The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Most hated player in history amongst Canucks’ fanbase?

Rate this topic

Hindustan Smyl

Messier

Moore

Keith/Marchand. These 2 guys are so skilled and I wish we could have nasty tenacious players like that on the Canucks but we can't because people get their feelers hurt a lot on the West Coast so I have to hate on them because we get players like the Sedins instead.

I had read you saying that it was supposed to be joke, but your avatar made me angry everytime I saw it. I literally had a hard time taking anything you said seriously because I would read your post in a negative tone. That was the effect he has on this franchise all these years later.

Mark can pound sand for all I care, and my vote goes for him. The Rat is a turd, but he does it by design. His entire career is built off being a bugger, and unfortunately, he has done it well. He is my 2nd place, but no one can ever take over 1.

• Cheers 2

13 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

That guy that ended Andrew Alberts’ career.

(Brian McGratton?).

punk hockey player.  

Belonged in the beer leagues.

Only played up in the NHL because he knew how to beat people up.

Yeah I never understood how he was labelled as a very "stand up" and "ethical" enforcer. He was a POS that ended someones career.  

Edited by RRypien37
  • Upvote 3

I find it interesting that the majority say the most hated player by a Canucks fan - was a Canuck lol 

I was living in Winnipeg when Messier played here, so I wasn't affected by it. The fact that he just didn't deliver, I guess is maddening. But wasn't that Keenan's fault for bringing him here? Might as well add Eriksson to that list.

Anyway, it's Marchand all day for me. The guy has no class, kissing his ring finger when he played here. The cheap, dirty shots, and even stooping as low when trying to lick other players. Using Daniel's head as a punching bag, etc. He's Public Enemy #1 for me. Before him it was probably Sean Avery.

I’m not sure why I hate Nathan Horton so much, but he’s definitely my guy.   

Seriously - if you have a concussion and acted like you were “dead” when Aaron Rome smacked you, then why are you going around waiving towels and flags at the (loud) TD Garden?   Loud environments and concussions don’t exactly mix.  And what the hell was he doing pouring Boston water on our ice before Game 7?   

I don’t even hide the fact that I’m glad that his career is over.

Nathan Horton and Kelly Sutherland are my #1 heels........with Marchand and Steve Moore coming in distant thirds.

this guy never  singled out the canucks  by any stretch ,in fact he wasn't  particular at all who he speared ,slashed, jabbed and how he managed to play as long as he did without losing his teeth is a good question.

Can't really hate players, the one's that get the hate are normally agitators doing their job and in some cases are also damn good players. Messier was perhaps an exception for all the off-ice antics.

But if I was asked to pick someone in hockey who I despise?

Bettman—hands down.

18 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I’ll also mention a few other dishonorable mentions:

-Craig Janney (veto’d a trade to come here).

-Petr Nedved

-Geoff Sanderson (not really hated, but he was traded to Vancouver on two separate occasions and played less than 20-30 games total for us in TOTAL.  There had to be some hate there from our end.  :-p).

-Dan Cloutier

-Felix Potvin

-Marty McSorely

-Todd Simpson (Bure whiplash).

-Duncan Keith

-Dustin Brown

-Joe Thornton

-Jeff Brown (took Mrs McLean to the Candy shop).

Toss up between McSorely (for what he did to Brash. 

Steve More (for what he did to Nazzy)

The Rat (for what he did "twins" 

Nobody's even a close second to Messier.  He attacked the Canucks first from the outside, and then from within.  His "leadership" ate the core out of the team like a termite.  There's no arguing the results he got in Edmonton and New York, but his work in Vancouver was the worst example of a captain I have ever seen in NHL history.

It was like he was some kind of long term sleeper agent still playing for the Rangers and thinking it was 1994.  The way he rotted the team from the inside out was like a master work of villainy.

The Canucks have had many captains over 50 years, but he was the only one I would say was a bad captain.  The only other one that might even be called below average in 50 years is Luongo, and his tenure as captain is really hard to judge.  Messier is lucky as hell that the entire rest of the NHL has forgotten he was ever a Canuck.  The guy with a league leadership award named after him wishes he was half the Canucks captain that Don Lever or Chris Oddleifson or Kevin McCarthy was, let alone Smyl or Linden.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I’m not sure why I hate Nathan Horton so much, but he’s definitely my guy.   

Seriously - if you have a concussion and acted like you were “dead” when Aaron Rome smacked you, then why are you going around waiving towels and flags at the (loud) TD Garden?   Loud environments and concussions don’t exactly mix.  And what the hell was he doing pouring Boston water on our ice before Game 7?   

I don’t even hide the fact that I’m glad that his career is over.

Nathan Horton and Kelly Sutherland are my #1 heels........with Marchand and Steve Moore coming in distant thirds.

Everyone handles concussions differently, I used to do some work for the Burnaby Lakers lacrosse team and one of the guys on the team got a nasty concussion from his head hitting the floor. He rode his Harley the next day to Coquitlam to be with the team for the next game. 

• Cheers 1