The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Zaitsev --> VAN

I think his value is actually not that low, I don't think it is high but not that low either.

Yes toronto is a spot but a puck moving RHD who had 36 points in his rookie year has some value.  

If Gudbranson got us a useful player with a similar contract there is likely a market for this guy.

He wouldn't be a terrible piece for us, not a great one either although I think I would rather see Schenn back in the 6/7 spot.  

Assuming Tanev is coming back and we know Stecher is I don't see the fit.  

Then again when Tanev is your number one right D you know you need someone else who can play in the top two pairing for 40 games a year or so.

Yes, I`m assuming TOR would like to trade Zaitsev and his 5-year $4.5 million contract and take back prospects and picks (so they don`t have to pay them yet). In no way would I want to help TOR with their cap issues, so any trade with them would need to be heavily in the Canucks favour. I don`t see TOR getting fleeced again by VAN (Carcone for Leivo), and they`ll probably deal Zaitsev to another sucker...I mean team. My guess EDM. 

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

When you are willing to take on someone else's useless, overpaid, cap-dump of a player - THEY are supposed to throw in the sweetener, not us. 

Yeah.

Which is why they take our deal over a team demanding more.

Its a softball offer

The deal pends on Tryamkin willing to return. I believe he will never play for us again.

TML willing to play Sutter 2 year with whatever cap retention over Zaitsev 

With an Active NTC for like 5

Im not a fan of Torontos failures. (leivo wasnt a failure. A success. Too many players. Have to move one)

Would rather trade for forwards and sign Depth D and draft a defensemen every round.

Edited by HughMungus

2 hours ago, Fanuck said:

When you are willing to take on someone else's useless, overpaid, cap-dump of a player - THEY are supposed to throw in the sweetener, not us. 

Not worth enough to take a gamble. Prefer to wait and see what shakes out in the first month of the season. Benning has 2 D in Utica and signed 2 college free agents.

Add Joulevi to the group. Hughes has played both sides in college and did the same at Worlds. All this said I am still hoping for a summer deal to move Tanev. Benning might be thinking he can get more value for Tanev moving him during the season. 

24 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Not worth enough to take a gamble. Prefer to wait and see what shakes out in the first month of the season. Benning has 2 D in Utica and signed 2 college free agents.

Add Joulevi to the group. Hughes has played both sides in college and did the same at Worlds. All this said I am still hoping for a summer deal to move Tanev. Benning might be thinking he can get more value for Tanev moving him during the season. 

Don't get me wrong, I am totally against taking other GM's idiotic mistakes - just pointing out that when those types of deals do take place, the 'dumping' team typically gives the 'extras', not the receiving team.  That's all. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, The_Rocket said:

LE for Zaitsev otherwise no deal

Toronto would have zero reason to do this.  Their primary purpose for getting rid of Zaitsev would be to clear cap space.

What about this:

Sutter

Tanev

2019 1st

William Lockwood

for 

Nylander

Zaitsev

Kadri

Leafs would save 8-10 million in cap here (can someone reading this please do the math?  I cNt access capgeek, etc. in China right now).

Edited by Hindustan Smyl
  • Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Hindustan Smyl said:

Toronto would have zero reason to do this.  Their primary purpose for getting rid of Zaitsev would be to clear cap space.

What about this:

Sutter

Tanev

2019 1st

William Lockwood

for 

Nylander

Zaitsev

Kadri

Leafs would save 8-10 million in cap here (can someone reading this please do the math?  I cNt access capgeek, etc. in China right now).

Take out our 2019 first and Kadri.  

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Chasing a white whale usually leads to destruction. 

Sort of like Khan seeking vengeance against Kirk at all costs. 

“It is very cold in spaaaaace!!!!!!”

k, back to the topic.  Not sure Zaitsev is who we want to target.  We need to go bigger this year.  Zaitsev is a fall back plan but that won’t work either because  Toronto will want him gone at the draft.  I say we move along.

• Upvote 1

How about Zaitsev and Nylander for Hutton and Virtanen? Toronto gets some cap relief and maintains some bench strength on D, and we get a serviceable RHD (hopefully) and a scoring winger. I can just see it now - the Swedish Connection (Petterson and Nylander).

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, 2021Contender said:

How about Zaitsev and Nylander for Hutton and Virtanen? Toronto gets some cap relief and maintains some bench strength on D, and we get a serviceable RHD (hopefully) and a scoring winger. I can just see it now - the Swedish Connection (Petterson and Nylander).

This is actually a pretty good fit for both. Personally don’t want to give up Virtanen so I’d look for a substitute (Lind, Gadjovich, Lockwood plus maybe a pick) but fair value.  To be honest I think Nylander is a good target overall.  Helps Toronto out with cap too.  

Fir it all the talk of Nylander being a regular season performer, we need that too to make the playoffs.  Players progress from being regular season performers to playoff performers once they get a sense of it.  I think we all forget that Nylander is young.