The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Tyler Myers and Jake Gardiner

NOPE!        65306819_nodeal-001.jpg.1ee0fcf4116762820cafd60aeb43fd17.jpg

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

The knee jerks will be toxic regardless of what happens. I'm going to save my judgement until I see the on ice product. 

you haven't see either of these guys play? 

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Stralman from the UFA class - otherwise an alternative short term, moderate cap option.

Barring a Karlsson signing, Stralman should be the target. Gardiner and Myers have buyout written all over them. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Sbriggs said:

Neither, I would go via trade to upgrade our defense

I sure hope you're right. Myers is a 2nd pairing defenseman on the 2nd half of his career, so likely approaching decline if not already declining. The same can be said about Gardiner and he has some troubling injuries that he's dealing with. I would potentially roll the dice with Karlsson given his ceiling but his injury history is probably the most troubling of all the UFA dmen. 

In a perfect world, I'd like to see JB draft the best forward available with the 10 OA pick this year and then look at packaging Hutton and our 2020 1st for a true young up and coming top 4 defenseman (or Trouba). Add Juolevi and Woo to the mix and maybe Tryamkin next year, suddenly our D has some depth. Not to mention all the defensemen we currently have down in Utica and in college. Odds are at least 1 of the bunch ends up our next Troy Stetcher or Chris Tanev. 

Edited by VIC_CITY
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, VIC_CITY said:

I sure hope you're right. Myers is a 2nd pairing defenseman on the 2nd half of his career, so likely approaching decline if not already declining. The same can be said about Gardiner and he has some troubling injuries that he's dealing with. I would potentially roll the dice with Karlsson given his ceiling but his injury history is probably the most troubling of all the UFA dmen. 

In a perfect world, I'd like to see JB draft the best forward available with the 10 OA pick this year and then look at packing Hutton and our 2020 1st for a true young up and coming top 4 defenseman (or Trouba). Add Juolevi and Woo to the mix and maybe Tryamkin next year, suddenly our D has some depth. Not to mention all the defensemen we currently have down in Utica and in college. Odds are at least 1 of the bunch ends up our next Troy Stetcher or Chris Tanev. 

I like your thinking, and agree with all, but it would take alot more to get Trouba - and that's assuming he agrees to an extension prior. No way do we give up Hutton and our first for a rental when we're not even a legit playoff contender yet. Apparently he wants to play in the USA, so not sure getting him works, and if he agrees, he would cost more than that, and I'm not sure its worth it.

1 hour ago, Alain Vigneault said:

I'd take Gardiner and Myers over a dude like McQuaid, who you just know Benning would be all over.

Toronto fans were/have been pooing on Gardiner for years. 18W who beat me to this post provides even more context. He is decent offensively but defensively, he is worse than Sbisa was (and he wasn't even that bad).

I swear to god... people are going to REGRET Gardiner, unless they need a scapegoat. He's going to be eaten alive in Vancouver, quote me.

1 hour ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I live in Toronto, and watch the leafs alot. Gardiner is a tire fire in his own end. Excellent point producer but Marky is going to be throwing his stick at him. Hard Pass. I am a fan of Myers, he's RD, big, and pretty mobile. He's not a number one but he will take alot of pressure of Tanev and is better than a bottom pair Dman. The only reason he's bottom pair in the Peg is because Buff and Trouba are ahead of him, arguably two #1 dmen in their own right.

He'd solidify our second paring, play him with Hughes, and we've got some depth finally. Neither player solves both our issues, lack of strong dmen and offensive dmen, but Myers is a better DMAN than Gardiner will ever be and is a decent point producer and can jump into the offense.He's only 29, a 6 year deal isn't that bad, and a player like him will be needed for the next run, he'll be a vet and will stabilize as Edler has for many years.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Toronto fans were literally pooing Gardiner for years. 18W who beat me to this post provides even more context. He is decent offensively but defensively, he is worse than Sbisa was (and he wasn't even that bad).

I'm from Toronto.  I know the buzz around him and I know his capabilities.

I'm saying I'd take him over McQuaid.

I literally highlighted that he was the wrong target just the post before the one you quoted :P

• Cheers 1

Interesting...……...

Hughes(19)...……...Myers(29)

Gardiner(28)...…….Stecher(25)

Hutton(26)...……….Tanev(29)

Juolevi(21)...……….Beiga(31)

Rathbone(20)...……Woo(18)

Sautner(25)…….......Tryamkin(25)

Brisebois(21)............2019 (2nd)

- Trade rights of Edler to ? for a conditional 4th, changes to a 2nd, if he signs

- Trade Hutton at the Trade Deadline (Jan. 1st, 2020)

- Trade Tanev at the Trade deadline (Jan. 1st, 2020)

Canuck Defense completely overhauled, as Benning said

No signings with NTC's