The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NDP set to unveil $15-billion climate plan that would slash greenhouse gas emissions

thejazz97

3 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

So enjoy the view for a brief period of time because you chose to live off of daddy's credit card ( nature's largesses) than develop your own skill. With this attitude, Canada won't be a Germany or a Japan ever. 

We agree. 

7 minutes ago, canuckistani said:

So enjoy the view for a brief period of time because you chose to live off of daddy's credit card ( nature's largesses) than develop your own skill. With this attitude, Canada won't be a Germany or a Japan ever. 

Only thing I want to point out here is that in Japan, school is on hard mode, even at a young age. There's a reason why we'll never be like that and it goes well beyond laziness.

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Only thing I want to point out here is that in Japan, school is on hard mode, even at a young age. There's a reason why we'll never be like that and it goes well beyond laziness.

well school being on hard more vs easy mode is a commentary on social hard work or lazyness.

I remember when i went to school, outside Canada, there was no such thing as part marks in math. As the teacher put it ' there is no half right or half wrong in math & sciences. You are either 100% right and you built a solid bridge or you screwed up, built 1 pylon wrong outta 100 - which is 99% perfect- and still ended up collapsing the bridge and killing people'. 

Just now, canuckistani said:

well school being on hard more vs easy mode is a commentary on social hard work or lazyness.

I remember when i went to school, outside Canada, there was no such thing as part marks in math. As the teacher put it ' there is no half right or half wrong in math & sciences. You are either 100% right and you built a solid bridge or you screwed up, built 1 pylon wrong outta 100 - which is 99% perfect- and still ended up collapsing the bridge and killing people'. 

I get what you are saying, and it certainly would be pertinent for engineering (and even my current degree in computer science to an extent). However, most people don't have to worry about those consequences on their decision making, so is it fair to expect them to have such burdens in the end? Imagine if you had to pick a random person off the street to make those kind of decisions? lol

Yet, you still have catastrophes that happen in Asia from engineering despite all of this unfortunately. Just shows that no one is ever perfect.

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

I get what you are saying, and it certainly would be pertinent for engineering (and even my current degree in computer science to an extent). However, most people don't have to worry about those consequences on their decision making, so is it fair to expect them to have such burdens in the end? Imagine if you had to pick a random person off the street to make those kind of decisions? lol

It is fair, because the point of education is to also train your brain to be competent at something. Being competent at math leads to not just applications in engineering, but also being competent at analyzing any given situation.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, canuckistani said:

It is fair, because the point of education is to also train your brain to be competent at something. Being competent at math leads to not just applications in engineering, but also being competent at analyzing any given situation.

But not everyone has the same type of brain, not necessarily because of smarts but because there are different kinds of personalities. This is why you have people who are more creative than others. There are legitimately people out there who don't think in terms of math. While learning some math still is good, if they aren't going to use that math afterwards because they want a career that has nothing to do with math then what's the point of math after a certain point? The rewards are logarithmic at that point.

This can even be proven through science itself. Take artificial intelligence for example: a decision tree. It's all based on probabilities and training data helps the machine to learn those probabilities; however, there comes a point where having more training data doesn't really help at all (unless if you provide it with better training data which in that case it almost would be better to start from scratch lol).

Just now, The Lock said:

But not everyone has the same type of brain, not necessarily because of smarts but because there are different kinds of personalities. This is why you have people who are more creative than others. There are legitimately people out there who don't think in terms of math. While learning some math still is good, if they aren't going to use that math afterwards because they want a career that has nothing to do with math then what's the point of math after a certain point? The rewards are logarithmic at that point.

Sure, but everyone has the ability to get better at something by doing ti more and more. Practice makes perfect, remember ? 

Using math is not about careers only, as i said. Its mostly about having the rational ability to make decisions and improving rational capacities. 

Just now, The Lock said:

This can even be proven through science itself. Take artificial intelligence for example: a decision tree. It's all based on probabilities and training data helps the machine to learn those probabilities; however, there comes a point where having more training data doesn't really help at all (unless if you provide it with better training data which in that case it almost would be better to start from scratch lol).

Sure, but I'd say that in my experience, the average westerner is far less rational these days than the avereage non-westerner precisely due to this lesser focus on math. 

1 minute ago, canuckistani said:

Sure, but everyone has the ability to get better at something by doing ti more and more. Practice makes perfect, remember ? 

Using math is not about careers only, as i said. Its mostly about having the rational ability to make decisions and improving rational capacities. 

Sure, but I'd say that in my experience, the average westerner is far less rational these days than the avereage non-westerner precisely due to this lesser focus on math. 

Depends on what kind of math you are talking about. How many people, for example, would even need to use matrices in their daily lives? Or know about integrals and derivatives? Monads? Curious, where would you consider the line to be between what people "should" learn with math?

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Depends on what kind of math you are talking about. How many people, for example, would even need to use matrices in their daily lives? Or know about integrals and derivatives? Monads? Curious, where would you consider the line to be between what people "should" learn with math?

Hes feeding off you and alf. 

Its like that simpsons halloween episode...just dont look. 

Save yourself the headache. 

Just now, The Lock said:

Again, need to use is irrelevant benchmark when the objective is to build greater rational capacity. I hardly ever use insanely complex algebraic reductions in my entire tenure as an engineer- especially the crazy looking ones i learnt in grade 10 trig ( the ones that take 3 lines to write the initial expression alone!). But it helped a lot in developing analytical skills. 

The line i draw, is every highschool grad should at the very least be a master of triginometry, basic algebra ( which means reducing almost any algebraic equation that do not involve special functions) and know virtually all of basic geometry, while knowing the basics of differential and integral calculus ( ie, fundamental theorem of calculus, differentiation and integration prior to double or triple integrals). 

Just now, MystifyNCrucify said:

Hes feeding off you and alf. 

Its like that simpsons halloween episode...just dont look. 

Save yourself the headache. 

I don't think he's trolling, but I don't think everyone should learn to be rocket scientists either (even though rocket science is 1st year university stuff somewhat these days lol)

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I don't think he's trolling, but I don't think everyone should learn to be rocket scientists either (even though rocket science is 1st year university stuff somewhat these days lol)

Nah hes not trolling. 

Hes just extremely prejudiced against north americans and bitter about having to live in canada. 

And pompous and arrogant. 

Edited by MystifyNCrucify
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Jokes work better when you dont have to explain them. 

Start with knock knock jokes. There there lil buddy youll get it one day

I dunno, sometimes good jokes are a slow burn. you being a bit upset allowed me to put 'saltiness' into the convo with a double meaning..... Not just the pairing of tears with Oil, but triggered attitude you seem to display.