The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on SN 650 (6/5/2019)

Rate this topic

HerrDrFunk

3 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Provide a memorable hit example from last year.

i like Jake.  But the comparisons, (not just TW) are unreal.

but because we are talking Tom Wilson:

if tw went to free agency today there would be a lineup of gms waiting.  Can that be said for Jake?

tom scrums.  Tom initiated trouble.  Tom intimidates. Tom can take over a game and regularly does so.

jake does none of that.  And I don’t see it happening.

that being said:  Jake could score 20-25 while playing fast, reasonably hard on the forecheck and has a good two way game that is getting better.

let Jake be Jake.  I hope he stays and continues to develop.

I never said he's as effective as Tom Wilson today, but I did say, again, that he can be as effective or better. He has those tools and more and he's 21.

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 18W-40C-6W said:

I never said he's as effective as Tom Wilson today, but I did say, again, that he can be as effective or better. He has those tools and more and he's 21.

jake will be 23 the next time the puck drops. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, tas said:

jake will be 23 the next time the puck drops. 

Chronologically 23, but mentally he's still really young.  A guy like Bo, when he was 20 was mentally a already mature.  Jake was very immature coming into the league, and is still growing up.  When his mental age catches up to his chronological age (I think it happens this season) watch out.  He's going to be a difference maker in a lot of games. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/8/2019 at 5:37 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

His disappearing window of time for an NHL career says hi back.

Tryamkin is 24 years old...he hasn't reached his prime yet. Most players reach it at 26 through to 32 years of age...need to give him some time to show he can disappear...just like OJ...I'll put my money on Tryamkin being an impact player in ways that most players can't be...need to give the big fella an opportunity to succeed and show what he brings...projected to be a fan favourite, again.

Most of the impact players in this years SCF are between 26 and 32 years old...in comparison, Tryamkin is just beginning

3 hours ago, Pete M said:

Tryamkin is 24 years old...he hasn't reached his prime yet. Most players reach it at 26 through to 32 years of age...need to give him some time to show he can disappear...just like OJ...I'll put my money on Tryamkin being an impact player in ways that most players can't be...need to give the big fella an opportunity to succeed and show what he brings...projected to be a fan favourite, again.

Most of the impact players in this years SCF are between 26 and 32 years old...in comparison, Tryamkin is just beginning

Very few NHL players take a "break" from the league in those key pre-25 years.    He has not had anything close to NHL challenge, conditioning or level of play for what will soon be three years.   He isn't Tiger Woods who took a break from golf for a while.   

19 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

When did Virtanen dye his skin rose?

Sounds about right.

I wouldn’t joke about me being lost when you couldn’t even piece together why JV is rose coloured to the overly optimistic fans. It has nothing to do with dye. lol

15 minutes ago, Tomatoes11 said:

I wouldn’t joke about me being lost when you couldn’t even piece together why JV is rose coloured to the overly optimistic fans. It has nothing to do with dye. lol

I don't think you should joke, I agree. Would you like me to send you a copy of Hooked on Phonics?