The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks all in for Jason Zucker

16 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

What am I missing on Zucker? Pitts was willing to part with Kessel straight up, Minn is asking for Boeser (who is close to a ppg player in his first two seasons as an early 20s yo), etc. What gives?

Worst time of the year for 'hockey news'.  

Inevitably a minefield of bullshizz.

For example.....

Benning on reports talks with Boeser are far apart : "Those reports are unfounded and not true. I don't know where that came from, we are in constant with his group. Contract talks have gone in the right direction, we want to get him signed." #Canucks

Take everything you hear with a grain of salt.

20 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Worst time of the year for 'hockey news'.  

Inevitably a minefield of bullshizz.

For example.....

Benning on reports talks with Boeser are far apart : "Those reports are unfounded and not true. I don't know where that came from, we are in constant with his group. Contract talks have gone in the right direction, we want to get him signed." #Canucks

Take everything you hear with a grain of salt.

Oh, for sure, but Kessel for Zucker straight up? That wasn't a rumour, was it? He declined to waive. 

25 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Oh, for sure, but Kessel for Zucker straight up? That wasn't a rumour, was it? He declined to waive. 

For an aging Kessel - he might be a reasonable return.

Kessel will be 32 this fall, with 3 years remaining at an 8 million cap hit.

I think that would be a case of Pitts looking to avoid the decline, take their Cups and run - offload him while they can.

Kessel had 36 pp pts this year.

5 on 5 - he was highest on the Pens with 65.6% ozone starts,  and 20th with a 47.7% corsi.

Horrible goal metrics - goals against - gives the puck away at a prolific rate.

The Pens got rekt with Kessel on the ice 5 on 5 - and he was playing with Malkin, and some decent opposing wingers....

Good role player on a team with a core like Pittsburgh - but realistically, not surprised Pitts would look to move on at this point.

Zucker would be a good enough return imo.

But if they're looking for bluechip futures - they're knocking on the wrong door imo.  For Van, Zucker doesn't make a great deal of sense - unless the price is in the range of Goldbobin, Hutton, Baertschi types.   Zucker's 42 pts at 5.5 million don't exactly make him a bluechip piece.  He had one season above the 40+ pt range - if they wanted a bluechip, they should have dealt him at that point.  Personally, I think they need to look more realistically - in the range of the type of return they got on NN, Coyle, Granlund....hockey trade for a Baertschi is far more realistic imo than pipe dreams about a Boeser, which is laughable.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 1

Some additional info popping up about Zucker....some people seem high on him but Virtanen and Tanev seems like the wrong move. Canucks don't even know what they have in the group yet or Virtanen for that matter....would much rather they slow play young guys for next year and add one year flyers (some decent UFAs that could add offense). Would much rather they spend resources on getting a top four d-man.

Canucks interested in Jason Zucker

@Account4hockey: Michael Russo on his podcast. The Vancouver Canucks offer for Minnesota Wild winger Jason Zucker has included Jake Virtanen and Chris Tanev.

https://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumors-wild-canucks-flames-and-oilers/2019/06/08/

Pass it to Bulis is high on Zucker.

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/canucks-reportedly-interested-in-jason-zucker-but-at-what-cost-1.23846172

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:
Some additional info popping up about Zucker....some people seem high on him but Virtanen and Tanev seems like the wrong move. Canucks don't even know what they have in the group yet or Virtanen for that matter....would much rather they slow play young guys for next year and add one year flyers (some decent UFAs that could add offense). Would much rather they spend resources on getting a top four d-man.

@Account4hockey: Michael Russo on his podcast. The Vancouver Canucks offer for Minnesota Wild winger Jason Zucker has included Jake Virtanen and Chris Tanev.

https://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rumors-wild-canucks-flames-and-oilers/2019/06/08/

https://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/canucks-reportedly-interested-in-jason-zucker-but-at-what-cost-1.23846172

No way JB trades Jake for Pucker.  

5 hours ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

E5.

