The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who will we lose?

Rate this topic

iceman64

Another expansion looms right in the middle of our rebuild and it affects trades and signings that have a ripple affect as every team will suffer losing someone but for those reading not familiar with expansion it goes like so..

Rules. The initial proposal of therules for thedraft were decided upon by the NHL in March 2016. They allowed each team to either protect seven forwards, three defensemen, and one goaltender or, one goaltender and eight skaters regardless of position.

so thoughts on who to protect and what players you want to see traded for this year to improve the team but who does that leave open to possibly losing?

I love the discussions/speculations  on trades but where it comes into play for us especially is if we get that top six forward then we have a dilemma of whose left over after our top guys are protected but at the end of the day i think we stand to lose a Dman if benning protects our top 2 lines of forwards if he can pull off a trade and keep our current picks and use them for D to cover a loss.

so who do you think we'll lose and how do you trade this year knowing your going to lose someone if your GMJB? 

p.s. i think the rules are b.s. 

i'd change it to if a team didn't make the playoff's the previous year they'd be exempt.

Edited by iceman64

It's so hard to predict who we will lose when the expansion draft isn't for two more years.  So many players will come and go between now and then.

33 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

p.s. i think the rules are b.s. 

i'd change it to if a team didn't make the playoff's the previous year they'd be exempt.

As for being exempt, each team (except Vegas) are recieving a big chunk of change for that one player.  They seem to be pretty happy with that exchange.

• Upvote 1

I'm sure the Canucks are looking at the future and expansion, and have an idea who they will protect. If there is a chance we lose a goalie or one of our better players, wouldn't it make sense to trade those players for assets? (picks, prospects, etc) The longer they wait to make trades, the tougher it'll be as they move closer to the expansion draft. Other teams won't want players added, for fear of losing them for nothing.

(eg) Trade Demko and Tanev for a 1st this year. Sign a veteran backup for Markstrom, while DiPietro develops. DiPietro eventually takes over as backup, and wouldn't be eligible for that draft.  

Protect - Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Virtanen, Gaudette, Hughes, Juolevi, Tryamkin, Markstrom

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm sure the Canucks are looking at the future and expansion, and have an idea who they will protect. If there is a chance we lose a goalie or one of our better players, wouldn't it make sense to trade those players for assets? (picks, prospects, etc) The longer they wait to make trades, the tougher it'll be as they move closer to the expansion draft. Other teams won't want players added, for fear of losing them for nothing.

(eg) Trade Demko and Tanev for a 1st this year. Sign a veteran backup for Markstrom, while DiPietro develops. DiPietro eventually takes over as backup, and wouldn't be eligible for that draft.  

Protect - Pettersson, Boeser, Horvat, Virtanen, Gaudette, Hughes, Juolevi, Tryamkin, Markstrom

You don't need to protect Hughes or Tryamkin as they are exempt.

https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft/seattle

• Upvote 1

With the players on our current roster I would probably protect the following 7 forwards

Boeser

Horvat

Virtanen

Pettersson

Gaudette

MacEwen

Lind

The following 3 d-men

Juolevi

Stetcher

Brisebois

1 goalie

Demko

Arguably, you will lose your 12th most valuable player in the draft and I would not make any trades to protect any other players.

The only thing I can predict is that we will not be in the same position as last time. Our team has more value this time; thus, it won't just be Gaunce and Sbisa for pickings. We might have to do a deal to keep certain players. At least we have time to plan for it and adjust our roster accordingly.

16 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

To Seattle: 2020 2nd round pick

To Vancouver: Future Consideration

Future Consideration turns out to be, Seattle selects Eriksson in the expansion draft.

Assuming we have the cap space available at that time, I think I would prefer to buy out Loui and retain our 2nd round pick. That would give us a $4M cap hit for the 21/22 season and a $1M cap hit the following season. Let's hope there is another compliance buyout with the next CBA so we don't have to concern ourselves with this decision.

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/loui-eriksson/2021-06-15

Edited by Rick Blight

39 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

You don't need to protect Hughes or Tryamkin as they are exempt.

https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft/seattle

With that site, it actually wasn't that difficult to come up with a reasonable list and obviously any players we draft from here on out will be exempt anyway.

Unless if we go crazy with certain signings, we'll probably just be fine.

• Cheers 1