The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

June 6, 75th Anniversay of WWII D-Day Invasion

DonLever

4 hours ago, smithers joe said:

what was it like there? did you take any pictures? most of my ancestors were from ruoen in normandy. my brother fought in sicily and was evacuated from dunkirk.

Lots of pics Joe. The Juneau Beach Centre is the focal point for Canadians in Normandy. It was built thru the efforts of Canadian vets who served in Normandy. I walked the landing beaches and you have to wonder what those men were thinking. They are call the Greatest Generation for good reason IMHO.

You asked about the countryside. We were driven inland to the Beny Sur Mere Cemetery. Rolling farmlands. My mother had asked me to visit her cousin’s grave there and I thought as we drove what he would have seen. Farmland not unlike where he grew up. The cemetery had 2400 graves. Frankly it angered me as I saw all those graves. Angered because Canadians died there in 2 wars because Euros couldn’t get there act together. To this day the Euros tell us how we should live. I would never send my grandsons to fight ever. 

As a a nod to your ancestors Joe. We stayed in Bayeux where the famous Tapestry is displayed. It depicts William the Conqueror’s invasion of England. What I never learned in school was Harold and William were half brothers who had it out at Hastings to see who would be King of England. Yes a inbred lot. No wonder my ancestors got out of there and came to America.

On 3/2/2020 at 8:08 AM, Boudrias said:

Lots of pics Joe. The Juneau Beach Centre is the focal point for Canadians in Normandy. It was built thru the efforts of Canadian vets who served in Normandy. I walked the landing beaches and you have to wonder what those men were thinking. They are call the Greatest Generation for good reason IMHO.

You asked about the countryside. We were driven inland to the Beny Sur Mere Cemetery. Rolling farmlands. My mother had asked me to visit her cousin’s grave there and I thought as we drove what he would have seen. Farmland not unlike where he grew up. The cemetery had 2400 graves. Frankly it angered me as I saw all those graves. Angered because Canadians died there in 2 wars because Euros couldn’t get there act together. To this day the Euros tell us how we should live. I would never send my grandsons to fight ever. 

As a a nod to your ancestors Joe. We stayed in Bayeux where the famous Tapestry is displayed. It depicts William the Conqueror’s invasion of England. What I never learned in school was Harold and William were half brothers who had it out at Hastings to see who would be King of England. Yes a inbred lot. No wonder my ancestors got out of there and came to America.

oops, i’m related to william the conqueror. going back to rolo the viking. i would love to visit there and in inverness in scotland. somewhere there, there are 6 statues of the dukes. rolo and his sons. 

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

oops, i’m related to william the conqueror. going back to rolo the viking. i would love to visit there and in inverness in scotland. somewhere there, there are 6 statues of the dukes. rolo and his sons. 

You must have watched the ‘Vikings’ series with extra interest. You would enjoy a trip to Normandy I think. Nothing cheap in EU. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

You must have watched the ‘Vikings’ series with extra interest. You would enjoy a trip to Normandy I think. Nothing cheap in EU. 

i did for awhile but i always thought they were made up stories. rollo was very tall and walked everywhere because on a horse his feet dragged on the ground. when the king talked him into taking roeun and not plundering mare land, he told rolo to kiss his feet. rolo wouldn’t but got one of his men to do it for him. the viking life was pretty brutal.