Giving Eklund a run for his money.

5 hours ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Ummm. If this was the offer for Zucker it would be done. Plus, no way JB offers up our best right dman unless he's sure of another one being acquired. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

Tanev ever sure, virtanen no way im making that deal

6 hours ago, rekker said:

Ummm. If this was the offer for Zucker it would be done. Plus, no way JB offers up our best right dman unless he's sure of another one being acquired. 

Not from the Wild's perspective.  

They are looking for proven goal scorers.  Their top-4 D is one of the best in the league when everyone is healthy.  A season ago when Zucker had his 64pt season, their Ds had 200pts to Vancouver's 122pts.  

This season Minnesota was the team that allowed the least shots from the inner slot.  They were also top-5 in limiting shots against by the TDL. Tanev would also be a 1 year rental.  They are at risk of losing Spurgeon in a year but Tanev is not his replacement.

The Wild need more scoring.  They have too many left wings and only 1 right shot.  

Virtanen as right wing and right handed shot does fill a position of need but he is not a proven goal scorer.  They already have a lot of inexperience on their roster.  Leopold demands the playoffs.  

Edited by mll
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, mll said:

Not from the Wild's perspective.  

They are looking for proven goal scorers.  Their top-4 D is one of the best in the league when everyone is healthy.  A season ago when Zucker had his 64pt season, their Ds had 200pts to Vancouver's 122pts.  

This season Minnesota was the team that allowed the least shots from the inner slot.  They were also top-5 in limiting shots against by the TDL. Tanev would also be a 1 year rental.  They are at risk of losing Spurgeon in a year but Tanev is not his replacement.

The Wild need more scoring.  They have too many left wings and only 1 right shot.  

Virtanen as right wing and right handed shot does fill a position of need but he is not a proven goal scorer.  They already have a lot of inexperience on their roster.  Leopold demands the playoffs.  

In retrospect given Minnie's roster those are very valid points mll.

On 6/6/2019 at 9:44 AM, Ohthehumanity said:

I'm old enough too, and you cannot compare Jake to Cam Neely. Neely played a heavy game and could got to the net and score, and Jake doesn't. Jake is a fast winger that has a good shot. Cam Neely was a bull in a china shop who hit, fought and scored and Jake doesn't seem like he wants to be that guy.

You don’t seem to remember that in his first three years with Vancouver Neely looked a lot like Jake and in his last year actually had fewer goals than Jake and was a -29. Jake’s problem is not getting to the net, he had the third most shots on net behind only Horvat and Boeser - more than Pettersson, and that is with virtually no PP time. As for Jake not being comparable in hits, only Motte had more hits on his team, and I’m confident that the opposition was more concerned about being hit by Jake than by Motte (no negative implied on Motte, he can’t help that Jake outweighs him by 30 pounds).

i think you are thinking only of the mature Neely, not the kid that played in Vancouver, but the beast that finished turning into a man in Boston... after we gave up on him.  There are no guarantees in player development, but we would look doubly stupid to repeat our experience of Neely.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/8/2019 at 3:12 PM, 5nothincanucksohno said:

My nhl trade rumours is something I wouldn't trust anymore 

• Upvote 1

Just now, CanucksCountry said:

It was fake

Thank goodness! My son showed me the posting from SN on Instagram, I immediately freaked out.

I must have a latent fear that the Canucks might do something really stupid in the coming months.

My heart rate is almost back to normal and I’m resting comfortably.

Might even be time for a wee glass of scotch.

Junior has been dispatched to his room for a time out.

;)

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, PistolPete13 said:

Thank goodness! My son showed me the posting from SN on Instagram, I immediately freaked out.

I must have a latent fear that the Canucks might do something really stupid in the coming months.

My heart rate is almost back to normal and I’m resting comfortably.

Might even be time for a wee glass of scotch.

Junior has been dispatched to his room for a time out.

;)

We have done stupid trades in past years, but JB is not those other GMs.  

Yes, drink Scotch.  

• Cheers 1