The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 Canucks Summer Development Camp

cut.png

Vancouver, B.C. - The Vancouver Canucks announced today the schedule for their 2019 Development Camp, which will be held at UBC Father Bauer Arena from June 25-27th. The camp begins on Tuesday, June 25th and features on-ice skill practices and off-ice workouts each day, as well as a visit to BC Children's Hospital on Wednesday, June 26th.

The Development Camp roster will be released following the 2019 NHL Entry Draft held at Rogers Arena from June 20-21st. The roster will be comprised of players selected by Vancouver over the last several drafts as well as signed free agent prospects and undrafted free agents from collegiate, junior or European leagues.

Admission to all on-ice practices at UBC Father Bauer Arena are free for fans to attend.

The Canucks also confirmed today that Prospect Training Camp will take place at Rogers Arena from September 7-10th. Approximately 25 Canucks prospects are expected to attend and will participate in on-ice training sessions over four days. No games or scrimmages against other NHL teams are planned. More details for Prospect Training Camp will be announced at a later date.

2019 Canucks Development Camp schedule

Tuesday, June 25th

9:15 am - 10:05 am - Forwards on-ice practice

10:20 am - 11:05 am - Forwards and defenceman on-ice practice

11:20 am - 12:15 pm - Defenceman on-ice practice; general media availability for both groups to follow

Wednesday, June 26th

9:15 am - 10:05 am - Defencemen on-ice practice

11:20 am - 12:15 pm - Forwards on-ice practice; general media availability for both groups to follow

2:00 pm - Media and photo opportunity at BC Children's Hospital

Thursday, June 27th

9:15 am - 10:05 am - Forwards on-ice practice

11:20 am - 12:15 pm - Defenceman on-ice practice; general media availability for both groups to follow

*On-ice practice and media availability times are approximate and subject to change

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/news/vancouver-canucks-development-camp/c-307561516

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Quantum said:

Yeah, this was what I was thinking.

But -- I wonder if they're planning on holding it earlier because the draft is in town and most of the prospects will be here for it? Especially the ones we draft this year. No need to send them home only for them to return to Vancouver a week or two later. Might as well get it done when they're all here.

yes

2 hours ago, Quantum said:

But -- I wonder if they're planning on holding it earlier because the draft is in town and most of the prospects will be here for it? Especially the ones we draft this year. No need to send them home only for them to return to Vancouver a week or two later. Might as well get it done when they're all here.

Maybe they have some activities for all the prospects in town as well. Kind of a "remember how great our city is and look at the dump you're going to if you're drafted by Edmonton (or whoever)" and brainwash them a bit.

• Upvote 1

I know they got rid of the youngstars tourney, are they still having a prospect game? I think it would be great having a WHL or BCHL series of games to replace the youngstars. 

Giants, Royals, Express, Eagles, or Rivermen vs. the prospects? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Quantum said:

I am sure that this is the correct explanation -- the reason for having the development camp early is so that players drafted in 2019 can just stay in town. And it does make sense. Especially for guys from Europe, it is a long trip. This way, players can hang out in Vancouver for a few days--many with their parents-- and get a chance to enjoy the city before development camp. So that makes sense.

What I find disappointing is that no intra-squad game is scheduled. I am sure the players would enjoy playing in some sort of game or scrimmage, and certainly the fans always enjoy that. Even a 3-on-3 game or a no-hitting game would be fun for players and fans.

And it is also disappointing that prospects camp will not involve any games against prospects from other teams. We all know that the young stars tournament was cancelled, but there was talk of the Canucks going to Alberta to play prospect games against the Flames and Oilers prospects. From the point of view of fan interest I see no way to spin this in a positive light and even from a developmental point of view it is hard to see it as positive. 

According to Daniel Wagner (PITB), the reason given by the Canucks is that they won't have enough prospects (as opposed to invitees) at camp to justify playing prospect games.  (https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/no-prospect-games-for-canucks-as-they-announce-development-and-training-camps-1.23838392).

And maybe risk of injury is relevant in deciding against games or scrimmages at both development camp and at prospect camp. But sooner or later the prospects have to play games.

Edited by JamesB

On 5/29/2019 at 8:16 PM, JamesB said:

What I find disappointing is that no intra-squad game is scheduled.

Legal and logistical challenge plus what if you are drafting college players.   I am not 100% sure but I am willing to be there are strict CBA rules on these sorts of camps - inclusive of ways to allow activities without confused contractual status and impacting eligibility (e.g. NCAA) etc.    The Young Stars had participation rules and I can only imagine these would be even stricter.

• 4 weeks later...