The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks all in for Jason Zucker

I like Jake and think he’s a solid third liner, but I would be more than willing to trade him for Zucker. 

Jake probably will very likely become a 20 goal scorer (he probably would’ve gotten there this year if it wasn’t for injuries) but one thing that he has always lacked, in juniors and now in the big league, is solid hockey IQ and for that reason I’d be willing to part ways with him.

Hockey IQ cannot be overstated. Green has definitely helped him improve on that a bit, but honestly I think that the ability to think the game at a high level is simply something you’re either born with or not. 

And then there’s his inconsistency with effort which drives me absolutely nuts, because when he’s firing on all cylinders it helps make up for his low IQ game, but the second he takes his foot off the pedal he becomes a detriment to the Canucks. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Minny isn't trading Dumba. We're not trading Boeser. Wish people would get through through their thick skulls and drop it. 

... you know, it is actually humanly possible to just not read and comment on threads that aren’t of interest to you... but hey, insulting people for having discussions on a discussion board because you never learned to walk away is another way to go... albiet a ridiculous one...

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

... you know, it is actually humanly possible to just not read and comment on threads that aren’t of interest to you... but hey, insulting people for having discussions on a discussion board because you never learned to walk away is another way to go... albiet a ridiculous one...

Almost all of our trade proposals and discussion are moot, right?  We come here for the fun of trying to figure out what might make our team a Cup winner.

Personally, I don't want Dumba and his big ears on our team at the cost of Boeser.   

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Almost all of our trade proposals and discussion are moot, right?  We come here for the fun of trying to figure out what might make our team a Cup winner.

Personally, I don't want Dumba and his big ears on our team at the cost of Boeser.   

I'm a huge Brock fan and if we were offered Zucker and Dumba for Boeser and a mediocre player. I would do that in a heartbeat. Dumba would be on our first pair for 5 more seasons at 6 million per and zucker locked in at another 4 season at 5.5 per. Where as Brock is probably asking for 7 per. 

I love Brock on our team, but there is always a price. 

Now I'm not saying that will happen, but I would do that in a heartbeat if offered. 

Edited by KKnight
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Leopold is part of the problem.  

So is Boudreau IMO.  His calling card is a good first year, because he is a good tactician, then wears on players.  A recurring theme now in Minny. But he has produced results at times in his career? My take would be to let him play out earn his next contract on the fly. Truly show, start to show that he will work with players.

They had no replacement for him.  Which was my point.  And a team that cannot lose any of its top 4 D?  Who are very good BTW.  Are still a bad team. Teams ALWAYS lose defenceman to injury.  They relied on hacks, AHL and 7th and 8th defenceman, some of whom were forced all the way up to key minutes.  

They don't seem to have any great prospects on the cusp, or anywhere really, either on D. Which means they have to start drafting for position, while they ''retool.''

Up front, like I am impressed with their top 4, they have some good young players. Kaprizov, is a wild card.  But he HAS to be.  Kunin is a good young player, as is Ek. So is Greenway?  But that's a soft core if that's what it becomes. Unless Kaprizov is Pettersson on steroids?  None of them, Dumba back on D aside, is game breaking talent.

Which reverts back to is it a great plan to ''re-tool?'' Change game styles, when you don't have waves of speed & skill to carry the puck.

It all wreaks to me. 

The Wild are not in a rebuild and have every intention of making the playoffs next year.  They are approaching their off-season with that mindset.

This is Leopold's video message to season ticket holders at the TDL - he says their moves makes them a better, more ambitious team.  He assures them that they are going to be aggressive in the off-season and spend right up to the cap.

"Just so that we all understand this is not a rebuild.  Look at our team.  We are ready to play right now.  We are building on the fly".  

At the 2:30 mark: https://youtu.be/fLFAGKX27kM

Fenton said he only picked once for needs - Ryan Suter because they knew he would be a NHLer and desperately needed Ds. Otherwise it's BPA. They needed Cs more than anything the year they drafted Jones - but he dropped and he was their BPA.  The year they took Fiala - they had no C1 or C2 but still picked a winger.

Last year they took D Filip Johansson in the 1st round - he was projected to go in the 2nd/3rd round.  Was Fenton's pick and not the choice of their scouts. Weird choice for BPA.  

