The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning on SN 650 (6/5/2019)

Rate this topic

HerrDrFunk

1 minute ago, Rough Neck said:

I really don't want to lose Jake, but this seems like the deal would end up making. Not sure how I feel about it though. 

1 minute ago, Zhukini said:

I mean he has shown a good tendency to move on from his mistakes

1 minute ago, CaptainLinden16 said:

No thank you.

I don't want this to happen.  I'm suggesting this might happen.  It provides a top six F and a top 4 D for JB (not that I agree with those valuations)

The Leafs dump salary to sign their UFA, and to extend Trouba - if they do trade for him. 

• Like 1

Just now, Vanuckles said:

One way or another. After the bonus is paid out on July 1st, he gets 9 million over the next 3 years with a 6 million cap hit. If we can offload him to a team like OTT who NEED players without it costing us an arm and a leg, then that's one possible outcome. If not, there's always the option of retaining 50% of his contract, giving him a 3 mill cap hit for the team that's picking him up. That's actually decent value for what he brings which is a bottom 6 forward who's decent on the penalty kill.

Don't forget guys, Eriksson has a full NTC. He can't be traded unless he gets the final say.

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Don't think it's possible if he intends to stay in the NHL.  Eriksson would have earned 27M over 3 years - i.e. an average of 9M but the cap hit was only 6M.  

Would be too easy for teams to structure contracts that way and agree at signing date that in 3 years they part ways.  Would be a similar issue as those recapture contracts - artificially reduce the cap hit while knowing full well that it's not the intent to play the full length of the contract.

I think that's a stretch. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

I mean he has shown a good tendency to move on from his mistakes

I don't agree that Jake is a 'mistake' but I do agree that Jim is making better decisions on the pro-scouting and roster side of things. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

The comment about top 6 forwards and top 4 defensemen is scary to me mostly because of who Benning might identify in those roles. Hopefully it's not anyone like Zaitsev, Myers or Ferland. 

He said he wanted experienced guys in those roles to cushion our younger players.  That's why I mentioned JB could be considering both Zaitsev and Marleau.  

3 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

The comment about top 6 forwards and top 4 defensemen is scary to me mostly because of who Benning might identify in those roles. Hopefully it's not anyone like Zaitsev, Myers or Ferland. 

if you take a longer look at Zaitsev's time in TO its not the train wreck being suggested, yeah he's overpaid by 1 to 1.5 mil but if we can get an asset back with him it does balance things out. I'm starting to think he'd be a good fit with Edler. Zaitsev was a + player with Gardiner for 2 seasons and Edler would be a big improvement as a partner for him. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Ossi Vaananen said:

Jake is not a mistake, and I hope he isn't going anywhere. Reaves getting traded twice for a first round pick should tell you all you need to know about big guys who can actually play. Jake will get there, and has already outscored Reaves. 

Why is this the bar? So if 5 years from now if whoever we draft in the 2019 draft ends up on the same career trajectory as Jake we can just compare them to a 5th round pick who has found a niche role and be okay with it?

Jake is better than a whole lot of players in the league, but his measuring stick shouldn't be 3 feet underground just to make him look better. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Zhukini said:

Why is this the bar? So if 5 years from now if whoever we draft in the 2019 draft ends up on the same career trajectory as Jake we can just compare them to a 5th round pick who has found a niche role and be okay with it?

Jake is better than a whole lot of players in the league, but his measuring stick shouldn't be 3 feet underground just to make him look better. 

Lol, i meant it as a compliment to Jake. Reaves being worth two firsts should extend to Jake being worth more. Don't distort.

1 minute ago, Zhukini said:

given where he went it was fair to expect more for sure. My feeling is the guy isn't what you'd call a 'fast learner' but there were flashes of him having some dominant shifts last season, and he hasn't actually taken a step back he's slowly getting better. So i have hope he can still turn into a top 6 F. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Here it comes guys:

Tanev + Jake for Zaitsev + Marleau + Nylander.

Nylander Pettersson Boeser 

Pearsons Horvat Marleau 

Leivo Gaudette Granlund 

Roussel Beagle Motte 

Edler Stetcher 

Tyramkin Zeitsev 

Hughes Schenn 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

if you take a longer look at Zaitsev's time in TO its not the train wreck being suggested, yeah he's overpaid by 1 to 1.5 mil but if we can get an asset back with him it does balance things out. I'm starting to think he'd be a good fit with Edler. Zaitsev was a + player with Gardiner for 2 seasons and Edler would be a big improvement as a partner for him. 

I don't know how, in any way, that it would make sense to take TO's SCRAPS and bail them out of their Cap trouble to boot. How about everyone wait them out and "steal" their FA's that they are unable to pay. That would be the smart move to make and the most advantageous.

• Upvote 1