The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour) Poolparty wants out of Edmonton

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

1 to 1 and a half....not a hockey trade or 1-1 but a trade for 1-1 with Puljujarvi being the +

43 minutes ago, aGENT said:

And nor do we need to be stupid enough to take on Lucic's contract for nothing more than a floundering Pool.

No. It's not enough IMO. What happens if Puljujarvi ends up being more Yakupov than Hall? We're stuck with a bust and a FAR worse contract all while helping a direct divisional rival out of a cap bind one year sooner, and helping them with the ED.

Even worse, watch Eriksson rebound playing with freaking McDavid!

No thanks.

We have all the leverage. They have none. We should be in no hurry to change that.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

No. It's enough IMO. What happens if Puljujarvi ends up being more Yakupov than Hall? We're stuck with a bust and a FAR worse contract all while helping a direct divisional rival out of a cap bind one year sooner, and helping them with the ED.

No thanks.

We have all the leverage. They have none.

It's not far worse, it just contains 1 extra year and an NMC.  We're not taking Redden back.  We're taking a non productive forward for a defensively responsible yet non productive forward.

If you feel it's not enough that's fine but I also don't think for a second people will get a fraction of what they want.  

See Bickel's trade.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sure but Goldy repeated the performance in Utica too. I just think there's more to Goldy than we've seen or give him credit for. 

Goldy can most definitely be a 20g 40 point guy. The issue at hand is his drive, motivation and tenacity. Those are the only things holding him back. The skill and potential is evidently there. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It's not far worse, it just contains 1 extra year and an NMC.  

There's also more cash owed to the player from the owner (not an issue for us fans but Benning would have to take this to Aqua). And let's not pretend either of those other two things are small differences even if they were equal players, which they're not. Eriksson's the more useful player who can still play at today's game speed.

We're also not the team in the cap space bind or the team being forced to protect him in the ED with the added pressure of a disgruntled superstar whom they need to build a competitive team around, pronto.

Again, we have all the leverage. Never, ever cede the leverage.

Pay up or keep your boat anchor. Him dragging EDM down for the next 4 years and costing them a better player in the ED has more value to us than adding Puljujarvi.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

It's not far worse, it just contains 1 extra year and an NMC.  We're not taking Redden back.  We're taking a non productive forward for a defensively responsible yet non productive forward.

If you feel it's not enough that's fine but I also don't think for a second people will get a fraction of what they want.  

See Bickel's trade.

I agree that Edmonton may well laugh at what teams offer up for Lucic. But I also dont think no team takes him on without a major reward. Heck, there are very few teams that can even fit him in, let alone he would waive to. I think you play hardball with the Oilers. Take it or leave it and if they leave it so be it. LE is a bad contract but liveable and expansion draft exempt. I'd sooner keep him and ride it out unless the return makes sense. 

Edited by rekker
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Goldy can most definitely be a 20g 40 point guy. The issue at hand is his drive, motivation and tenacity. Those are the only things holding him back. The skill and potential is evidently there. 

Problem is, most athelete's don't get very far without it. 

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

Heck, there are very few teams that can even fit him in, let alone he would waive to. 

And yes, there's this point too. VAN may be one of the few (even perhaps only) team he'd waive to with his NMC.

LEVERAGE.

EDM pays or pounds sand.

Edited by aGENT
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Heck. I mentioned earlier in the thread I would take this a different angle. Larsson is UFA after this year. He would fit in well here and if he came with an extension I'd sooner take him over PP. Say LE and Sutter for Lucic and Larsson. We retain some on Sutter if needed. Sutter and LE would be players the Oilers would actually need. Larsson, a righty top four swedish dman would look great here. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, aGENT said:

No. It's not enough IMO. What happens if Puljujarvi ends up being more Yakupov than Hall? We're stuck with a bust and a FAR worse contract all while helping a direct divisional rival out of a cap bind one year sooner, and helping them with the ED.

No thanks.

We have all the leverage. They have none. We should be in no hurry to change that.

I agree with all of this, also the rest of the league see's a player that hasn't lived up to his draft position, seems a bit 'lost' in his game, and seems to be more of a project than 4th overall pick. Many here are assuming the position of the pick means more than his performance, not anymore. He's not even a Ppg player in the AHL.

