The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Most hated player in history amongst Canucks’ fanbase?

Rate this topic

Hindustan Smyl

There is only one answer and it’s Messier.

Guys like Keith and Marchard are players who are hated universally.

Messier was already painted as a villain in Vancouver, actually came to our team and destroyed it within.

Edited by shiznak
  • Upvote 2

messier with keenan right behind him those 2 are made for each other , the other guys chris pronger the dirtiest player became department of player safety while still collecting a nhl salary ,  mc sorely  adam burrish  and of course ratboy marchand

I’ll never forget at the Heritage Classic whenever that Messier commercial came on (can’t remember what it was for), the amount of boos that came down were insane. Nothing like I’ve ever heard before. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

The beginning of the Orca Bay era was 1995. Messier wasn't signed until 1997. 

I recall what Pat Quinn said at the introduction of the new arena in 95, "we've lost the blue collar fans now"....

Edited by 6string
  • Cheers 1

Most recent memory: Keith. He hurt our chance at a repeat appearance at SCF in 2012. I think we beat LA if Daniel was in the lineup.

All-time: Messier. The damage that he has done to the team was truly devastating. It almost led the team to relocate.

Marchand is disliked around the league. He hasn't done anything special to our team to deserve more hate than say another team would have on him. Kissing his ring? Not a big enough deal to really hate the dude. Punching Daniel in the SCF? I blame the refs for calling a penalty on Daniel for getting punched. Anyways, Marchand is annoying but his actions didn't cause any severe damage to the team other than scoring against us (in a fair fashion). 

The thread asks for the most hated player but I have to give props to all you hardworking refs. Working your a$$ off to screw our team and few other teams in the NHL. You da best (worst). 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pears said:

I’ll never forget at the Heritage Classic whenever that Messier commercial came on (can’t remember what it was for), the amount of boos that came down were insane. Nothing like I’ve ever heard before. 

I think it was a Rogers Hometown hockey commercial where Messier was talking about some of the new PVR features and what have you.   His creepy McDavid commercials surfaced a year later.

• Cheers 1

Messier. It’s easy to hate Kesler, Keith, Marchand etc because of the way the play the game but my hatred towards Messier is personal as a Canucks fan.

1. He took Trevor Linden’s captaincy away 

2. Demanded to have #11 even though it was taken out of circulation because of Wayne Maki’s death.

3. Brought us Iron Mike Keenan, who traded Linden away and started the worst and most frustrating era of Canucks hockey I’ve ever seen.

4. Played like an entitled, lazy piece of garbage 

5. Had a terrible attitude that affected the entire team.

I could go on and on. Point being, us Canuck fans have every good reason to despise that POS. No one else nearly destroyed this team more than Messier.

• Upvote 2

keenan was the worst canuck. i think messier’s respect for keenan clouded his thought process.  keenan treated his players like crap and messier didn’t stand up to him.  i think ciccone summed it up best, when he said, i’ll jump off a cliff for him, but i won’t kiss his boots.  gino invited keenan to go out in the parking lot with him.  keenan demanded respect, but never earned a lick of it.  he hated his players having thoughts and ideas that he didn’t tell them to have. when linden stood up to him, he was traded away.  keenan gave gagner hell for wishing his team mates good luck before they went onto the ice. keenan told him, i never gave you permission to do that. ciccone was from montreal, when the canucks were in montreal, he bought a lot of tickets for his family and friends. keenan was so mad about that, he wouldn’t dress ciccone for that game. when linden stood up for his team mates, keenan said, i’ve won a stanley cup, what have you won?  a lot of canuck players who thought they would be keenan type players, found they couldn’t  play for him. they were soon traded away. 

Edited by smithers joe
  • Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Do Canucks fans actually hate Cloutier? I liked him. 

I liked him too, I thought he battled well for this team but was often too battered and beat up come playoff time to be able to step up his game.

39 minutes ago, BobbyClarke said:

The centre ice goal.  That's the only thing people remember about Cloutier.  That seemed to knock his career off the rails.  He never recovered from that.

I was at that game and remember watching as a lot of fans were heading to the concourse as it was close to intermission and I said to my friend; watch something is going to happen here because everyone is leaving their seats and there it was... 4 wins in a row later and Detroit was moving on.

As for the question the OP posed, I would say Messier. As with Stu Jackson and the Grizzlies, destroyed from within. 

Edited by Ronaldoescobar