The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] The Misunderstood Matter of Olli Joulevi

Sergachev's definitely a good player and it remains to be seen if he or OJ will have the better career. Maybe I'm a homer but I still belive in OJ and wouldn't trade Sergachev for him 1:1.

As for Tkachuk? No denying his mark on the NHL so far, but Canucks need a player like OJ to reach his ceiling more than we need a 1st line winger so I see the reasoning behind the pick all things even. Time will tell, maybe I'm a homer again, but I'm not convinced MT will be held in quite as high a regard in a few years...

21 minutes ago, J-P said:

Sergachev's definitely a good player and it remains to be seen if he or OJ will have the better career. Maybe I'm a homer but I still belive in OJ and wouldn't trade Sergachev for him 1:1.

As for Tkachuk? No denying his mark on the NHL so far, but Canucks need a player like OJ to reach his ceiling more than we need a 1st line winger so I see the reasoning behind the pick all things even. Time will tell, maybe I'm a homer again, but I'm not convinced MT will be held in quite as high a regard in a few years...

Considering the imbalance in value between Dmen and wingers, if OJ just becomes a solid 2nd pairing Dman, he could most likely be traded for a 1st line winger. And if he develops into a top pairing Dman, he would probably have more value than a 1st line winger.

2 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Considering the imbalance in value between Dmen and wingers, if OJ just becomes a solid 2nd pairing Dman, he could most likely be traded for a 1st line winger. And if he develops into a top pairing Dman, he would probably have more value than a 1st line winger.

That's true and IMO if OJ can stay healthy second paring D is his floor IMO.

1 minute ago, J-P said:

That's true and IMO if OJ can stay healthy second paring D is his floor IMO.

I agree. He has the tools and the toolbox. The only real question is his health, and I believe that his injuries have just been bad luck. I certainly hope so.

12 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Dude he got 40 points as a 19 year old rookie defenceman.  Who cares what team he played for and how sheltered his minutes were.

It does matter when it comes to context. Yes he's talented but ignoring who he plays with is dishonest analysis.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

It does matter when it comes to context. Yes he's talented but ignoring who he plays with is dishonest analysis.

Of course. Getting lots of PP time playing with stars would produce points for just about anybody. What was the saying, "a fire hydrant would get 25 goals playing with Gretzky?" I don't think the poster you responded to actually understands the concepts of either context or honesty.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1