The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Aquilini's under fire for the mistreatment of migrant workers.

https://www.coastmountainnews.com/news/saddest-part-of-our-lives-guatemalan-workers-describe-aquilini-groups-b-c-farm/

https://twitter.com/AshDKelly/status/1133437056753971200

After reading this, I'm beyond disgusted, I think it's time to think twice before purchasing tickets to support this family. Such a shame. 

Edited by The Vancouver Connection
  • Upvote 2

I doubt the family had first hand knowledge of this considering the size of their holdings. If true they have liability here no doubt but the management are the ones who should be held accountable if proven to be criminal. 

Edited by Gnarcore
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Maybe you should read more about the issue and the attempted extortion by said workers.   Such a shame only one side of the story is being portrayed.    Alternative is this business doesn't have to employ people and pay them for the hours they worked.    

https://twitter.com/fr_aquilini/status/1130983997608157184/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1130983997608157184|twgr^363937393b70726f64756374696f6e&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.coastmountainnews.com%2Fnews%2Fsaddest-part-of-our-lives-guatemalan-workers-describe-aquilini-groups-b-c-farm%2F

Dude, you should get your facts straight as well.  The Acquilini group 'called' the settlement demand 'exhortative'. In other words that is their 'opinion/view' and not necessarily fact.   

• Upvote 3

This is why we have government people.   The letter by the Aquilini group contends that they don't think their interpretation of the work contract was incorrect, nonetheless they will abide by the decision.  They have also said they are addressing the safety and work conditions.  So in other words an admission that things were not up to standard.  

I have experienced far worse conditions tree planting - one shower for 40 people, no hot water, no warm food, paid at times lower than the minimum wage, 10-12 hour work days, no regular days off, non road worthy trucks.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, samurai said:

This is why we have government people.   The letter by the Aquilini group contends that they don't think their interpretation of the work contract was incorrect, nonetheless they will abide by the decision.  They have also said they are addressing the safety and work conditions.  So in other words an admission that things were not up to standard.  

I have experienced far worse conditions tree planting - one shower for 40 people, no hot water, no warm food, paid at times lower than the minimum wage, 10-12 hour work days, no regular days off, non road worthy trucks.

Contra proferentem would dictate if the contract was open to interpretation, the Aquilini's interpretation wasn't correct.  Their lawyer would have doubtlessly advised them of this.  

In non-legalese: it's up to the party who wrote the contract to remove any ambiguity from the contract.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Contra proferentem would dictate if the contract was open to interpretation, the Aquilini's interpretation wasn't correct.  Their lawyer would have doubtlessly advised them of this.  

In non-legalese: it's up to the party who wrote the contract to remove any ambiguity from the contract.

Definitely, cant expect the poor migrants workers to have the best legal minds helping them like the aqualinis do

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Right...because no one ever had the idea to extort from rich people.

I will reserve judgement...but there are always two sides.  And if you read the whole story, some may have come here with intentions to do more than work for a few months.  I guess the truth will come out and is likely somewhere in the middle.

the right thing to do here is wait for the facts and whatever legal actions come from this. 

• Upvote 2

Premier of Alberta Jason Kenney and his Neocon Conservative lapdogs were responsible for this unpopular TFW program. I recall back around 2014 it was probably the number one issue in the country as Harper's Conservatives were collapsing. 

The debate went something like this...

"Canadians losing their jobs so that TFWs can be hired, creating higher unemployment as more TFWs flood into Canada, keeping wages low in these industries, and reducing the job opportunities for summer students who need the jobs so they can afford to finish their education.

( I'm not gonna argue TFW's, I'm just saying it was very controversial then )

Typical wealthy greedy people,but of course they fined them 500 dollars,what a joke how about 500 thousand dollars, for abusive behavior towards workers in general.

These well educated wealthy people only care about money and there is NEVER ENOUGH. It's all about the greed,instead of sharing the wealth,they hoard it all for themselves those selfish B$%^ards.

I don't know what these universities and colleges are teaching these people but a bit of ethics and empathy and morals toward there fellow humans is sadly lacking,in the wealthy population.Just look how much the top CEO WAGES HAVE GONE UP IN THE LAST 30 YEARS IN COMPARISON TO THE MIDDLE CLASS WAGE EARNERS., YOU WILL PLAINLY SEE THE AMOUNT OF GREED IS JUST RAMPANT.

Edited by DADDYROCK

1 hour ago, DADDYROCK said:

Typical wealthy greedy people,but of course they fined them 500 dollars,what a joke how about 500 thousand dollars, for abusive behavior towards workers in general.

These well educated wealthy people only care about money and there is NEVER ENOUGH. It's all about the greed,instead of sharing the wealth,they hoard it all for themselves those selfish B$%^ards.

I don't know what these universities and colleges are teaching these people but a bit of ethics and empathy and morals toward there fellow humans is sadly lacking,in the wealthy population.Just look how much the top CEO WAGES HAVE GONE UP IN THE LAST 30 YEARS IN COMPARISON TO THE MIDDLE CLASS WAGE EARNERS., YOU WILL PLAINLY SEE THE AMOUNT OF GREED IS JUST RAMPANT.

IMO the main problem is in the middle class and their incompetence in wealth acclamation or earning potential.... 

The mindset of most of not all rich people is to try to amass as much assets as possible usually working in different fields/and or jobs; where as middle class plebs are entering fields that might have a good job title, but earn less than say a bus driver or some other blue collar field.. 

For example people would rather work as an accountant and be paid much less than say a janitor or other blue collar worker (plumber etc..) who could be paid more. I know someone personally who earns more money as a janitor than as a bank teller at the bank.. 

I blame the school system for brainwashing middle class children and parents into thinking being a doctors or engineer is the only option in life.. 

Edited by drummer4now
  • Upvote 1