In the video above Leopold names Kaprisov as part of their core.  They have real high hopes for him.

For now their projected top-9 is Fiala Donato Kunin ErikssonEk Greenway + Staal Parise Koivu and Zucker.  Zucker on his way out, 3 veterans slowing down and 5 players 23 and under.

Can't see how they will make the playoffs with that group.  There's also no playmaking Cs. Kunin, Greenway and Donato are still waiver free to start the season so they could still end up in Iowa and their spots be filled by free agents.  Anders Lee and Pavelski are rumoured to be off-season targets should they become available.  

Fenton is banking a lot on Fiala.  He introduced him as a game breaker.  He did add that it could be at both ends of the ice and hoping that it would be more in their favour.

Fiala is really dynamic - lots of speed and skills.  Doesn't really have someone to play with.  He needs someone that can anticipate the plays he wants to make and be ready for his quick passes.  He is still very inconsistent and pretty reckless with the risks he takes - he needs to mature and understand that sometimes less is more efficient.  Fiala also never dumps the puck and it's creating confusion because they've never been that kind of team.

Edited by mll

Benning was just quoted as saying they may explore moving down in the draft. Minny picks 12 Van picks 10. So a very realistic sweetener on a Zucker deal would be a swap of first round picks. Won't happen until draft day though cuz it all depends how the first 9 go. 

But don't discount virtanen plus 10 for Zucker and 12. 

42 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Benning was just quoted as saying they may explore moving down in the draft. Minny picks 12 Van picks 10. So a very realistic sweetener on a Zucker deal would be a swap of first round picks. Won't happen until draft day though cuz it all depends how the first 9 go. 

But don't discount virtanen plus 10 for Zucker and 12. 

No thanks. Benning should take the best player left at 10. Not worth moving down.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Benning is saying he is going to explore moving down not me. As Petey says Google it lol.

Source?

I googled it and this is what I found - says he won't look to move up. Does not say he will move down.

Jim Benning reportedly won’t look to move up from No. 10 at the draft

JUNE 5, 2019, 10:41 AM | CAM LEWIS

It would have been nice if the Hughes brothers could have been a thing in Vancouver, but I think we’ve all accepted that it isn’t happening.

Beyond the obvious reality that Jim Benning won’t be paying what would be an astronomical price to acquire the New Jersey Devils’ No. 1 overall pick, Ben Kuzma of The Province reports that Benning isn’t planning to move up from No. 10 overall in any capacity. 

“Coming out of the combine, I felt even better and excited about the player we’re going to get at No. 10. The kids were excellent in the interviews because they can get into a room with adults and sell themselves on what they can do and what they can get better at.

I’m super excited about the pick.

If we have to (in addition to the 10th pick) give up a second-round pick, that’s too much because we feel the draft is deep enough,” added Benning. “And you just don’t know how the draft is going to fall. We could have a player rated in the top six falling to us at 10.” – Jim Benning.

As Stephen Roget explored a few weeks ago, the cost to move up in the draft would be fairly substantial. Even sliding up from No. 10 to one of the other picks in the top-10 would easily cost the Canucks their second-round pick. As Benning said, the draft is deep enough and the quality of players available to the Canucks at No. 10 make it not worthwhile to sell off their quantity at the draft.

Last year, there were some surprises in the draft, as the Montreal Canadiens selected Jesperi Kotkaniemi with the third-overall pick and the Coyotes took Barrett Hayton with the fifth-overall pick. As a result, the Red Wings snagged Filip Zadina, who was widely considered the third best player in the draft at No. 6. That also left the Canucks with a great pick at No. 7, Quinn Hughes.

After the top two prospects, Jack Hughes and Kappo Kakko, the draft is a bit of crapshoot. As Jeremy Davis’ most recent consolidated rankings show, players like Vasali Podkolzin are ranked as high as No. 2 and as low as No. 17 in the draft. Given the expected randomness and the depth of this draft, the Canucks are best just to sit still and let the best player available fall into their lap.

Keep looking. It's not hard to find partner. 

He says, we know the first round really well. There's going to be some players we like after we pick. So maybe we'll move down.  

When you find it I'd appreciate a thanks.  

Edited by fanfor42

37 minutes ago, coryberg said:

That is all speculation. He did not say he has a plan to move down. Haha.....no narrative here folks. Not a real one anyway.

