The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] Canucks all in for Jason Zucker

2 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

No way Zucker is worth 8th overall. Not even close. 

We can sign Panarin anyways. No thanks to Duchene. 

Zucker and Tanev 50% + 2020 2nd + DiPietro + etc + etc...……...

Then sign Karlsson

• Wat 2

16 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

AV overreacted a bit but there’s legitimate reason for concern.

Remember, JB has never won a trade outright in his tenure with the Canucks. The fact there’s other teams involved and reports the Canucks are going after Zucker hard doesn’t give me confidence if I’m being honest. 

I don’t get how so many people can give JB the benefit of the doubt so blindly. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with anyone siding with caution here. 

Well maybe its just people who you see giving JB the benefit of the doubt, just don't create neurotic hypothetical trades to bash benning over? If he makes a stupid trade then criticize, but complaining about some idiotic idea that one comes up with themselves (with no basis is reality, and serves only to create a fiction to bitch about benning over) is well, idiotic

Whining and bitching over something Benning HAS NOT done is beyond stupid

Edited by 18W-40C-6W
  • Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

God, when are you guys going to grow up?

Wayne Gretzky was traded...…..wrap your head around that for a minute...……...

Back when there was no salary cap, and before there was revenue sharing, and even equalization payments. And a similar 77 cent dollar. 

Comparing apples to oranges. The move of Gretzky was less a hockey move, and more like the Owner knowing he couldn't keep him long term. 

What Pocklington should have done is tried to get a better offer. Shows how different hockey was then and now. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Zucker and Tanev 50% + 2020 2nd + DiPietro + etc + etc...……...

Then sign Karlsson

Raymond, Ballard, Stanton, a 3rd, Pat O'Neill, Fin, the kitchen sink, etc etc...

Also, you can't just assume that you're going to be able to sign the most coveted free agent on the market.

Edited by 48MPHSlapShot

20 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

So...….just dreaming bit...………..

Boeser is just an asset...………..he will sign for about 7 M....hold on to that thought for a minute...……….

So Boeser for Zucker + 2019 1st (12 OA) + 2020 2nd...…….

Flip Zucker to Edmonton for their 2019 1st (8th OA)...……..maybe we retain some????

Sign Panarin  and Duchene = 20 M (so we are expedientially better)

Walk into the 2019 NHL draft with.

2019 1st 8th OA...…...Dach/Zegras/Boldy

2019 1st 10th OA...….Soderstrom/Seider

2019 1st 12th OA...….Krebs/Newhook/Lavoie

That to me, we are way better off

Could you imagine the craziness on the draft floor as all this transpired?...………...Bettman would have to put in a new rule

21 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Dumba is a 1st pairing D and worth more than Boeser. Zucker is worth quite a bit more than Virtanen. I would add a 2nd on top of it.

Dumba > Boeser (only because a 1st pairing D is worth more than a 1st line winger - every time)

Zucker > Virtanen (but Virt is younger and has size - and I really like Jake)

Canucks add a 2nd or another prospect.

Dumba Zucker for Boeser Virtanen 2nd (or Gaudette) - still not sure that would get it done

I would do that for a 1st pairing D. We would get most of Boeser's production for the first few years and a very good D for many years.

I would still do that with those adds from our end.  It isn't pushing from our end though  Minnesota would be the one instigating it, and we should be able to clearly win a trade with a team that would kill to have a homegrown star player on their roster and is pretty unhappy with their current team makeup.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Back when there was no salary cap, and before there was revenue sharing, and even equalization payments. And a similar 77 cent dollar. 

Comparing apples to oranges. The move of Gretzky was less a hockey move, and more like the Owner knowing he couldn't keep him long term. 

What Pocklington should have done is tried to get a better offer. Shows how different hockey was then and now. 

Not really......players get traded for cap reasons all the time,

and they do because Owners don't want to pay up as well...……….Re: Melnyk

But the point is, stars get traded all the time, young, old and in the middle ones too......which is really the only point I was trying to make

Nothing has changed except the rules

1 minute ago, Down by the River said:

Not true. 

