The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on SN 650 (6/5/2019)

Rate this topic

HerrDrFunk

Haha, I was waiting for the recorded version before i was going to post. 

I'm happy to see us involved in all these free agency rumors. Jimbo confirming that he wants top 4 D and top 6 forwards is a great thing. We've finished the hardest part of a rebuild in establishing a new core; it's time to add to that and push for a playoff spot. 

I was surprised RE his Eriksson comments. Both in that he hasn't talked to him yet, and is telling the media he will. We'll see if anything comes of it, if Eriksson really believes he's better suited elsewhere maybe we can avoid the signing bonus and mutually terminate. One can hope. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Ossi Vaananen said:

Haha, I was waiting for the recorded version before i was going to post. 

I'm happy to see us involved in all these free agency rumors. Jimbo confirming that he wants top 4 D and top 6 forwards is a great thing. We've finished the hardest part of a rebuild in establishing a new core; it's time to add to that and push for a playoff spot. 

I was surprised RE his Eriksson comments. Both in that he hasn't talked to him yet, and is telling the media he will. We'll see if anything comes of it, if Eriksson really believes he's better suited elsewhere maybe we can avoid the signing bonus and mutually terminate. One can hope. 

Only way mutual termination is happening is after his bonus is paid. And even that's a long shot. I'm sure Benning will attempt to trade him 1st (also likely after his bonus is paid).

• Upvote 2

Just now, Vanuckles said:

Eriksson getting a scolding this week like a child (acting like one too)... I have a feeling he's gonzo this summer.

Love to dump Loui.  How the heck can we?  I can only think of sending him to Utica.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Here it comes guys:

Tanev + Jake for Zaitsev + Marleau + Nylander.

I really don't want to lose Jake, but this seems like the deal would end up making. Not sure how I feel about it though. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Noticed that JB (was it yesterday?) said he will not trade his top young guys.  He mentioned all the top guys, but not Jake.  

I mean he has shown a good tendency to move on from his mistakes

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Only way mutual termination is happening is after his bonus is paid. And even that's a long shot. I'm sure Benning will attempt to trade him 1st (also likely after his bonus is paid).

Don't think it's possible if he intends to stay in the NHL.  Eriksson would have earned 27M over 3 years - i.e. an average of 9M but the cap hit was only 6M.  

Would be too easy for teams to structure contracts that way and agree at signing date that in 3 years they part ways.  Would be a similar issue as those recapture contracts - artificially reduce the cap hit while knowing full well that it's not the intent to play the full length of the contract.

• Upvote 3