2 parts western, grinding shut-down hockey

1 part spectacular goaltending

& add a dash of Russian-exuberance

& day after Adams' big tally?

GOLF LEAFS GOLF!!! (took up a whole beautiful page..awesome news-trolling!)

Watched a lot of those Spring games in various pubs w/buds. What an awesome ride it was! Or howz'bout Larry & Willy on CFOX, faxin' his butt to NY City?! :^)

Good times.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, IBatch said:

One thing we can be proud about after all these years is that it is still considered the best final of the modern era by hockey historians.   Two goals separated the series, and it was a nail biter right until the bitter end.   Ronning couldn’t get his puck up becuase his wrist was cracked, Lafayette’s post.  Two goals that would have made a difference in the series and won us a cup.   With the goalie pulled and the last face off in their end and seconds remaining I still thought it was possible, it seemed that we were destined to win.   Heartbreaking for sure.   

The way we beat Calgary who was still considered a contender, then rolled over Dallas and another contender in TO (although not really, 93 was still fresh in their minds and Gilmour had Cherry and TSN convinced) ...I really liked our chances against the powerhouse NYR.  

I've never seen two players more emotionally spent after losing a series than Murray Craven and Sergio Momesso.

51 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I've never seen two players more emotionally spent after losing a series than Murray Craven and Sergio Momesso.

I don't know, there's this picture of Linden and Mclean circulating around that pretty much sums it up for me.  ;)

• Upvote 1