Baertschi trade he won. Trading away Gudbranson he won. Looks like trading away Dahlin was a win; and if you think it was a loss, then you'd have to acknowledge that trading Burrows for Dahlin was a win. Trading Hansen was a win. Trading for Leivo was a win.

Those are all reclamation projects. Nothing of significance. 

Going for sure NHLers, he’s lost every time. Leivo was an exception since the Leafs traded him out of goodwill but even then he’s no more than a fringe middle6 winger.

Just now, Down by the River said:

Not true. 

Baertschi trade he won. Trading away Gudbranson he won. Looks like trading away Dahlin was a win; and if you think it was a loss, then you'd have to acknowledge that trading Burrows for Dahlin was a win. Trading Hansen was a win. Trading for Leivo was a win.

Yeah, I'd say his record is about 50/50. Granlund for Shinkaruk was another win. Del Zotto for Schenn and a 2020 7th looks promising. I'd consider Dorsett for a 2014 3rd rd pick a win as well.

That being said, his record when it comes to big trades isn't all that good, although he hasn't actually made many big trades, so it's a pretty small sample size.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

LATEST CANUCKS SPECULATION

VANCOUVER SUN: Ben Kuzma suggests the Canucks might have to package some players to land a top-six forward via the trade market. The Minnesota Wild reportedly offered up winger Jason Zucker but their asking price (budding star Brock Boeser) was rejected. GM Jim Benning said he intends to add support for his promising young players like Boeser. 

Outside of Boeser, Elias Pettersson, Bo Horvat, and Quinn Hughes, the Canucks lack sufficient assets to make a one-for-one trade for significant help. Kuzma suggests a package deal of winger Jake Virtanen and defenseman Ben Hutton might draw some interest.

Kuzma’s colleague Patrick Johnston cited a report by TSN’s Pierre LeBrun indicating the Canucks had interest in Marcus Johansson at the trade deadline. The Boston Bruins subsequently acquired Johansson from the Washington Capitals. Given Johansson’s solid postseason performance, Johnston wonders if Benning will take a run at him again via free agency.

Johnston also noted Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman report claiming the Canucks are at an impasse with pending UFA defenseman Alex Edler. A no-movement clause could be the sticking point in negotiations. He also noted a report claiming the Canucks contacted the Toronto Maple Leafs regarding blueliner Nikita Zaitsev. Johnston doesn’t believe Zaitsev would improve Vancouver’s blueline. 

SPORTSNET’s Rick Dhaliwal took to Twitter citing sources from the recent NHL Draft combine claiming the Canucks will pursue Winnipeg’s Tyler Myers or Toronto’s Jake Gardiner via free agency.   

SPECTOR’S NOTE: The Canucks aren’t moving Boeser, Pettersson, Horvat or Hughes. As Kuzma points out, they’re the core Benning intends to build around. Theyalso own the 10th overall pick in the upcoming NHL Draft in Vancouver but Benning seems keen to retain it.

Maybe Benning can find a decent return for that suggested package of Virtanen and Hutton. I think he’ll have better luck targeting clubs looking to shed salary via trades this summer. Cap Friendly indicates the Canucks have $52.4 million invested in 20 players for 2019-20. Even by re-signing Edler and Boeser, they’ll have plenty of room to take on a significant player or two if ownership is willing to do so.

After being burned by the disastrous Loui Eriksson contract in 2016, Benning could be reluctant to spend big in the UFA market. Targeting cap-strapped teams could land them a good, reasonably priced players. I agree with Johnston that the Canucks should pass on Zaitsev, but how about seeing if a forward like Kasperi Kapanen or Andreas Johnsson is available? 

Forgot to add link before...

https://www.spectorshockey.net/2019/06/nhl-rumor-mill-june-5-2019/

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Those are all reclamation projects. Nothing of significance. 

Going for sure NHLers, he’s lost every time. Leivo was an exception since the Leafs traded him out of goodwill but even then he’s no more than a fringe middle6 winger.

Don't need to double down here. Your statement was wrong.

• Upvote 1