The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ivan Barbashev suspended 1 game

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, khay said:

Should be 4 SCF games. The puck was gone already, the shoulder made direct contact with the head.

Kind of like Rome hit. If Rome hit was 4 games, this is 4 games. If this is 1 game, Rome hit should have been 1 game. Which is it NHL? 

It's been 8 years. Let it go already.

But on the hit, totally illegal and can't find fault with the suspension. Barbashev just has to hit through the body and he'd be fine.

Edited by elvis15

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:
Accari jumped off his RIGHT SKATE and threw himself back. Accari should be fined for that dive. There was a trip but he gave some sure as shtt EMBELLY right there.

That was just him trying to avoid landing flat on his back. By pushing off with his right leg it allowed him to twist and land on his side instead.

25 minutes ago, Alflives said:

League can be such a joke.  Marchand is trying to injure Bennington by tripping him well after the whistle, and there is no penalty or suspension.  Now a Blue’s player makes a hit during play (yes it’s deserving a suspension) and he’s gone for a game.  Bruins are clearly favoured by Betmann. 

23 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The US market radio stations DO NOT talk hockey.  That’s why there is no whining.  Hockey is not even a topic down there. 

Can tell you’re absolutely clueless when it comes to hockey in the US, especially their bigger hockey markets :picard:

lol. 

Sorry but it’s just silly. The guys committed to the  hit he doesn’t jump or lead with the elbow or even follow through with the elbow the Bruin is passing and his head is lowered. I get players and there heath need to be protected but it’s not a dirty head targeting hit. 

I guess the bruins cried enough so the league had to assist them....again. 

The big bad bruins not any more. 

3 hours ago, khay said:

Should be 4 SCF games. The puck was gone already, the shoulder made direct contact with the head.

Kind of like Rome hit. If Rome hit was 4 games, this is 4 games. If this is 1 game, Rome hit should have been 1 game. Which is it NHL? 

Not at all like Rome hit.  Completely different hit. 

Also Johansson didn't miss a shift. Rome missed rest of SCF after game 3 AND it effectively ended his career.

Horton suffered a sevear concussion. He was only 26yrs old and never the same and retired soon after..

IMO Rome could have got more for than 4 games for that hit. He got 5 min major and game. Plus 4 games. 

3 hours ago, elvis15 said:

That was just him trying to avoid landing flat on his back. By pushing off with his right leg it allowed him to twist and land on his side instead.

No the natural reaction is to try to spin and try to get his upper torso turned around. So he could land on his shoulder, facing downward, and 'see' where he's landing. But he threw himself backwards. Dive.

4 hours ago, elvis15 said:

It's been 8 years. Let it go already.

But on the hit, totally illegal and can't find fault with the suspension. Barbashev just has to hit through the body and he'd be fine.

I will try to let it go but I don't think I will be able to until we win a cup.

4 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Not at all like Rome hit.  Completely different hit. 

Also Johansson didn't miss a shift. Rome missed rest of SCF after game 3 AND it effectively ended his career.

Horton suffered a sevear concussion. He was only 26yrs old and never the same and retired soon after..

IMO Rome could have got more for than 4 games for that hit. He got 5 min major and game. Plus 4 games. 

Right, Rome hit was harder and made more contact with the body before the head. Horton hits his head on the ice hard after the hit. 

Calling a penalty is up to the refs. Refs missed Barbashev's penalty, it's not surprising given their incapability to see and call penalties. They called 5 mins on Rome because Horton was clearly injured.

I don't agree that it should have been more than 4 games. It, unfortunately, caused severe injury to Horton but was it Rome's hit or was the damage caused by the impact upon hitting the ice? That sort of hit (Rome's hit) happens all the time in the NHL and if the NHL determines suspension based on the severity of the injury, then they are effectively removing hits from the game because the players don't know exactly how much damage a hit will cause to an opponent. For example, Daniel got hit from the blindside by Kadri once. There was no penalty because it was body first then head, not even a penalty I think. Fortunately, Daniel didn't hit the ice head first. Therefore, he escaped major concussion. Why was Kadri not even suspended? Contact with the body first then head and no severe injury to Daniel? So it was just luck that Kadri escaped suspension then? If Daniel hit his head first and if that hit ended his career, should Kadri have been suspended 25 games? 

Anyway, this is more about the NHL and how they screwed us in 2011. I should probably let it go.

16 hours ago, combover said:

lol. 

Sorry but it’s just silly. The guys committed to the  hit he doesn’t jump or lead with the elbow or even follow through with the elbow the Bruin is passing and his head is lowered. I get players and there heath need to be protected but it’s not a dirty head targeting hit. 

I guess the bruins cried enough so the league had to assist them....again. 

The big bad bruins not any more. 

You forgot one: the player must hit squarely through the body. Barbashev doesn't do this, and leads too far ahead of the body when lining up the hit. It causes him to unnecessarily pick the head whether he meant to do so or not. That makes it illegal even though he doesn't jump, raise the elbow or anything else.

13 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

No the natural reaction is to try to spin and try to get his upper torso turned around. So he could land on his shoulder, facing downward, and 'see' where he's landing. But he threw himself backwards. Dive.

Hmm, looked pretty clear to me he was able to spin because of that push off when already falling backwards and did land on his side. If he wanted to sell it he would have flopped directly backwards, and not twist.

Edited by elvis15

1 hour ago, elvis15 said:

Hmm, looked pretty clear to me he was able to spin because of that push off when already falling backwards and did land on his side. If he wanted to sell it he would have flopped directly backwards, and not twist.

Dude got hit behind his left knee so in follow thru should twist to his right, with the momentum of the hit. But he gets hit behind his left knee then twists backwards to his 'left'.

4 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Dude got hit behind his left knee so in follow thru should twist to his right, with the momentum of the hit. But he gets hit behind his left knee then twists backwards to his 'left'.

That same dude had also just finished shooting the puck to his left up the boards and had been starting to twist that way as a result when contact to his left leg was made. I don't know if you were any good at physics (rhetorical question by the way), but two equal forces meeting tend to cancel each other out. If he hadn't added a little more force to help him turn, he would have landed flat on his back.

Edited by elvis15

4 hours ago, elvis15 said:

That same dude had also just finished shooting the puck to his left up the boards and had been starting to twist that way as a result when contact to his left leg was made. I don't know if you were any good at physics (rhetorical question by the way), but two equal forces meeting tend to cancel each other out. If he hadn't added a little more force to help him turn, he would have landed flat on his back.

Shooting the puck had nothing to do with that moment.

• Wat 1