The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sens, Sharks Karlsson Deal..Who Won?

Rate this topic

8 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

So now there are rumblings the Karlssons would like to return to Ottawa? Hmm..be fine w/me!

Would make this whole episode, grand larceny for the Mighty Sens!

I guess anythings possible.... but man does that ever hurt the SJSs if he doesn't re-up. 

• Upvote 1

On 6/4/2019 at 10:55 AM, Nuxfanabroad said:

So now there are rumblings the Karlssons would like to return to Ottawa? Hmm..be fine w/me!

Would make this whole episode, grand larceny for the Mighty Sens!

Agreed. If the Sens somehow sign him on July 1st, this would be quite the epic move. Sens win the trade big time. They will still win the trade regardless if EK signs anywhere else that is not San Jose.

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, grandmaster said:

Agreed. If the Sens somehow sign him on July 1st, this would be quite the epic move. Sens win the trade big time. They will still win the trade regardless if EK signs anywhere else that is not San Jose.

Meanwhile, we have a veteran d-man who refused to waive his no trade clause. Could have played somewhere else for one season, helped the Canucks out. Then come back and get re-signed. But when you negotiate a NMC it's the players right not to be moved.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Could have played somewhere else for one season, helped the Canucks out.

He did help the Canucks out, he signed a NTC for less money than he otherwise would have been paid. This left cap room that the team could have used during Edler's  last contract.

15 hours ago, grandmaster said:

not so sure about that

maybe they resign ek to a 7 year massive deal (77 million)

and his injuries prove to be chronic

it is fairly high risk for any team to sign ek to a large deal

sens could negate the positives achieved when ek left

by signing him again to something that annoy melynk long term

if melynk is paying huge bucks to a limited player

he may require internal cap compliance which ek could really impact

as other younger players may have to be let go

Edited by coastal.view
  • Cheers 1

On 5/27/2019 at 4:13 PM, Dazzle said:

Where did you hear that he's not re-signing? Even Karlsson says he would like to stay but it depends on different factors (paraphrasing)

He would have signed by now if he was going to. 

There is absolutely no point walking around without signing.  He could trip and fall break a leg there goes 70 or 80 mill.

Of course no one besides EK knows for sure but safe to assume he doesn't want to stay in SJS

He played injured in playoffs. Why do that if he wanted to stay. Risked 10s of millions every time he got on ice. 

Reports that his wife misses OTT as she grew up there are out there as well. 

Maybe he goes MTL. 

Sjs seems less and less likely. 

On 5/27/2019 at 7:04 PM, D-Money said:

Sharks won. Sens could have got more, if they focused on quality over quantity. Norris is OK, but not a high-end prospect, and the rest are just depth guys and long-shots.

I'd say Brannstrom (who they got in the Stone deal) will end up worth more than the entire return for Karlsson.

How can you say this when the draft picks haven't been used yet?

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

How can you say this when the draft picks haven't been used yet?

You can go by the generally accepted values of the picks. 

Let's say Ottawa got a 1st overall for Karlsson. Total win for them, right? But then the guy busts, Yakupov style. Did they now lose the trade? Or is it just a bad pick?

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

You can go by the generally accepted values of the picks. 

Let's say Ottawa got a 1st overall for Karlsson. Total win for them, right? But then the guy busts, Yakupov style. Did they now lose the trade? Or is it just a bad pick?

Or the guy they pick is the next mid first round EK.    Point is, until the picks are used you cannot judge this trade at all.   Further, Ottawa actually is pretty good a drafting.

• Cheers 1

Too early to say how well Ottawa will have done - they got a decent measure of volume - Tierney is an under-rated young player imo, Norris is a solid prospect - Ottawa will have to draft (and develop) well.

From the Sharks end, they gambled on a rental - and lost. 

• Cheers 1

On 6/6/2019 at 10:01 AM, rekker said:

Sens. Simply because Chabot has filled the roster position beautifully. 

The circumstances worked out for them that way, not often that there's another ready-made top D-man.

Things also seemed to fall into place for them, seeing how the assets they acquired did pretty well:

Tierney became a 50 point guy, Norris should be a solid future asset, while DeMelo and Balcers could still improve, plus there's the early picks.

Ultimately, not to give Dorion any credit, but there's a chance they could luck out if Karlsson does go back.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wow..so EK stayed in SJ after all. Will be interesting to track his progress over the coming yrs, vs the 7 assets required to obtain him.

I can't imagine risking 8 yrs at 11.5 mill on a player(immense talent that he is) with a wobbly wheel.

In the end(3 or 4 yrs later, perhaps), hope we'll all agree the Snarks were fleeced.

• Wat 1

Just now, Nuxfanabroad said:

Wow..so EK stayed in SJ after all. Will be interesting to track his progress over the coming yrs, vs the 7 assets required to obtain him.

I can't imagine risking 8 yrs at 11.5 mill on a player(immense talent that he is) with a wobbly wheel.

In the end(3 or 4 yrs later, perhaps), hope we'll all agree the Snarks were fleeced.

On 3/17/2019 at 2:43 PM, Dazzle said:

Honestly, I don't think Karlsson will test UFA. He has a new family and recently suffered a lot of on-ice and off-ice drama. SJ is a fresh, new place for him and I just don't see him upsetting his current situation. I could be wrong of course.

That means Myers and Gardiner are left.

I remember for many years Gardiner was wanted to be traded by Toronto fans. I remember his brutal performance in the playoffs one year. I do think signing him will be a huge mistake, especially due to the fact that he won't come cheap. IMO, he's pretty overrated. PASS.

Myers is 29. He doesn't fit the Canucks plan.

I called this months ago, just saying.

Anyway, Karlsson won the deal. He got a 11.5 million contract for 8 years, living in an amazing hockey market that isn't too media crazy, while getting away from OTT.

• Cheers 2

• 11 months later...
On 5/28/2019 at 12:08 PM, Alflives said:

Sharks lost big time.  They pushed all their chips in, and their bluff got called.  They be due for a big fall off next season.  Might miss the playoffs too.  

Nice call, Alfer..but where ya at, laddie?

On 5/28/2019 at 12:10 PM, naslund.is.king said:

Erik Karlssons Wife

Had to give the delaaaayed +!