The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Zaitsev --> VAN

On 6/1/2019 at 11:04 AM, Kobayashi Maru said:

This is actually a pretty good fit for both. Personally don’t want to give up Virtanen so I’d look for a substitute (Lind, Gadjovich, Lockwood plus maybe a pick) but fair value.  To be honest I think Nylander is a good target overall.  Helps Toronto out with cap too.  

Fir it all the talk of Nylander being a regular season performer, we need that too to make the playoffs.  Players progress from being regular season performers to playoff performers once they get a sense of it.  I think we all forget that Nylander is young.

Nylander is a regular season performer? I saw him sitting out for a good chunk of the year. I’ve seen him jump out of the way of pucks, float around and act entitled. I’m a big fan of the type of players the Canucks are drafting lately. Character players on and off the ice. If you are too good to sign a deal with the leafs and join your team I don’t want you. I know he has skill, and bet he will put up much better numbers next year but still don’t want him. Same reason I wouldn’t want Marchand on this team. 100 point player 0 point person. I’d rather lose with a group I respect than win with slime. Just my $.02 but I would rather leave the leafs with their cap problems than take on Nylanders overhyped over paid ass. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Amebushi said:

Nylander is a regular season performer? I saw him sitting out for a good chunk of the year. I’ve seen him jump out of the way of pucks, float around and act entitled. I’m a big fan of the type of players the Canucks are drafting lately. Character players on and off the ice. If you are too good to sign a deal with the leafs and join your team I don’t want you. I know he has skill, and bet he will put up much better numbers next year but still don’t want him. Same reason I wouldn’t want Marchand on this team. 100 point player 0 point person. I’d rather lose with a group I respect than win with slime. Just my $.02 but I would rather leave the leafs with their cap problems than take on Nylanders overhyped over paid ass. 

Last year was a write off but I bet he’ll be a regular 60 point player.  We could use that.  As he matures I bet he will be more grounded.  Typically with offensive players you will get some swagger/attitude and that’s not the worst thing unless it’s targetted within the team which I doubt will happen.  I saw the double flamingo vid too but are there several of them or just one that went viral on here.  Don’t want a team of all Nylanders but I think he would make us better.

On 5/31/2019 at 5:17 AM, Desert-Canuck said:

This is Benning's "white whale" - a right handed puck moving dman!
He is not the ideal RH dman, but he should be cheap considering the spot Toronto is in.

I'd trade an ok prospect (like a Linus Karlsson) and a late pick (6th/7th)

Toronto is going to want a heck of a lot more than that.

I hope Benning stays away from Zaitsev but I do have my concerns.   To me, Zaitsev just seems lazy and error prone.  

On 5/30/2019 at 2:17 PM, Desert-Canuck said:

This is Benning's "white whale" - a right handed puck moving dman!
He is not the ideal RH dman, but he should be cheap considering the spot Toronto is in.

I'd trade an ok prospect (like a Linus Karlsson) and a late pick (6th/7th)

Benning will be fired if he acquires this plug

• Upvote 1

On 6/5/2019 at 8:53 PM, Hindustan Smyl said:

Toronto is going to want a heck of a lot more than that.

I hope Benning stays away from Zaitsev but I do have my concerns.   To me, Zaitsev just seems lazy and error prone.  

Seriously. I think they will be lucky to unload Zaitsev without taking any salary back. They will also likely have to attach a sweetener. Pure cap dump imo.

• Cheers 1

I say we offer a 7th rounder (maybe a depth player or prospect instead) in exchange for Marleau, Zaitsev and the rights to Kapanen. Toronto can't keep both Kapanen and Johnsson and we basically solve all of Toronto's cap issues with this trade.

On the surface, this may look like we are fleecing Toronto (and maybe my value is off. I'd be willing to compensate more) but you have to take into account the value 10.75m in cap space it gives to Toronto. They can sign Marner, Johnsson, Hainsey, another Dman and still have room to spare.

On ‎6‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 12:56 PM, Hindustan Smyl said:

Yeah.......I hope we stay away from Zaitsev at all costs.   Too much term, too many errors.

Horton + Liljegren seems doable in my opinion.  We give up a pick of some kind.

Why would they do that 

Horton helps their cap space

I like the idea of trading for Zaitsev.  He plays big, and is defensively reliable. Not a star by any means, but would be an upgrade over Biega.  I think that Zaitsev would be a big factor in Tryamkin wanting to return to Vancouver too.  

Toronto will not want to sweeten the deal to move Zaitsev.  Once Marleau is gone, so is they're cap concerns.  

Toronto was already weak at RD, and if they move Zaitsev they will be even weaker.  Their asking price will be for a RD.

I would bet the asking price for Zaitsev would be Stecher....  Which should be a hard NO from Van.   I don't actually see much of a compromise deal here either.  

A Zaitsev trade is probably better suited to another team like Carolina.