Honestly, I think a fair trade is Goldy for Pulijarvi. Both have their warts, both need a change, and both have potential that no one can figure out

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, rekker said:

Heck. I mentioned earlier in the thread I would take this a different angle. Larsson is UFA after this year. He would fit in well here and if he came with an extension I'd sooner take him over PP. Say LE and Sutter for Lucic and Larsson. We retain some on Sutter if needed. Sutter and LE would be players the Oilers would actually need. Larsson, a righty top four swedish dman would look great here. 

They need D as badly as we do. They would need assurance that Larsson doesn't want to extend there before moving on.

Can you imagine Taylor Hall leading to an unproductive and expensive LE and a brittle Sutter?

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

The Oilers are just trying to not make the same mistake as they've done with the majority of their winger trades so far. So now they are overcompensating by over-valuing Puljujarvi. Their best case scenario is simply to hang onto him and develop him (unless they are forced to moved him to rid themselves of Lucic, which in itself would be worth it for the Oilers). It comes down to whether Puljujarvi wants out and forces their hand to move him in which case it's going to hurt his value unless they can get done quickly before it boils over.

I agree with the fact that he's becoming a project player, albeit a very young one. I think he does have value, but his development has to happen at the NHL level as he likely doesn't clear waivers. So he will have to take up an NHL roster spot that may belong to a more deserving player at the time. It'll make it a tough decision if he doesn't step it up in camp and earn a spot and say another player does. It will go against everything this team has been saying that young players will make the team if they earn their spots.

The other reason I'm hesitant about acquiring Puljujarvi is that I hate the Pool Party nickname.

This definitely lowers his value

7 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

They need D as badly as we do. They would need assurance that Larsson doesn't want to extend there before moving on.

Can you imagine Taylor Hall leading to an unproductive and expensive LE and a brittle Sutter?

My guess. Those talks have already started. My other guess is Larsson has shown no interest in re-signing with that crap show team. It may be in their best interests to move him now. 

Edited by rekker

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

My guess. Those talks have already started. My other guess is Larsson has shown no interest in re-signing with that crap show team. It may be in their best interests to move him now. 

I would imagine Larsson wants to see the direction of the team before opening up discussions. It also depends on the type of person Larsson is. Someone like OEL doesn't mind staying in Arizona despite being a piss poor team for years. I'd argue that EK probably would've stayed in Ottawa had the behind the scenes crap didn't get blown up. Swedes are generally pretty loyal to their clubs.

If they do move him or not, they will still need help on defense. Adding a couple of aging forwards likely isn't going to be what they're looking for if they do move him.

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

I would imagine Larsson wants to see the direction of the team before opening up discussions. It also depends on the type of person Larsson is. Someone like OEL doesn't mind staying in Arizona despite being a piss poor team for years. I'd argue that EK probably would've stayed in Ottawa had the behind the scenes crap didn't get blown up. Swedes are generally pretty loyal to their clubs.

If they do move him or not, they will still need help on defense. Adding a couple of aging forwards likely isn't going to be what they're looking for if they do move him.

Loyal to that crap show in Edmonton? To sign and live another seven years in Edmonton? My guess is he wants out. Obviously a guess on my part though.  

41 minutes ago, rekker said:

Loyal to that crap show in Edmonton? To sign and live another seven years in Edmonton? My guess is he wants out. Obviously a guess on my part though.  

I'm pretty sure Larsson is eager to get out of Edmonton. Even if he likes the city and doesn't mind losing, then simply not to be "the guy we traded Taylor Hall for". That's a huge shadow to play under, that isn't any of his fault.

• Upvote 1

my favourite part about puljujarvi being traded out is the exclamation point it puts on the oilers absurd inability to build a team. 

can you imagine picking:

1st overall

1st overall, 19th overall

1st overall

7th overall

3rd overall

1st overall

4th overall

an average draft position of 4.6

in the span of seven years and having only rnh, klefbom, nurse, draisaitl and mcdavid to show for it?

in the last 7 drafts for vancouver:

26th overall

9th overall, 24th overall

6th overall, 24th overall

23rd overall

5th overall

5th overall

7th overall

an average draft position of 14.3

producing horvat, virtanen, boeser, pettersson, and hughes (with juolevi still to come).

yikes. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1