The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Most hated player in history amongst Canucks’ fanbase?

Rate this topic

Hindustan Smyl

12 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Another guy that deserves mentioning:  Dave Bolland.

He was our “Brad Marchand” before we were actually introduced to Brad Marchand in the 2011 finals.   

Bolland is more of a chirper  who gets under your skin that way.  Marchand will chirp at you while taking a quick look if any ref is looking & then slash you.  Bolland while no saint tends to hurt you with words....Marchand will actually try to cheapshot you physically to injure you.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

22 hours ago, khay said:

Most recent memory: Keith. He hurt our chance at a repeat appearance at SCF in 2012. I think we beat LA if Daniel was in the lineup.

All-time: Messier. The damage that he has done to the team was truly devastating. It almost led the team to relocate.

Marchand is disliked around the league. He hasn't done anything special to our team to deserve more hate than say another team would have on him. Kissing his ring? Not a big enough deal to really hate the dude. Punching Daniel in the SCF? I blame the refs for calling a penalty on Daniel for getting punched. Anyways, Marchand is annoying but his actions didn't cause any severe damage to the team other than scoring against us (in a fair fashion). 

The thread asks for the most hated player but I have to give props to all you hardworking refs. Working your a$$ off to screw our team and few other teams in the NHL. You da best (worst). 

You forgot how the Rat clipped and intended to injured Sami Salo. I’ll never forget how much of a coward he is, pretending that he was trying to “protect himself.”

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Messier

Marchand

Keenan *not a player

Thornton/Thomas

Bolland/Seguin/Benn/Jumbomilkhotdog

Kyrpeos

Simpson, Hrudey, Stock, et al *as prattle-jockeys

Keith

Kadri, Gilmour

Poughty

a decade's worth of Flames goons.

so much to choose from....that's enough hate for today lol.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Messier.

Will never forget him hitting Linden when he was down on the ice.   

Marchand's just a goof.  Everyone hates him.  

Kadri's unstable and shouldn't even be in the game.  Can't stand him.  He's like a Brad Marchand who needs serious anger management and to learn some manners.

Steve Moore...because he's a slimy leech.  That whole Avs team - bunch of hypocrites.

I know he's not a player, but Bob Hartley ranks up there for me too.  Wish Torts got to him....

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

ROBSON: “Graves had knocked Linden down and sort of shook him up and then Messier cross-checked him in the neck and pushed his face into the ice. Sergio Momesso was standing up on the bench, just livid, and wanted to go after Messier. And I said: ‘He will play, you know he’ll play, he’ll play on crutches, he will play at Madison Square Garden on Tuesday night.’ But if I had tagged it with ‘in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Final’ it would have been a better line and one for all time.”

• Cheers 1

I wonder where Tie Domi would rank on this list?

The Canucks had some pretty decent battles with the Jets during the early 90’s and Gino and Tie weren’t exactly strangers to one another.   After Peca laid out Selanne that one time, Tie Domi looked into the cameras and warned us to “not dress Bure” next game.  Lmao.

2 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

I wonder where Tie Domi would rank on this list?

The Canucks had some pretty decent battles with the Jets during the early 90’s and Gino and Tie weren’t exactly strangers to one another.   After Peca laid out Selanne that one time, Tie Domi looked into the cameras and warned us to “not dress Bure” next game.  Lmao.

Add him to my list.  There are about 300 more too.

I hate all of them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I don't really "hate" any particular player, more that I hate certain situations........marchand on Danny and Thornton on Sedin are the biggest ones for me, but I actually love both players.  Mess is a tough one because he was my second favourite for a long long time before '94.  If I had to narrow it down to a person, it would have to be keenan.........as an 80's Oilers fan I couldn't stand him with the Flyers, then the '94 Rangers and obviously his time in van.

present day

Getzlaf and Perry have to be up there too (with Kesler of course)

Brown and Doughty from LA

Keith

Laine

Subban

Kotkaniemi (when he took down and injured Pettersson behind the play for no reason)

