The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elite Keeper League 2019/2020 -[4 GM Positions Available]

Relyt Krets

In other news, We are still looking to move out a 5 to 7 millioni dollar contract and may consider sweetening the deal with a young go getter as well. The package won't be free to a good home though, these are the awesome guys that got me to within a hair of the Stanley Cup Final and if I could I would keep them all and come back next year, but the cap says no, I have to move one or two. 

Call, email, smoke signal us....climb a telephone pole and give us a shout...reasonable offers will be replied to nicely, absurd ones may be ignored. 

Well it certainly took some time, a couple attempts and relenting on moving a blockbuster player to get done, but our cap woes for the coming season are solved and I managed to do it without breaking up my tandem in the paint. whew. Things are looking up finally since early July when a different deal with a different team went south fast when the players Clause waivers changed July 1st. That little gem won't hit me again as I will keep it in mind going forward. I think we have righted the ship and we can start to bail out the bilge, yay YOTES!

• Like 1

Trade.thumb.png.ded05bf56d39b5229b59822b7b02ed4c.png

To AZ.png.a5bfd528c3616e2ef19ac16171c2d1e4.png @Primal Optimist: Jake Walman, Boone Jenner (0.325M retention in 19-20, 1.55m retained for 20-21 and 1.25m retained in 21-22), 2020 5th, Conditional 2021 Vancouver 1st, Conditional Vancouver 2020/2021 3rd round pick

To VAN.png.c39c9f1d9f7d0fd83774b4c460b744f1.png @Jaku // @Salter: Jordan Staal (1.5M Retained for duration of contract), Sam Reinhart

*Conditions: 

2021 Vancouver 1st: Pick is top 10 protected,  so will become 2022 1st rounder if pick is top 10 in 2021

2021/2022 Vancouver 3rd: Should Vancouver reach the Conference Finals in any year before Arizona acquires the 1st round pick involved, then Arizona would also get a 3rd round pick in the draft following those Conference Finals. Vancouver may opt in any year to transfer the upcoming 1st round pick before the trade deadline to negate the possible FC 3rd including a 2020 1st.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

52 minutes ago, Tylez said:

Trade.thumb.png.ded05bf56d39b5229b59822b7b02ed4c.png

To AZ.png.a5bfd528c3616e2ef19ac16171c2d1e4.png @Primal Optimist: Jake Walman, Boone Jenner (0.325M retention in 19-20, 1.55m retained for 20-21 and 1.25m retained in 21-22), 2020 5th, Conditional 2021 Vancouver 1st, Conditional Vancouver 2020/2021 3rd round pick

To VAN.png.c39c9f1d9f7d0fd83774b4c460b744f1.png @Jaku // @Salter: Jordan Staal (1.5M Retained for duration of contract), Sam Reinhart

*Conditions: 

2021 Vancouver 1st: Pick is top 10 protected,  so will become 2022 1st rounder if pick is top 10 in 2021

2021/2022 Vancouver 3rd: Should Vancouver reach the Conference Finals in any year before Arizona acquires the 1st round pick involved, then Arizona would also get a 3rd round pick in the draft following those Conference Finals. Vancouver may opt in any year to transfer the upcoming 1st round pick before the trade deadline to negate the possible FC 3rd including a 2020 1st.

This was incredibly hard to do. Understatement. I got in a bit too deep with cap issues for next season, some of which was that I had internally planned on 2 million more cap next year than we all got. I think that shocked everyone, but compiled with how hard it ended up being to move the contract we planned to move this summer from the minute we drafted him, well, it compounded our cap situation in a very bad way. Learning pains also hampered our attempts to get compliant without selling out the core of the club in that once we finally got a deal for a star player on a bit high of a contract with limited move options..that deal had the rug pulled out from under it as it was finalized 3 days too late and the player had already submitted a new list of teams to the league head offices. That was my mistake in not checking when the list expired. Lesson Learned.

So now onto this deal. Whew. Wow. I have to first thank incredibly much to Jaku and Salter for spirited, lengthy and incredibly exhilarating discussions. Some light snafu's in registering the trade due a sheet error, but it is all sorted out and this is what we have concluded. My take on it is that "the best deals have both sides walking away unhappy". I am thrilled to have finalized this transaction but I am terribly sad to see these guys go to a rival. Bitter Sweet is an understatement.

Sam Reinhart is a fabulous player who is just 23!!!! His future is bright and long and his RL club has room to grow and so does he. I had planned on keeping him for a long long time and even though I would have had to pay handsomely next year when his contract expires..that was the plan all along. However...not being able to find cap relief the way we had planned from the start, we were forced to concede this 'not quite' franchise level player in order to move a different large contract in Jordan Staal. Jordan is no slouch either, and at the opposite end of his career than Sam. We all know Jordan Staal will have many more years to come and he literally just finished putting up 7 points in 14 playoff games (*from memory, might be off a little) and we know he will continue to be a game changing player whom we will miss absolutely along with Sam. 

The payoff for digging these two craters in my lineup is that we resolved our cap issues without having to blow up our dynamic netminding situation. I have mentioned it before no need to mention the plan again, but I love my netminding top to bottom and it looks like the plan there is on track and performing at a stellar level now that Raanta is back from injury. A side factor in the deal for me, that went unmentioned, was my wish to have at least one season of my initial netminding plan from rounds 2 and 3 of the inaugural draft. lol. This deal helped preserve that. 

Now, Mr. Boone Jenner coming back to us fills in one of those craters very nicely and he is a player we have liked for some time, always nice to get a guy you like on the ice every time you see him. 

We also addressed our need to build depth on D with Jake Walman coming in to shore up the minor league club's power play and work towards a CFL appearance and maybe even a full time gig. Topped that off with a 1st round pick and a 5th round pick to continue to stock the cupboards. There is a chance we get a 3rd round pick as well in case Van is sitting in the Conference Finals in either of the next two years with these two new studs coming on board. 

I am happy with the return, but I am fully aware the best players in the deal went the other way and we will have to answer to that in the dying days of this coming season as we compete directly with Salter and Jaku for a playoff spot. Even more drama may arise for this rivalry if we actually go head to head in the playoffs, that is if both of our clubs make the dance in a tough conference. 

I remain grateful to Vancouver's management for reaching out and starting with a simply query about Sam Reinhart's availability, even as I lament losing him. I am as always, conflicted. hahaha. End of the day I had to do it to get under and bring up my young guns waiting in the minors. 

Sincerely,

Primal Optimist. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/6/2019 at 2:26 PM, Primal Optimist said:

Trade.thumb.png.8c6a5c1f6a5ba7d8fb29ecd307fc2421.png

To  OTT.png.df97e1dde500161de5587f7ad3597269.png @Silver Ghost Vladimir Sobotka, Greg Pateryn, CBJ 2nd 2021

To CBJ.png.d34b3375d1d64490aca5885a7e2390a5.png @Tylez: Future Considerations

Future Considerations: 

If Vladimir Sobotka gets 20 goals in the 19-20 season, then CBJ gets OTT 5th 2021

@Tylez @canucklax

Just a heads up, this pick needs to be added to my spreadsheet. Thx!