The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NDP set to unveil $15-billion climate plan that would slash greenhouse gas emissions

thejazz97

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

So everything is scientific with you. I get it now. Smart in one area but can't comprehend outside of science.

perhaps if you'd had the 'hard mode' education in sciences as a kid, like i did, you'd see that scientific objective validity is far more relevant than emotive ideological assumptions ( such as all subjects being equally hard). 

1 minute ago, canuckistani said:

perhaps if you'd had the 'hard mode' education in sciences as a kid, like i did, you'd see that scientific objective validity is far more relevant than emotive ideological assumptions ( such as all subjects being equally hard). 

No. I don't think that would be the case.

Damn, did you just break your arm @@@@@@@ yourself off to that one

7 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

LOL. Funnily enough i've spent almost as much time in the soft-skills of people management as hard science skills in my career. you are talking to a 40-something man, not a young adult. 

Oh god, you're one of those managers people hate....

(Unless if you are totally different in real life which I hope so)

Edited by The Lock

8 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Oh god, you're one of those managers people hate....

(Unless if you are totally different in real life which I hope so)

People skills are quite different soft skills than learning how to make noise or splash paint that people like. Surely you must know that. 

Just now, canuckistani said:

People skills are quite different soft skills than learning how to make noise or splash paint that people like. Surely you must know that. 

I do. I've managed people before too.

I also have the softskill of knowing how people react to egos. This thread is a prime example of that. Therefore, I have a pretty good idea just from this thread of what kind of manager you likely are, especially from you bleeding your ideals all over this thread. It's also likely not what you think you are as a manager, nor, will you ever believe unless if some major life event happened that changed you and actually make you see your faults.

• Cheers 1

I do. I've managed people before too.

I also have the softskill of knowing how people react to egos. This thread is a prime example of that.

Its ironic that standing firm on the basis of objective evidence is 'ego-ism'. 

Therefore, I have a pretty good idea just from this thread of what kind of manager you likely are, especially from you bleeding your ideals all over this thread. It's also likely not what you think you are as a manager, nor, will you ever believe unless if some major life event happened that changed you and actually make you see your faults.

Being a good manager & the soft skill it takes, certainly does not involve buying into the idea that all ideas are equal or that all subjects are equally hard or any such. Maybe YOU should check your ego at the door to try and extrapolate what kind of a manager a person is or isn't from discussing the importance of arts vs math for high school education over the internet. But then again, you do sound like a young person who is quick to judge people and weak to judge ideas. 

21 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

And which if the character is Star Trek makes the better captain:  the logical Spok, or the feeling Kirk?  Human beings are creatures driven by feelings.  Do we vote by logic?  No.  Do we choose our spouse by logic?  No.  Is love logical?  No.  If we were completely logical our species would have died out long ago.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, wiseupsucker said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA seriously!!! Dude!! HAHAHA

OMG!!!!

I've never seen a bigger ego...GTFO!!! You are pun'king right?

I have no idea what this means, but it sounds funny.  :frantic:

Just now, Alflives said:

And which if the character is Star Trek makes the better captain:  the logical Spok, or the feeling Kirk?

Dunno,since Spock was never really the captain. Its like asking who'd make the better engineer- Spock or Scotty - we don't know either. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Human beings are creatures driven by feelings.

Sure. But we are also drven by reason & rationale. In fact i can say that we are one of the very few creatures that are driven by rationale and reasoning while vast majority of animal kingdom are driven by feelings. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Do we vote by logic?  No.

Err, i certainly do. Which is why i don't have party loyalty, i have policy loyalty. Those candidates who better represent my policies get my vote, which is why I've cast a vote for all 3 major parties in both Federal and Provincial elections at one point or another. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Do we choose our spouse by logic?  No.  Is love logical?  No.  If we were completely logical our species would have died out long ago.  

and if we were NOT a species that prioritized logic & reason, we'd still be a crappier version of a raccoon species scavenging & occasionally hunting to survive. Our brain size is the biggest in body to brain ratio of the animal kingdom is because we prioritized reasoning as a species, not random emotive behavior. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, wiseupsucker said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA seriously!!! Dude!! HAHAHA

OMG!!!!

I've never seen a bigger ego...GTFO!!! You are pun'king right?

Ironic that I have the bigger ego apparently but you are the one yet to prove what you've been asked to re: nonsensical thoughts. Still waiting. Crickets. 

Edited by canuckistani

Its ironic that standing firm on the basis of objective evidence is 'ego-ism'. 

Being a good manager & the soft skill it takes, certainly does not involve buying into the idea that all ideas are equal or that all subjects are equally hard or any such. Maybe YOU should check your ego at the door to try and extrapolate what kind of a manager a person is or isn't from discussing the importance of arts vs math for high school education over the internet. But then again, you do sound like a young person who is quick to judge people and weak to judge ideas. 

If you gave your opinion of math being more important and ONLY gave such an opinion while considering other's opinions, that would have been something else. The conversation would have been different; however, instead, you came across as condescending. I'm assuming that you've had a good life and you've probably done well for yourself. That's great, but not all of us have had a good life. I'm in my 30's and back at university. I've had a crappy life so far and working to get it back on track. I've likely seen different parts of life than what you will ever see.

You come across as thinking you are better than everyone else. And this is not me being quick to judge. This is based on many threads over a period of months, maybe even years now of posts I've seen from you. Believe me (you won't). This is no quick judgment. I'm telling you how I'm seeing it and, as expected and proof of my previous post, you are simply not going to see it. It's what I expected and pretty much solidifies what I think.

• Cheers 1

Ironic that I have the bigger ego apparently but you are the one judging people's ability at work in interpersonal skills based on a debate about high school education while thoroughly derailing the thread. 

Honestly, I'm not sure that's ironic, but could you explain?

Dunno,since Spock was never really the captain. Its like asking who'd make the better engineer- Spock or Scotty - we don't know either. 

Sure. But we are also drven by reason & rationale. In fact i can say that we are one of the very few creatures that are driven by rationale and reasoning while vast majority of animal kingdom are driven by feelings. 

Err, i certainly do. Which is why i don't have party loyalty, i have policy loyalty. Those candidates who better represent my policies get my vote, which is why I've cast a vote for all 3 major parties in both Federal and Provincial elections at one point or another. 

and if we were NOT a species that prioritized logic & reason, we'd still be a crappier version of a raccoon species scavenging & occasionally hunting to survive. Our brain size is the biggest in body to brain ratio of the animal kingdom is because we prioritized reasoning as a species, not random emotive behavior. 

Spok was Captain.  He was just not good at it.  

We means us, you know, people collectively.

peoples’ feelings are what drive us to get to the top.

logic and reason are tools, but not driving forces. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Spok was Captain.  He was just not good at it.  

We means us, you know, people collectively.

peoples’ feelings are what drive us to get to the top.

logic and reason are tools, but not driving forces. 

There couldn't be any more truth to this. Well said.

Even canuckistani, while he might not see it, used drive to get where he is. Degrees and careers come from persistence, not smarts.

• Upvote 1