The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks all in for Jason Zucker

1 hour ago, mll said:

Leopold demands the playoffs - Fenton is at risk of losing his job if they don't.  They are looking for goal scoring.

They wanted to trade Zucker to get 82pt Kessel.  Gaudette had 12 points in 56 games last season in a heavily sheltered role.  Fenton also doesn't believe in developing players in the NHL.  

3way deal with the Pens?

Just now, mll said:

David Poile believes that Fiala could end up being better than Granlund - he is convinced that Fiala will become a 30 goal scorer.  Granlund simply was a better fit for their window.

It certainly is one of those situations where we will see, but Minnesota is taking the risk in this case.

Just now, Alain Vigneault said:

All I'm going to say is this:  If the price is as cheap as many of you believe it to be, this would trade would have happened already.

I honestly don't think it'll be cheap, but I also think you're kind of being just as crazy, just on the expensive side. lol

47 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Take a look at the rumours.

Zaitsev, Zucker, Gardiner, Myers...do any of these players excite you?  Do any of these players fit what a rebuilding team should be looking at doing?

Jim. Benning. Is. Desperate. To. Save. His. Job.

You and all the other people need to accept reality.

What exactly has GMJB done that constitutes him being desperate to save his job?  He's consistently drafted well since he has been here, his trades have been pretty good (ie. Baertschi, Granlund, Pearson etc), contracts handed out to existing players have been good.  The only real screw up so far that I can attribute to him is Eriksson.  Other than that, what can be expected of him when injuries have plagued this team like a curse?

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

The only positive I see in this is that Minnesota's management team seems to be in disarray. They fired all their analytics guys so maybe we can send them shiny scraps. But even then, I don't think Zucker is the type of player you acquire in a hockey trade. I don't think he's good enough at anything really. 

I would have had interest if they were trading Niederreiter or Granlund as that feel like a better fit but certainly not Zucker at the prices they are suggesting.  There are 5-10 FA wingers (Dzingel, Eberle etc) that do the same and are in the same age range.  May cost 1-1.5 million more but no assets

• Cheers 1

Just now, The Lock said:

It certainly is one of those situations where we will see, but Minnesota is taking the risk in this case.

Fenton drafted Fiala.  The Predators were nearly going to pass on making the trade for James Neal back in 2014 because they wanted to keep pick 11 to draft him.  The Penguins wanted 11th overall for 22 and 23rd as part of the deal.  

Part of the problem is that he doesn't fit their system - for now.  The Wild play dump&chase - they were 3rd in dump-in rates behind NYI and Vancouver by mid-February according to NHL Network.  Fenton wants to play more of a possession game.  Fiala never dumps the puck in.   It's creating issues because not everyone can just change style of play.  He also takes a lot of risks and is very quick in moving the puck so it's catching guys by surprise because they don't expect the move.  Right now it's a mess.  

Granlund struggled in Nashville and could already be on his way out.  

30 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

All I'm going to say is this:  If the price is as cheap as many of you believe it to be, this would trade would have happened already.

Exactly.

...I don’t think I’ve ever seen this much supposed interest in such a streaky middle6 hockey player.

Makes absolutely no sense and makes me worried that JB is in it who’s never won a hockey trade in his tenure here with the Canucks. If people have a problem with others cause for concern, they should do a reality check themselves. There’s obviously a reason why some people are concerned about where this could lead to...

Edited by Generational.EP40
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Fenton to bend Benning over because he knows Jim is desperate to make playoffs to save his job?  I think yes.

Wouldn't be surprised if we threw in #10 to land him.

11F62287-A74A-4333-BFB0-18331F5E1BE3.png

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 70seven said:

I like Zucker a lot.  Good speed. Tenacious. Can put up 60ish points. I’d guess something along the lines of Virtanen + Juolevi...  but idk if I’d do that. 

I dont like him close to that much !!!     people like saying Virt and Oli are busts ...    its still waay too early for that call to be made ..    JUOLEVI  turns out to be a solid top 4 D , and Virt gets 20 goals ,and plays a physical playoff style game ,  this trade would  be looked at as nothing short of disastrous ...   Why take that chance on a 27 year old , 60 point guy ?

better not do it Jim 

Edited by Lulover88
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Lulover88 said:

I dont like him close to that much !!!     people like saying Virt and Oli are busts ...    its still waay too early for that call to be made ..    JUOLEVI  turns out to be a solid top 4 D , and Virt gets 20 goals ,and plays a physical playoff style game ,  this trade would l be looked at as nothing short of disaterous ...   Why take that chance on a 27 year old , 60 point guy ?

better not do it Jim 

His last few season point totals: 26, 23, 47, 64, 42.

• Upvote 1