Tell you what....I will bet you $50 that Benning DOES NOT MOVE DOWN.  You in?

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

That is all speculation. He did not say he has a plan to move down. Haha.....no narrative here folks. Not a real one anyway.

Tell you what....I will bet you $50 that Benning DOES NOT MOVE DOWN.  You in?

I have no dog in this fight, was just helping you Google since you were having such a hard time of it. You're welcome BTW.

Edited by coryberg
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, coryberg said:

I have no dog in this fight, was just helping you Google since you were having such a hard time of it. You're welcome BTW.

Lol.  I have told my kids since they were born, when they ask a question, to google it. That is why your response was pretty funny to me.

I still don't see what you do in that quote. But that is fine. lol

I think Zucker would be perfect on Bo's line. If we can get him, I'm totally game.

I just don't see assets we should be giving up for him.  No way Boeser should be part of the conversation.  Sure you can mention Virtanen, but he is the kind of improving player with a big body we need for the 3rd line.  I would do it - reluctantly.

But what's left that they would want?  I can't imagine any of our spare parts would be of interest to them. Seems JV almost -must- be part of a potential package.

11 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Lol.  I have told my kids since they were born, when they ask a question, to google it. That is why your response was pretty funny to me.

I still don't see what you do in that quote. But that is fine. lol

This doesn't even make sense.

Why were you telling a new born baby to google it? Why would you tell a toddler to google it when they started asking questions? Why have you been telling your child to google it their entire life?

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, mll said:

The Wild are not in a rebuild and have every intention of making the playoffs next year.  They are approaching their off-season with that mindset.

This is Leopold's video message to season ticket holders at the TDL - he says their moves makes them a better, more ambitious team.  He assures them that they are going to be aggressive in the off-season and spend right up to the cap.

"Just so that we all understand this is not a rebuild.  Look at our team.  We are ready to play right now.  We are building on the fly".  

At the 2:30 mark: https://youtu.be/fLFAGKX27kM

Fenton said he only picked once for needs - Ryan Suter because they knew he would be a NHLer and desperately needed Ds. Otherwise it's BPA. They needed Cs more than anything the year they drafted Jones - but he dropped and he was their BPA.  The year they took Fiala - they had no C1 or C2 but still picked a winger.

Last year they took D Filip Johansson in the 1st round - he was projected to go in the 2nd/3rd round.  Was Fenton's pick and not the choice of their scouts. Weird choice for BPA.  

In the video above Leopold names Kaprisov as part of their core.  They have real high hopes for him.

For now their projected top-9 is Fiala Donato Kunin ErikssonEk Greenway + Staal Parise Koivu and Zucker.  Zucker on his way out, 3 veterans slowing down and 5 players 23 and under.

Can't see how they will make the playoffs with that group.  There's also no playmaking Cs. Kunin, Greenway and Donato are still waiver free to start the season so they could still end up in Iowa and their spots be filled by free agents.  Anders Lee and Pavelski are rumoured to be off-season targets should they become available.  

Fenton is banking a lot on Fiala.  He introduced him as a game breaker.  He did add that it could be at both ends of the ice and hoping that it would be more in their favour.

Fiala is really dynamic - lots of speed and skills.  Doesn't really have someone to play with.  He needs someone that can anticipate the plays he wants to make and be ready for his quick passes.  He is still very inconsistent and pretty reckless with the risks he takes - he needs to mature and understand that sometimes less is more efficient.  Fiala also never dumps the puck and it's creating confusion because they've never been that kind of team.

You present the case well in regards to the teams view of what they are doing.  

I see issues, not sold.

My concerns; Koivu and Staal's age, Rasks capacity to have a renaissance. Parise's ability to stay healthy. Will they resolve their defensive depth. Replace lost top 9 forwards.  They have an above average collection of solid young forward prospects..(They do.) Top level? I like Kunin, Greenway, Donato.But  don't see them as Pettersson or Boeser. Will the most likely candidate, Kaprizov jump the pond? Will any join Dumba as a game impacting talent?  

That without entertaining discussion of the coach & goalie having it within themselves to take on a new style. Which seems part of the plan?

I think it is all too optimistic. Just my opinion..