Karlsson (get a haircut)

Dillon

Bergevan (MTL GM)

Reeves

Matt Tkachuk (and his Dad)

Kadri

Lucic

the Bruins

the Leafs

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

present day

Getzlaf and Perry have to be up there too (with Kesler of course)

Brown and Doughty from LA

Keith

Laine

Subban

Kotkaniemi (when he took down and injured Pettersson behind the play for no reason)

Karlsson (get a haircut)

Dillon

Bergevan (MTL GM)

Reeves

Matt Tkachuk (and his Dad)

Kadri

Lucic

the Bruins

the Leafs

Yes to all of the above except Karlsson.

So much hate on for Messier! 

I loved this guy up until he came. I thought we would most certainly win the cup with Bure and Mogilny at his wings. I even bought an ice pack! I think we won only 2 games out of the 11 and all I saw was Messier float. Never went in front of the net. Never really tried. I was so angry! 

Messier gets my vote for former Canuck player only because of what was expected and what he delivered.

Marchand gets my vote for non Canuck. The way he tag dolled the Sedins with impunity was awful. I blame the team for that. I know they were trying for power plays but at that time they couldn’t score any power play goals so they ought to have destroyed that rat and be done with him once and for all!

• Upvote 1

Pretty sure Kirk Maclean's wife has come out and said she never spoke to Brown, let alone slept with him.

Roberto Luongo is up there for me. Absolutely sunk the Canucks in the finals. Nearly collapsed in the 2010 Gold Medal Game too. Clutch wasn't in his genes.

Todd Bertuzzi is up there too. One of the worst postseason players in NHL history.

Edited by Nucks89
  • Wat 3

3 hours ago, Nucks89 said:

Roberto Luongo is up there for me.

He didnt solely sink the Canucks.  No, he didnt elevate his game (and had he done so we probably would have won) but you could say that about most of the team that Final. 

4 hours ago, Nucks89 said:

Pretty sure Kirk Maclean's wife has come out and said she never spoke to Brown, let alone slept with him.

Roberto Luongo is up there for me. Absolutely sunk the Canucks in the finals. Nearly collapsed in the 2010 Gold Medal Game too. Clutch wasn't in his genes.

Todd Bertuzzi is up there too. One of the worst postseason players in NHL history.

This is the dumbest post I’ve ever seen. 

Bert was the best power forward we ever had and Lui was the best goalie we ever had. 

Also, blaming Lui for the 2011 loss is so ignorant. He played excellent in every victory and maybe not his best in a couple of his losses (like everyone else). The Canucks couldn’t score any goals and their power play was brutal. When you look at game 7, the Canucks were shut out at a score of 4-0. These goals included an empty netter, a deflection and a player sliding in on net at full speed. That is 3 goals he could not stop. You need to rewatch these games.

• Like 1

For Canucks? Messier is obvious. I didn't become obsessed and on CDC until the early 2000s. Here are some that fans loved to hate:

Potvin
Cloutier
Brochu
Hlavac
Malik
Rucinksy
Nathan Smith
Weinrich
Carney
McCarthy

Goren
Bouck

Ouellet
Noronen
Pyatt
Bulis
Smolinski
Chouinard
Santala
Isbister
Bernier
Rome

M Schneider
Alberts

Sturm

Booth

Sbisa
Megna
Chaput
Eriksson 

Gudbranson

3 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

For Canucks? Messier is obvious. I didn't become obsessed and on CDC until the early 2000s. Here are some that fans loved to hate:

Potvin
Cloutier
Brochu
Hlavac
Malik
Rucinksy
Nathan Smith
Weinrich
Carney
McCarthy

Goren
Bouck

Ouellet
Noronen
Pyatt
Bulis
Smolinski
Chouinard
Santala
Isbister
Bernier
Rome

M Schneider
Alberts

Sturm

Booth

Sbisa
Megna
Chaput
Eriksson 

Gudbranson

I’m sure there’s a ton more, but you famously forgot Sopel.