The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Poll: Should the Canucks sign Brock Boeser for 8 years

Rate this topic

Brock Boeser Contract  

248 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Would not sign Edler unless a reduction and only for one year.  Also no qualifying offer to Goldy.  Let him go.  Put the money towards the young guns and free agency.

Or use it to buy out Erickson and see him hit the road.

I have heard a number of non local and not hometown biased hockey pundits say that Boeser is likely to be a good but not elite player.  They doubt he is a regular point per game guy.. more in the 60-70 point range, maybe inflated a little by playing with an actual elite player in Petterson.

We have to be careful not to overpay him in are or term with a pretty small sample size.  Folks are acting like there is no downside risk with him as a player. Lots of guys don’t keep progressing (see all the Oilers top picks).

If it costs too much to buy UFA years, then a shorter deal at lower cap dollars could easily make sense.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Provost said:

I have heard a number of non local and not hometown biased hockey pundits say that Boeser is likely to be a good but not elite player.  They doubt he is a regular point per game guy.. more in the 60-70 point range, maybe inflated a little by playing with an actual elite player in Petterson.

We have to be careful not to overpay him in are or term with a pretty small sample size.  Folks are acting like there is no downside risk with him as a player. Lots of guys don’t keep progressing (see all the Oilers top picks).

If it costs too much to buy UFA years, then a shorter deal at lower cap dollars could easily make sense.

By "all" I'm guessing you mean Yakupov. Last time I checked both McDavid and RNH just had career seasons and Hall is the reigning Hart trophy winner. Even the later 1st round picks like Draisaitl, Eberle, Klefbom and Nurse have been consistent and/or improving year over year. I get people on CDC hating the Oilers but don't be a complete hockey knowledge moron about it.

Edited by GritGrinder

41 minutes ago, Provost said:

Love me some Boes but I have to agree that he’s going to be very good but unlikely to be elite. He has an elite shot but unless the puck is on his stick in the offensive end of the ice his effectiveness out there is marginal at best. 

Just for perspective, playing much fewer minutes Brock Boeser scored 55 goals through his first two seasons (131 games).   As but one example, Connor McDavid scored 46 through his first two seasons (127 games).    Soooo, while I don't think anyone would argue that McDavid is elite etc., why is Boeser's similar goal production seen as less than "elite"?    He had a much more complete game in his second year in terms of defensive play and contributions to his linemates (much better passer than first season).   Of course he doesn't deserve McDavid money but to say "let's wait two years to see if he is worth a long-term contract" flies in the face of all the evidence this kid has provided.

Boeser is one of the purest goal scoring talents the Canucks have had on their team in a long, long time.   Give him some linemates (imagine EP40 in two or three years) that are improved and you don't think he will score more goals?

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

By "all" I'm guessing you mean Yakupov. Last time I checked both McDavid and RNH just had career seasons and Hall is the reigning Hart trophy winner. Even the later 1st round picks like Draisaitl, Eberle, Klefbom and Nurse have been consistent and/or improving year over year. I get people on CDC hating the Oilers but don't be a complete hockey knowledge moron about it.

Well before calling people morons, learn something and don’t cherry pick things to make a false argument.

RNH was signed to then a huge RFA contract (back when RFAs didn’t cash in immediately) assuming he would keep getting better, he was overpaid for his potential improved production. He proceeded to have several seasons of regressing and not progressing.  Last season (the 5th of his 7 year deal) was the first time he beat the point total from his best ELC year.

Hall has also signed to a then huge RFA contract, again out of his six years of signing that contract he has had two good seasons and four crappy ones... including this most recent season.

Eberle signed the same $6 million dollar deal and has averaged 53 points per year over the entire 6 years of his now completed contract.

None of those three contracts paid dividends over the life of them so far.  At the time they were signed $6 million was what an elite player made.  It was equivalent to us giving Boeser more than a $7.7 million dollar long term deal today.  The assumption was that locking them in early would give them an elite player at a lower cap hit than later when the cap ceiling was higher.  None of them planned out that way.  Overpaying for most years so that you can maybe get a season or two of underpaying isn’t getting a deal.  Based on past production of 55-60 points per season.  Boeser hasn’t earned a $7.7 million dollar 6/7 year term deal.   If he stays at that production level, or god forbid regresses like the Oilers trio... then it is a terrible contract.  If he doesn’t become a regular PPG player it wouldn’t be doing us any favours to pay him as the 4th best paid RW in the entire league.

Edited by Provost

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Just for perspective, playing much fewer minutes Brock Boeser scored 55 goals through his first two seasons (131 games).   As but one example, Connor McDavid scored 46 through his first two seasons (127 games).    Soooo, while I don't think anyone would argue that McDavid is elite etc., why is Boeser's similar goal production seen as less than "elite"?    He had a much more complete game in his second year in terms of defensive play and contributions to his linemates (much better passer than first season).   Of course he doesn't deserve McDavid money but to say "let's wait two years to see if he is worth a long-term contract" flies in the face of all the evidence this kid has provided.

Boeser is one of the purest goal scoring talents the Canucks have had on their team in a long, long time.   Give him some linemates (imagine EP40 in two or three years) that are improved and you don't think he will score more goals?

Ummm... because assists also count?  They aren’t in the same stratosphere in terms of point totals or PPG.

McDavid is driving the play and feeding his line mates as well as scoring goals (as a centre is supposed to do).  Boeser is excellent at finishing plays his centres feed him (as a winger is supposed to do).  Not a comparable position in terms of goals if you exclude point totals.  

• Cheers 1

Can Canucks front load it ? so he makes the most of it , in the next few years before the EP40 and Quinn contracts get us squeezing the cap.

QH43 year counted and EP40 1st year so I guess both need signing at the same time.

a bridge BB6 deal would end at that time so it would be 3 huge core Canucks  players that would need contracts at the exact same time.

so plz no BB6 bridge deals.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, HockeyHarry said:

Can Canucks front load it ? so he makes the most of it , in the next few years before the EP40 and Quinn contracts get us squeezing the cap.

QH43 year counted and EP40 1st year so I guess both need signing at the same time.

a bridge BB6 deal would end at that time so it would be 3 huge core Canucks  players that would need contracts at the exact same time.

so plz no BB6 bridge deals.

It can’t be front loaded in terms of cap, the average annual value is used for the cap hit.  They take the tota salary and divide it by the number of years.

The attractiveness of the bridge deal is that it would sign Boeser at a smaller cap hit for the next 3-4 years (don’t pick 5 years, that takes him into free agency without buying any UFA years).

The cap crunch is in the first year of Petterson and Hughes next contracts when we have some expensive gets still on the books (we are looking at your Eriksson!).  Getting Boeser at $6 million instead of $7.5 million for that year helps a ton.  You have to pay a higher amount if you are buying UFA years on a longer term.

It is all a guessing game and risk vs. Reward.  Boeser will be playing with Petterson and will have higher point totals than he would earn with just an average centre... that could bit you on the butt for his next contract.  Boeser could end up being a 60 point per year guy, in which case signing him to an 8 year deal at $7.5-8 million per year is bad.  Boeser is close to his family so maybe he would leave as soon as he could if he had a bridge contract that took him close to free agency.

If we can exit from Eriksson this summer, and Boeser is willing to sign a max term deal at $7 million or under it is probably a good risk.

• Upvote 1

I think he is the real deal. He will improve as well. His groin injury held him back a lot. I’m sure he will recover and if he gets to that next level, he will command even more money. Sign him long term now. Give him a ten team no trade list and pay him 6-7million for 8 years. 

• Cheers 1